It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

http://reviews.cnet.com/soho-servers/hp ... 72486.html?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:26 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Interesting, if not a little flawed. The part about the USB ports on the back is a bit misleading. To say their sole function is for storage is just plain wrong. I have two of mine being used for my home automation stuff. One goes to my RCS Home Controller for programming and debugging (via a RS232 emulator) and the other goes to a UPB PIM. They also reference TZO as TOZ. There maybe other errors as well, but those are the ones that caught my eye. At the end, they seem to want to try and put the LX195 ahead of the the EX series based on slightly faster read/write speeds. Uh.. yea...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:22 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Decent 'light' review but 'the bad' is BS... They mark it down for not doing tinkery-type things when they clearly didn't even try to tinker with it.

It's not *that* hard to install a printer (even if it's not an advertised/supported function). They obviously didn't even try to log into the remote desktop.

Actually I'm very happy they posted some performance numbers -- even if they didn't declare how they arrived at the numbers. I used to frequent SNB for such things but their clear preference to the QNAP/Thecus/NicheBrandX hardware has worn my perception of their objectivity a little thin.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I found the review of poor quality, it feels like the author spent a few hours with the device. Complaining about IP cameras, I mean really, I am really disappointed with the author; I mean look at Alex's review, the CNET review does not have 1/10 the thought and input as Alex's. I guess we shouldn't complain since it got 4/5 stars and that is what 90% of the viewers are going to focus on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:45 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

:offtopic: Over the last few years it seems like most of the reviews and, particularly, most of the performance measures have gone downhill on virtually all the "magazine" sites. Performance figures are unsupported and frequently focused on the wrong things. Functions reviewed are either inaccurate, too cursory or focused on things that really are not germain to the main purpose of the item(s) being reviewed.

It seems especially bad for hardware reviews.

I can only ass-u-me that the cause is a new generation of reviewers that really are not experienced.

The exception seems to be computer games -- of which I frankly don't give a rat's a__!

Before I get flamed too badly let me state I am seeing a TREND here. There are still some good reviews. Problem is that when I need a review to make a decision it's likely for something that I am not really cognizant of and then I do not know whether the quality of the review is good or bad!

Which leaves me with two sources for information: (1) specialized sites (like the reviews here) and (2) NewEgg (where you need to see and interpolate at least 15 reviews in order to get a reasonable level of confidence).

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

:offtopic: Thanks for the comments here, both about my review and the reviews of others. As a review author I find value in hearing what is important to you all to hear. I try to point out everything I can find out about the product I am working with, and leave it up to the reader to make their ultimate decision if the pros and cons justify the purchase. I will say that I spent easily 30+ hours working with the EX495 and writing my review.

Regarding the CNET review, it's interesting that they are plugging RAID when I consider their audience to be fairly consumer oriented (meaning people not likely to know what RAID is much less how to configure it). It was also riddled with typographical errors, and some of the most important points were buried in the review, like:
Quote:
All in all we found the EX495 offers one of the easiest-to-use and most comprehensive backup solutions for a home network.

And:
Quote:
The EX495's remote access features are some of the most comprehensive and intuitive we've experienced in NAS servers.

Thanks