All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX495, cannot see data
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all,

Would love some advice on the following issue:

My EX495 has been in storage for a year, and upon switching back on, had the solid red health light. No problem, did a server reset, all went well up until reinstalling the windows home connector software, where it errored out at reconfiguring backups.

After switching off and on again, I now have the following issues (and I did try installing WHC software three times).

1. Red critical health light constantly on software, indicating backups are not configured correctly.

2. More importantly, can click on shared files, and see all files on hard drives, but cannot access any files.

3. Sans Digital external storage drives are not reconnecting to ex495.

Any help greatly received,

Sean

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well I do know there has been a security update from Microsoft a few months ago.
Maybe you were caught in the interim of the update and just need to try again.
also you may need to delete all software on the pc and install from the server not the cd.

Don't forget to reboot all. Just in case.

the san digital is another issue where it just happens.
so I would discount that for now.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the reply, I uninstalled WHS Connector software, and then reinstalled from the server. Result was the same, no problems joining whs, but an error occurs when "configuring computer backup"?

Any more ideas welcomed,

Sean

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:47 am 

Hi tiger6969 Welcome to the Forums!

Can you back up a bit and tell me about the Type of Recovery you recently performed and about the Sans Digital Enclosure if it was connected or not during the recovery?

In part the issues your experiencing could very well be with the drives in the Sans Digital Enclosure not being seen by the server and the question is what is inhibiting the drives in the enclosure from being seen and it could be a few things like a bad or poorly seated eSATA or USB Cable depending on how its physically connected. It could be a failure on the backplane or the PSU in the enclosure.

If your server is missing just one storage pool drive the backup service will not run, you will see warnings about file corruption and the server will also report drives as missing. Not sure what type of recovery you performed which is why I started off with the question I did and the term rest is not quite clear. There are two types of Recoveries the first being a Factory Recovery which will place the server back to the way it was when you first acquired it and it will format all connected drives in the server. If you performed a Factory Recovery with all the drives disconnected then they will get formatted when you add them back to the storage pool. The second type of Recovery is a Server Recovery which will preserve all your data but you would need to have your drives connected to the server for it to work properly.

Again the initial question I started off with has a purpose to allowing myself and others to properly assist you and to get your server fully functional so you can resume using it they way your accustom.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,

Thanks very much for the response and assistance.

I performed a server recovery with the DVD from HP, and everything went perfectly up until the WHS connector software install. The install of the connector errored out when configuring backup services, and as you have said, I did not have the sans digital enclosure connected.

I am now without connector installed, and when I go in to my Network, can see the hpstorage (server), and see all the directory structure (intact), but when I try to view a file, or use software on the server, I get the message "windows cannot access..." and "you do not have permission". All very weird, I am guessing it is something in the network settings, but do not have the knowledge required to fix the problem.

Sean

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:53 am 

Ok the Drives in the Sans Digital Enclosure if they were Part of the Storage Pool needed to be connected to the server during the Server Recovery so that WHS could properly rebuild your Storage Pool.

Without being able to install the Console Software your server can not be configured so there is no way to access the server as your use to unless the console software was installed and you were able to assign the server password, name, create user accounts, file shares, download and install Server Updates.

If I am correct then you will need to perform another Server Recovery and you will also need to have all the Storage Pool Drives connected to the server for it to work properly. You should also make certain that all your drives are in good condition.

May I ask why you needed to perform a recovery?

What is wrong with the SANS Digital Enclosure?

You mention that the server was in storage for a year so does this also mean the data on your server is not very important to you or do you have it backed up?

If the data is not of great importance to you then you can just perform a FACTORY RECOVERY but only have the System Drive connected to the server, set the server up, download all the updates from HP and Microsoft then you can add in the storage pool drives but they would then be formatted and any data on them would be lost.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorted, thanks very much for the help. Did another server restore with sans digital enclosure connected, and all is working perfectly, thanks again

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:33 pm 

Good to hear and hopefully the next time you need to perform a recovery you will not run into so many issues because now you know how to do it properly.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks