It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dpjkw wrote:
Thanks Guys. "It's Alive". DIEHARD you were correct, it must have been a time issue. Once time was corrected it worked.
:sanjuan: :chicken:

Glad you got it up and running. Sure a lot easier to restore this way. Thanks to DieHard for that!

Enjoy the Ex495!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:52 pm 

My EX490 OS drive (Seagate 1GB) died due to sector errors, which led me to this forum. Thanks for all the great write-ups on a range of topics!

In this case, and despite all my OS and networking experience, I too could not figure out why the WHS Server Recovery v3.0 process was "failing on step 2 of 4". Most notable was that the tftp DHCP-server never handed out IP addresses. Both the WHS and PC need to grab an IP.

Then I saw up2date's post about updating \PXE\tftpd32.exe, and it worked! I grabbed the v4.00 standard zip from ...

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

... and burned a replacement DVD.

I'm doing a recovery now so I can verify I have all the data captured on offsite drives, then I may consider a factory reset to start fresh. I get the impression that recovery's don't always leave the system clean.

--Siletzspey

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

580guy wrote:
I guess you must have edited you post. Got an email notification you were questioning the files you need. There are links in the pdf to download the required files which still should work.

One set is to make the bootable usb thumb drive, which is used to start your server and put it into recovery mode. (EX490_USB_boot.rar)

The other set is used to make your recovery CD which you run from your pc (not bootable, just run the recovery program.) You copy the recovery image (volume.image) off of your EX495 recovery disc into the Recovery Image folder in this file set, and then burn them to a disc. (EX490_Server_Restore.rar)

Hope this helps. Once you take the time to get this all set up, it really makes restores simple. It has worked every time for me, without all the headaches I have read about in many forums. As I said earlier, I don't even connect directly, just leave everything as is on my router.

For convenience I also copied over the Connector software to the file set before I burned the disc. That way you'll have it handy as that's pretty much the next step after the restore. It doesn't matter if it's an older version, as it will access the server for it's version when you run it, and install that one to the client pc.

I am trying to perform a Server Recovery using your USB method. Things were going well until the last step. It stated that the server was being rebooted and may take 5 minutes. I didn't remove the USB stick at that time. Waited for 20 minutes and the server is not up. Just seeing the health indicator flash red and white.

Also do I need to burn to a DVD or can I just run the Server Recovery from my HDD?

Any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You should remove the USB stick before you reboot the server or else you are starting the recovery mode again.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
thorin33
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:45 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Diehard wrote:
You should remove the USB stick before you reboot the server or else you are starting the recovery mode again.

Thanks...I'll try the Server Recovery again tomorrow morning...missing steps as it getting late. I'll update again tomorrow.

Update:

I performed the Server Recovery and got to the last screen in the Recovery Wizard where it states that the server will complete and may restart multiple times. I remembered to remove the USB stick after the recovery started. Now the health indicator light is flashing blue and that's it. Can't install the connector software as it can't find the server. I should mention that I have 2 data drives in the ex 495 as well as a SANS Digital 4 bay e-SATA enclosure. I kept the disks in (including powering on the enclosure) during the server recovery. How long should I wait for the server to come back where the leds are pulsating?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got to the same result before using the actual HP Recovery DVD. May have to resort to a Factory Reset and manually recover the data off the data drives if this doesn't work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good news...server recovery worked and server restarted.

Bad news...for whatever reason the server restore formatted one of my data drives and put the OS on it as well. So I had the OS on the system disk as well as my first data drive. One thing to note for others is that the second bay was empty as I pulled a bad drive out of it. Not sure if this is what caused the issue. Anyway...going to try and recover my data as much as possible and then perform a factory reset.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 am 

I tried the USB recovery method, but my server was never found. The health status light continues to blink red and white. My steps:

Prepare the USB drive as outlined in the document... started with the linked-to RAR, copied boot.wim and the Realtek drivers to the USB drive after formatting.
Prepare the recovery software by starting with the RAR and copying the Recovery Image folder.

Using this method won't start the tftp server, which included a DHCP server. How will the server and the client talk without getting IP addresses assigned? Do I have to manually assign on to my PC for this method to work?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am 

ARamos8 wrote:
I recently had to perform a restore on my EX490. What I did was the following and performed the process 10 times and had success every single time. I did the exact opposite of the 3rd dialog box during the recovery process.

1. Uninstalled the connector software
2. Turned off the firewall wall on my PC.
3. Turned off my AV on my PC.
4. Used the MediaSmartServer provided cat5 cable and connected the PC directly to the WHS.
5. Left the PC in DHCP.
6. I inserted the Recovery disk into the PC.
7. Pressed "next", then accepted the "EULA", then pressed "next" to see the green progress bar.
8. I powered up the WHS box, and paper clipped it during the blue/red light dance.
9. In no time, it was in recovery mode. I continued with the default "next".
10. When I got to the "Finished" screen, WHS is rebooting at this point (5 min is the dialog message), I plugged the WHS box back into the router, I plugged up my PC back into the router as well and continued with the message prompts.
11. Server was back online and being setup just like I pulled it out of the box for the first time.
12. Once the server setup completed I returned my PC's security level back to normal, Avast and native Windows firewall on.

Did the same thing with my kids PC - Vista Home, Netbook - XP Pro and my PC - Vista Ultimate many times with success.

Doing it this way I suspect that both the WHS PXE request (during bootup) and the TFTP ack (step #9) do not time out on eachother causing the process to generate the famous "N out 4 step failed". Also, I would like to point out that I did have those errors when using the Cat5 that is attached to my PC. When I switched to the HP MSS provided cat5 it never failed. I have no explination for that one there (I'm a big gamer and never have any connection issues with my trusty cat5). ](*,)

I think many will find their own unique way to perform a factory reset/recovery that will work for them. I figured I'd post the process that has hit 10 for 10 for me and offer a different approach. Thanks for your viewing time.

Later days.... :D

Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to ARamos8 - after scratching our heads for days and researching hundreds of posts, this process worked like a charm.

To be clear, the difference from the normal process is that what you need to do (as ARamos8 points out) is finish his Step 7 before you start the server. I say again, hit next after starting the restore software THEN start the server.

We tried all the other tips like half 100mpbs, network cables, safemode (although this is still a smart idea), static and dynamic IPs - none worked. We rebooted the process about 20 times .. until we found this brilliant idea.

ARamos8, you are a golden god! :cheers:

After nearly being completely put off the WHS experience, I am now 100% turned around and will happily do a Server Recovery again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My server suddenly became unreachable the other day, and I can't RDP in either. Rebooting it gives me a solid red health indicator and no drive lights at all. I have tried recovery multiple times, failing at step four of four with an 'unidentified error'. Status light check shows four red/one white, indicating Recovery Mode failed. :|

I have attached the tftpd logs for anyone that might understand them and possibly give some insights into what's going wrong. Also tftpd closes midway through the 'Working' progress bar, and the network light on the EX495 goes out.

I'm slowly slogging through this thread and trying the bazillion different things suggested by others. I have so far:
- Copied the recovery CD directly to my hard drive.
- Updated the tftpd.exe file to the newest one available
- Tried clicking the 'Next' button on the recovery dialog both before and after the paper clip reset.

Also any insights on settings for my network card that may help are appreciated. Device manager on my PC shows an Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection and a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, both of which are set to defaults.

I loaded the system drive into a external USB enclosure, I can see the SYS partition and all the folders/files appear to be there.

I should have practiced this a long time ago to work through the kinks, I'm not feeling good about possibly losing a large chunk of data. Help me Mister Wizard....

Attachments:
recoverytftpd32.txt [6.5 KiB]
Downloaded 850 times
tftpd32.jpg
tftpd32.jpg [ 61.96 KiB | Viewed 32458 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:10 pm 

Review the messages in this thread and see if helps you out: => viewtopic.php?p=67809#p67809

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

OK, looks like the SYS drive had went south. Even though the files all looked fine, running SeaTools showed that SMART had tripped with over 4000 Read Allocation errors. Tried to repair with SeaTools, no bueno. Had a spare 1.5TB drive, wiped the partition and put it in. Ran plain vanilla Recovery straight off the CD, everything went well and the server is 'breathing' and downloading updates.

Fingers crossed that there wasn't any data on the old drive other than what was in the SYS partition....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:52 pm 

To view data on any WHS drive you need to set the computer to be able to view hidden files and folders. This will allow you to see the hidden folder DE and in there you will find any data which exists on the drive.

After you finish the server recovery you will need configure the server again. If your server complains about your backup database being corrupt and then recommends repairing it please IGNORE this message and download and install all the HP and MS updates until no updates are available. At this point the warning about the backup database should go away. If you repair the database before all the updates are installed you will most likely lose some or all of the client backup data.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
mikemcm1956
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Life is good once again, nothing lost and the restore went just fine once I realized that the SYS drive had went bad. I actually think it was the DATA partition of the drive rather than the SYS, since I could access everything fine on SYS with the drive out of the server. I'm certain there was nothing stored on the DATA partition, since I still had over a TB available on the other pool drives.

I'm going to have to do a better job of monitoring drive health. The server has just ran the way it was supposed to for the last four years, I never paid much attention to it. Guess I'll register my install of Adminime to get email notifications of any potential problems in the future.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello All

I was able to get to the stage where its presents me with two options

1. Server Recovery

2. Factory Reset

I select option 1 or 2 it does not matter, all I get is after a few minutes a message

" The Factory Reset operation failed because your computer cannot connect to Server. Click help for information about fixing the problem. Click Finish to reboot your server"

Can some one please help me what options I have at this time

Thanks

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next