It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3.0 Patch 1 is live
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:48 am 

I'm seeing a ton of activity with the process opening and closing mssdb.db (appears to be an sqlite db) in D:\folders\{2D2552D3-5884-4D18-9608-DC65BB76026A}. So I stopped the service, removed the db, and I don't think it's chewing the HD's too bad now.

Unfortunately the CPU is still running from it, and it's definitely still accessing that file. If I sit in explorer and hit F5 a ton, I can see a .db-journal file pop in and out all the time.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:12 am 
Founder
Founder

That's the media collector, try disabling it.

Edit; Sounds like you already have. I'm not sure why it'd be accessing it if the Collector is disabled. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

My System Status Screen locked solid this morning. Haven't had the time yet to try and reboot the Server. HP still has some work to do on this patch. However...I've not had any drive light errors! I'll try the Sleep Cycle and Remote Access later this weekend.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

My status tab got the error this morning at midnight, and the drive lights locked up too. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I agree with akgem. Also, did you load any add-ins, or is this a vanilla system after the restore?

Unsure to whom you are "typing," but mine is vanilla...

Lee

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

[/quote]

Lee, even though I seem to have the same issues, I don't have any ASP.NET errors (now, that is; I used to get timeout errors for the media connector push client every 2 minutes on both the server and client computers) and my registry doesn't contain any "C?:\" entries. What key had those values on your server?[/quote]
My registry actually had "C?\" entries....I was mistaken, no ":"

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jasonstuff wrote:
I'm seeing a ton of activity with the process opening and closing mssdb.db (appears to be an sqlite db) in D:\folders\{2D2552D3-5884-4D18-9608-DC65BB76026A}. So I stopped the service, removed the db, and I don't think it's chewing the HD's too bad now.

Unfortunately the CPU is still running from it, and it's definitely still accessing that file. If I sit in explorer and hit F5 a ton, I can see a .db-journal file pop in and out all the time.

Jason - that folder location you mentioned, above, also represents a registry entry. While doing research, I noticed it was related to the collector service. As I searched the registry for "collector" I found that there are 3 files being loaded related to the collector service and one of them is missing on my machine!!!!

So- here's the final solution...not pretty, but it resolved my problem!!!! Rename all the individual files in "c:\program files\hewlett-packard\HP Mediasmart Server\MediaCollect*.*" to something with a different extension..... Then, go into the HomeServerConsole folder (same directory) and rename all the files in the add-ins subdirectory for the MediaCollector. These TWO things, will remove the problem with processor churning, no more errors related to MediaCollector and the option to control it is removed from the console. This is NOT a permanent solution, but will work until HP resolves this! Enjoy the fix!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:17 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
My status tab got the error this morning at midnight, and the drive lights locked up too. :(

I take it then that HP is aware that this 'patch' did not solve all of the problems. Are they working on another?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:40 pm 
Founder
Founder

TechVet wrote:
yakuza wrote:

I take it then that HP is aware that this 'patch' did not solve all of the problems. Are they working on another?

I do not know at this time, if we can get repro steps I can pass them along. I have not been told of any future plans for the 3.0 software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:57 am 

Ok; I solved the churning issue by

- stopping the HP Media Connector service on the server
- removing the mssdb file
- reinstalling the oem.msi client update patch on all clients
- restarting the server

Things seem to have calmed down now. Of course, I haven't re-enabled Media Collector so time will tell.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:32 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

What a disaster. I stand by my remarks that I have made on the blog. This patch has been rushed out the door. HP must have gotten nervous after user complaints skyrocketed. Despite knowing it better, I did download the update and had a some problems as well.

1. The load was heavy on my EX495 for 2 days solid. And I have two cores, so I am pretty sure that the EX490's will be busy for a few days. After a few days this settles down though.

2. The HP scipt stops (HP info center tab) working erradically and without notice. You can't even disable and restart it. You need to reboot at this point - no other chance.

Right now everything is quiet ... Maybe the eye of the hurricane is just passing over me as we speak !
Cheers,
Lars

Apple Network infrastructure & 2 Apple TVs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:05 am 
Founder
Founder

Lars, if you mean the Server Status tab for your second point, I too encounter that error about once ever 2-3 days. I've passed on details to HP and asked for a status update on it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, it finally got mad at me for not patching my Mac. Not that it told me I needed to. After patching (why do you need to restard the HPMediaServices after every client update?) it would not let me use Time Machine, said there was a network error. Turns out the software on the Mac side loses it's mind and forgets the username on the server (Administrator), the password, and even (sometimes) the name of the server.

Great jorb, HP!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Alex,

Yep that's it. And this only occurred since Patch 1. Well I have to admit though that I only had the box for three weeks prior to Patch 1.

Cheers,
Lars

Apple Network infrastructure & 2 Apple TVs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

HP has told me they are aware of the "Server Status crash" (my words) issue, but gave me no details on when a fix would be available. I'll update if I learn more.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next