It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:17 pm 

Finally pulled the trigger and bought an ex495. Arrives Monday. Just found this forum, awesome!

I am moderately technical, and have been trying to figure out how many and what kind of drives I should add. I am thinking it would be easiest to do this before I install all the clients.

We have lots of duplicate pictures and songs stored on the four plus PCs we have at home. I am planning to configure the Media Collector to organize by Date to eliminate dups.

Again, any and all hints for initial and optimal set-up are appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:37 pm 

bozluk wrote:
Finally pulled the trigger and bought an ex495. Arrives Monday. Just found this forum, awesome!

I am moderately technical, and have been trying to figure out how many and what kind of drives I should add. I am thinking it would be easiest to do this before I install all the clients.

We have lots of duplicate pictures and songs stored on the four plus PCs we have at home. I am planning to configure the Media Collector to organize by Date to eliminate dups.

Again, any and all hints for initial and optimal set-up are appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

Welcome to the forum :mss:

Most people here use the Western Digital GP drives or the Seagate LP Drives ( I think I have something like 8 WD GP 1TB drives and 2 Seagate LP 1.5TB drives). These drives runo n average 5 degrees F cooler then the 7200 RPM versions (Caviar Black and Barraccuda). Best bet would be to set up your EX495. After it is set up you can add a drive or two. Probably just set it up with one computer for a few days (testing out backup, etc...). This will give you a good indication that everything is working fine before you start adding the rest of your computers to the EX495, etc...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:55 pm 

Terrible commute home with the Bay Bridge out!

Thanks for the hint, makes sense. Get the ex set up and running with one pc. I imagine once I add the extra drive I will be prompted to have the "duplicate" option turned on for data protection on the ex. I did not realize that it does not do RAID.

Thanks, and any and all other hints appreciated.....the user manual has way too many pages! OK, call me a wimp for even looking at the manual before the machine arrives, but I am excited. I have tried a variety of NAS units over the years and taken them all back. I tried the Linksys last month and returned that after I read about the HP.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:21 pm 

bozluk wrote:
Terrible commute home with the Bay Bridge out!

Thanks for the hint, makes sense. Get the ex set up and running with one pc. I imagine once I add the extra drive I will be prompted to have the "duplicate" option turned on for data protection on the ex. I did not realize that it does not do RAID.

Thanks, and any and all other hints appreciated.....the user manual has way too many pages! OK, call me a wimp for even looking at the manual before the machine arrives, but I am excited. I have tried a variety of NAS units over the years and taken them all back. I tried the Linksys last month and returned that after I read about the HP.

Basically when you add a second hard drive it will ask you whether you want to add to the pool or not. Just go ahead and add to the pool. In the WHS console you would just go to the "Shared Folders" icon which will list out all the shared folders. From there just select a folde, click properties, and then you can enable duplication.

Nothing wrong with getting excited, we are all tech geeks at heart!!!

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I would also add the Samsung drives to the list above. I'm a big fan of Samsung drives and have had good luck with using them almost exclusively for last 5 years or so. I ran EcoGreen F1 1Tb drives in my EX470 before selling it, and am now running EcoGreen F2 1.5Tb drives in my EX490. They are very quiet and run very cool. They also benchmark very favorably against WD and Seagate drives, and often come out ahead.

Here are the temperatures (at idle) I observed using various drives in EX490 (with ambient room temperature around 74 F):
- 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 (stock EX490 drive) runs at 35 C as system drive and 33 C as storage drive.
- 1Tb Samsung F2EG drive runs at 27 C as system drive and 25 C as storage drive.
- 1.5Tb Samsung F2EG drive runs at 29 C as system drive and 27 C as storage drive.

Thanks