It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3.0 Patch 1 is live
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Lots of private server info in the log entries - too much to redact. Sorry folks. Alex, PM of content sent.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
TechVet, check the Application Event Viewer logs, do you see a .NET error with an exception in homeserver.dll prior to that status message?

Lee, I'd suggest checking the Application Event Viewer logs and Home Server logs to see what might be going on. I've done two patch installs so far with no ill effects though I do notice heavy load for the first several hours after the patch install.

Alex - I too, get continuous ASP.NET errors... However, my server utilization problem seems to be HPMSSService.exe specific... after re-enabling the service, the ONLY error that appeared was as follows, althought I wonder if the ASP.NET errors are related to the below AND the high utilization?:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: HPModuleService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/15/2009
Time: 9:48:05 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HPSERVER
Description:
RunnableTypes(ServerTourAddIn.dll)
Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Message:Could not load file or assembly 'AddInView, Version=3.0.6.31983, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3ccc53c20ca793b' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Source:mscorlib
StackTrace:
at System.Reflection.Assembly._GetExportedTypes()
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExportedTypes()
at HpmssService.AppDomRunner.RunnableTypes(FileInfo file, Type interfaceType)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:58 am 
Founder
Founder

HPMSSService.exe is a container for all the HP Services that run, such as the health monitor, disk monitor, software updates, etc. By disabling it you, you turn off a large portion of the core infrastructure.

It appears your update may not have gone smoothly. If a reboot doesn't resolve the issue, I'd probably suggest a server recovery.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:06 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
HPMSSService.exe is a container for all the HP Services that run, such as the health monitor, disk monitor, software updates, etc. By disabling it you, you turn off a large portion of the core infrastructure.

It appears your update may not have gone smoothly. If a reboot doesn't resolve the issue, I'd probably suggest a server recovery.

Alex - I have been scouring the registry to determine what's going on... strangely, a few entries in the HP section where the server loads Twonky, and other add-ins, are looking for dll's in "c?:\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx" and others are looking for "c:\xxx\xx\xxxx"

Could this be contributing to the problem??? Should I manually change the registry? The "C?:\" entries don't look right....

Lee

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 am 
Founder
Founder

I doubt the registry is where any problems reside, and with the xxx's I have no clue what paths you are referring to, unfortunately. The entire WHS OS runs off the C: partition, I'd probably recommend against changing paths in the registry unless you know what you are changing. Messing that up will almost certainly result in the necessity of a Server Recovery.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am 
Founder
Founder

Can you guys try the "Launch Photo Viewer" link in the server console? Mine is broken. :(

Exception type: FileNotFoundException
Exception message: Could not find file 'D:\folders\{6F8B59FA-07A0-46D2-B10C-034EA1B39AB0}\PhotoViewer\index.xml'.

Update: My Client Control Center link is broken with the same error.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Photo Viewer is working on my box. Where do I find the Client Control Center Link?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hmm ok. :-k I've been experimenting with ways to get the Rollback button enabled safely, so that must have caused an issue. I did a server recovery last night after breaking things pretty solidly, so I can't blame the patch for this.

The Control Center is the HP shortcut on your PC desktop.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Okay... That works fine too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I doubt the registry is where any problems reside, and with the xxx's I have no clue what paths you are referring to, unfortunately. The entire WHS OS runs off the C: partition, I'd probably recommend against changing paths in the registry unless you know what you are changing. Messing that up will almost certainly result in the necessity of a Server Recovery.

Alex - I did a server recovery and alas, the same issue appears - HPMSSService just chews up my entire processor! I am getting extremely frustrated with this.... unfortunately, the update Patch1 was applied immediately after the recovery, so I cannot determine if it was there prior to the recovery.... Any thoughts????

Lee

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

leeladisky wrote:

Alex - I did a server recovery and alas, the same issue appears - HPMSSService just chews up my entire processor! I am getting extremely frustrated with this.... unfortunately, the update Patch1 was applied immediately after the recovery, so I cannot determine if it was there prior to the recovery.... Any thoughts????

Lee

If you disconnect the Internet connection to your MSS during recovery, it won't be able to download the patch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

I agree with akgem. Also, did you load any add-ins, or is this a vanilla system after the restore?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:24 am 

Having the same issue as Lee. Since the update, HPMssService was near 100% CPU and constant disk activity. This is with a vanilla ex490 with McAfee and WHS BDBB installed.

I originally thought it was the Media Collector but I disabled that for all PC's, reset the db, stopped Twonky, and it's still going nuts.

Process Explorer indicated that one .NET thread was really taking up most of the time.. the "start address" was mscorwks.dll!CorExitProcess+0x21ef9. It looks like there may be some process that HPmssService spawned and then exited, and that is causing some issue.

Still researching it..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:32 am 

leeladisky wrote:
yakuza wrote:

Alex - I have been scouring the registry to determine what's going on... strangely, a few entries in the HP section where the server loads Twonky, and other add-ins, are looking for dll's in "c?:\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx" and others are looking for "c:\xxx\xx\xxxx"

Could this be contributing to the problem??? Should I manually change the registry? The "C?:\" entries don't look right....

Lee

Lee, even though I seem to have the same issues, I don't have any ASP.NET errors (now, that is; I used to get timeout errors for the media connector push client every 2 minutes on both the server and client computers) and my registry doesn't contain any "C?:\" entries. What key had those values on your server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:34 am 

leeladisky wrote:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: HPModuleService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/15/2009
Time: 9:48:05 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HPSERVER
Description:
RunnableTypes(ServerTourAddIn.dll)
Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Message:Could not load file or assembly 'AddInView, Version=3.0.6.31983, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3ccc53c20ca793b' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Source:mscorlib
StackTrace:
at System.Reflection.Assembly._GetExportedTypes()
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExportedTypes()
at HpmssService.AppDomRunner.RunnableTypes(FileInfo file, Type interfaceType)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I do have this in my event log. I'm going to open up HpmssService in RedGate Reflector to see if I can track down what's happening.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next