It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

FYI, I wasn't able to do the swap out and restore UNTIL I first "initialized" the EX495, which means I had to let it go thru the intial setup before I could do a restore (using the EX470's system and data drives). Until I did this, the server would just keep rebooting..I had to connect a monitor to see this happening.

It's as if the BIOS is flagged somehow during the initial setup...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, looks like the recover process still isn't working for me. I rebooted the EX495 while pressing the recessed button, but it just stays in the DHCP....search mode. Never finds the recovery client running on my desktop machine. I see the server gets an IP issued....but the recovery client is not finding it for some reason.

If anyone has any pointers...I'd greatly appreciate them! Until then, I'll keep poking around.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm wondering how to do the same thing, although I do not have my 495 until tomorrow! I cannot see copying almost 5GB's of data between the two machines to make it work... not a great use of time or resources.

Have you tried rebooting the router? I assume that you have moved the drives over and have disconnected the 475 from the network?

I'm wondering if the recovery disks are model specific.... in other words, recovering a 475 requires 475 disks, recovering a 495 requires 495 disks, etc. I wonder if there's a file on the recovery disks that can be modded to force a recovery... What happens if you just move the data drives over to the new 495? Will they be recognized without erasing the data?

Anyone with suggestions???

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

This was posted by dindale at wegotserved:

Quote:
The EX495 required a direct Ethernet connection to the computer running the restore disc (you could do it over a network on the EX470). It also would not work until I disconnected the external eSATA/USB devices that held my additional disks - and the 3 internal disks had to be pulled. Essentially, I kicked off a server restore with just the 1.5TB system disc installed. Once the restore process began I inserted the remaining internal drives and plugged in the external units. Unbelieveably - that was it! The restore process recognized the shares and rebuilt everything with no additional steps involved. I re-created my users and settings - and I was up and running.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
soundneedle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

On my desktop machine running the recovery client, it start an (Tftpd32) EXE to discover the server. The log from that EXE shows this:

Rcvd DHCP inform Msg for IP 192.168.0.196, Mac 00:00:00:00:00:00 [08/10 16:05:53.129]
Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:00:00:00:00:00 [08/10 16:06:21.177]
DHCP: proposed address 169.37.37.37 [08/10 16:06:21.213]
1724 Request 2 not processed [08/10 16:06:21.291]

I interpret this to mean the desktop recovery client sees the server (confirmed using MAC), but for some reason the server is not accepting the IP assignment (169.37.37.37). This loops until the recovery client fails from timing out (step 1 of 4).
The server displays "PXE-ME53: No boot filename received".

I'm using windows 7 X64 w/o firewall. I'll try rebooting my router and then using XP x86.

Last edited by soundneedle on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
This was posted by dindale at wegotserved:

Quote:
The EX495 required a direct Ethernet connection to the computer running the restore disc (you could do it over a network on the EX470). It also would not work until I disconnected the external eSATA/USB devices that held my additional disks - and the 3 internal disks had to be pulled. Essentially, I kicked off a server restore with just the 1.5TB system disc installed. Once the restore process began I inserted the remaining internal drives and plugged in the external units. Unbelieveably - that was it! The restore process recognized the shares and rebuilt everything with no additional steps involved. I re-created my users and settings - and I was up and running.

WOW...never would've tried that. I connected the ethernet server to desktop....recovery now finds the server and is continuing. Thanks for pasting that one, cavediver!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Results are in...

Recovery appears to have been an absolute success! All my EX470 stuff is now in the EX490---shares, backups, even the computers/clients. A successful transplant!

Just remember to connect the EX495 directly to the desktop machine (running the recovery).

Last edited by soundneedle on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:13 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

soundneedle wrote:
Just remember to connect the EX495 directly to the EX470 during the recovery.

Don't you mean "directly to the PC during the recovery"?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

Just a note, those are the actual instructions. Server Recovery has changed in the EX49x series, there is no longer a flash disk and instead the server loads the bootable OS off the Recovery DVD via direct connection with the Client PC. This is meant to reduce the recovery errors some people experienced as well as reduce cost of the server by removing the flash memory.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:47 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Good for you.. I'm jealous...some of us haven't been so lucky

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5582

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

OP, can you provide a bit more detail about doing this? Is there an option in the server recovery for doing this data migration that you mention? You mention being able to recover both the data and system drives. How exactly does this take place?

I have an EX485 and am considering a similar data migration, versus the pain in the arse of having to reinstall everything as well as having to move over all of my data shares.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
OP, can you provide a bit more detail about doing this? Is there an option in the server recovery for doing this data migration that you mention? You mention being able to recover both the data and system drives. How exactly does this take place?

I have an EX485 and am considering a similar data migration, versus the pain in the arse of having to reinstall everything as well as having to move over all of my data shares.

Thanks.

I followed the instructions provided here:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/08 ... -hardware/

Although, I did not have any issues with existing backups. Everything went smoothly once I connected the ex495 directly to my desktop PC for the recovery. Have not had any issues to-date.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

soundneedle wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:

Thanks.

I followed the instructions provided here:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/08 ... -hardware/

Although, I did not have any issues with existing backups. Everything went smoothly once I connected the ex495 directly to my desktop PC for the recovery. Have not had any issues to-date.

Okay, thanks. I would want to upgrade my system drive to a higher capacity and more energy efficient drive, so it looks like I'd still have to reinstall all of my add-ons and other goodies if I went this route, but it's still good that I would potentially not have to reload or copy all of my shares.

Thanks