It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Eidos wrote:
I own 3 home servers, an EX470, and EX490 and a DIY Vail configuration.

In my experience with my EX490, the larger CPU isn't worth the hassles and the E5200 works well, runs cool using the stock CPU cooler.

If I am going to recompress movies or other extensive CPU type application, I use six core computers running at 4.2 GHZ with SSDs and max memory. A server is a server and not an answer to all your computer needs. Don’t try to make a Porsche out of a Prius. A Prius serves a great purpose and you should use it like your server for what it was designed to do.

All good points and my position as well. If you can really afford and need a server ie ( large DVD or music library, multiple home systems or laptops) , then be ready to have all the supporting equipment, Gigabit LAN, nice router, great home systems or laptop. These work and function much better than trying to jury rig the server to do 3-4 things is was not designed to do. Also the risk to your data if something goes south, it is not designed to restore or rebuild at every little problem, if you have done it once you would understand. Heat is always the enemy with electronics and will shorten its life span so keep your temps down. This website is a great to be able to see all the other ideas and Things others had done and experimented with. Keep us posted on your progress.

enjoy
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:04 pm 

I went the full hog to a Q9550S on a 495

The biggest reason, or shall I say official reason we got a WHS was because our home/office with all the computers we had needed a file server and backup function - everything else is gravy thus the reason for an HP EX495 and the add-in expandability - to have gravy

Although we have much faster computers hooked up to the 495, we do processor intensive work on the clients (along with the occaisional anydvd rip). The thought is that since the 495 is merely acting as a file server (low intensity) and because it is always on, let it do something else:

-handbrake iso files
-archive tivo > tivo decoder gui > upload to tivo
-magicjack telephone

-print server
would love for it to be but since we need to scan as well as print from our multi-function printers we have a Belkin Network USB Hub to take care of that

-torrent
have not gone beyond installing the utorrent add-in, not really sure how to work on the security settings, and not really comfortable bringing in potentially unsecure files, even with avast! AV directly to the server. presently a torrent is downloaded on a client, scanned, decompressed, scanned again, tested, then copied to server.
would love for torrents to be able to be saved to a secure location on the server without exposing data or OS.

-FTP Manager
would like to be able to use the 495 as an FTP server but i have only gone as far as reading about Filezilla and IIS FTP Server

-Remote Desktop
liked the idea of being able to remotely access files I may have forgotten while travelling

We have not really gone into the "media" part of MediaSmart

So these are the reasons why I wanted an adequately powered HP EX495 server. I guess it comes down to killing a flock (add-ins, mediasmart and server functions) with one stone (being on 24/7) - and not unreasonably so.

thanks to contributors of this forum, though I would really appreciate a more comprehensive how-to guide on successfully doing all these things. seems a collated tried-and-true guide would be appreciated by many - myself included

thanks to all that can and did help

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank in.formed for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

What is the temperature that you are operating at while using the Q9550S. I would be interested what type of performance your have at idle and at 100% load with a passive heat sink. My high end dual core simply ran hot. Every CPU is different. Even though they have the same wattage they don't seem to perform the same.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:00 pm 

my temps are:

core #0 56-62C
core #1 48-52C
core #2 48-51C
core #3 50-55C

main HD 44C
3 hard drives around 41C

hovering at about 6% CPU load while doing a server backup - it's a bit warm now
usually the processor is in the high 40's

I expected cooler, though the stock E5200 ran in the low 40's
Processor or too much Artic Silver - who knows?

But I was never in the low 30's like some others have posted - with either processor.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:42 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have the E6600 it runs about 36C at idle and 41-41C with moderate activity, Hard drives range 33----38C with 40C with heavy activity, this is with room temps in the 70s, I did see 58C with heavy encoding and 100% CPU utilization. that is down from the 62C when I first made the switch. it may come down slightly more as the Artic silver sets up. but that is alittle high for just idle. as long as you watch it for awhile and find your peak with heavy loads that should be fine. I did place a small desk fan infront of mine when I first made the switch and temps would peak at 66C under heavy loads, this would bring it down to mid to high 50C, I really dont know why they didnt put a little 40mm fan on top or across the back that was temperature controlled like most other CPUs. would have made all the upgrades less of an issue on CPUs and run longer due to better temperature control. I wish someone would make a Fan control Add in for the EX490/495 so we could adjust better for hotter CPUs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

What's better to upgrade either a 490 or 495 to a Q9550S or a Q9650? And can either be done without having to get into the BIOS? Also are the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) memory modules (can't remember which GSkills work in them) faster than the one's inside the EX495? I'm trying to decide on whether to upgrade the EX495 and not get a warranty, or else extend the HP warranty for 3 years and get either another EX495 or EX490 to upgrade. I was also wondering if anyone could post a link for that cable to allow hookup to a monitor. Sorry, one other thing I was wondering was is there a way to connect a Blu Ray Burner in an enclosure either directly to the Mediasmart to backup data and movies to blu ray discs and/or is it possible and workable to burn data and movies via the network? Thanks and hope you all are having a good New Year!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The only difference between and EX490 and the EX490 is the processor and the larger primary drive. If you are changing the processor then the EX490 is the less expensive choice. You are changing it and voiding your warranty anyway so ex490 works and you can save about $190. Regarding the BIOS there are no changes but you have to boot your server twice to see all of the cores after the changeover.

Monitor adaptor and keyboard and mouse adaptor:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

Adding and external drive:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3363

Here is a link for your memory:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9682

I have not changed the memory in my system so I can't comment on which memory to choose but there are several discussions in this thread about using 4 GIG of memory and what to use.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Eidos wrote:
The only difference between and EX490 and the EX490 is the processor and the larger primary drive. If you are changing the processor then the EX490 is the less expensive choice. You are changing it and voiding your warranty anyway so ex490 works and you can save about $190. Regarding the BIOS there are no changes but you have to boot your server twice to see all of the cores after the changeover.

Monitor adaptor and keyboard and mouse adaptor:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

Adding and external drive:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3363

Here is a link for your memory:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9682

I have not changed the memory in my system so I can't comment on which memory to choose but there are several discussions in this thread about using 4 GIG of memory and what to use.

Thanks so much! The other difference between the EX490 and EX495 is the memory it comes with as well correct? So if I get the EX490 I'll save some money, but which CPU is best to get for performance and stability between the two quads? Id love to get the most performance possible BUT as long as it doesn't get too hot, become unstable, or produce harmful effects to the hardware. Thank you for the help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:01 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I believe that the memory on both computers is the same at 2 GB DDR2. Yes you will save money and it will help pay for your new CPU.

The Q9650 is a 95 Watt CPU and I wouldn't use it as the cooling heatsink on the server is passive without a fan. The Q9550S is a 65 Watt and would be better. I have no real experience with either in this these servers but I have built many computers. Every CPU is different and some run cool and some run hot. I had a E7500 that ran hot and caused multiple problems with my server. I took it out. A 95 watt CPU will generate a lot more heat.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Eidos wrote:
I believe that the memory on both computers is the same at 2 GB DDR2. Yes you will save money and it will help pay for your new CPU.

The Q9650 is a 95 Watt CPU and I wouldn't use it as the cooling heatsink on the server is passive without a fan. The Q9550S is a 65 Watt and would be better. I have no real experience with either in this these servers but I have built many computers. Every CPU is different and some run cool and some run hot. I had a E7500 that ran hot and caused multiple problems with my server. I took it out. A 95 watt CPU will generate a lot more heat.

Sweet thanks. So I'll look into getting a Q9550S at some point. Is there an easy easy way to install a fan just to be safe? If so would that help with the Q9650?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I designed a server CPU cooler with a fan but it only worked slightly better than the stock no fan cooler. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9140

I believe the fans in the HP unit run too slow but the only way to modify them is to play with the BIOS. I put a fan in front of the case blowing room air into the front and the CPU temp droped 10 to 20 degrees C. I purchased a small 25 mm fan to install into the front grid but I have not done it yet. There is a fan power port on the front of the HP motherboard.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Eidos wrote:
I designed a server CPU cooler with a fan but it only worked slightly better than the stock no fan cooler. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9140

I believe the fans in the HP unit run too slow but the only way to modify them is to play with the BIOS. I put a fan in front of the case blowing room air into the front and the CPU temp droped 10 to 20 degrees C. I purchased a small 25 mm fan to install into the front grid but I have not done it yet. There is a fan power port on the front of the HP motherboard.

Nice, I've never really done hardware modding or even put together a PC.. I've dealt really mostly just dealt with software so this is scary to me, for me to do at least. Someone like me would need like a step by step to even feel like I could attempt to do something like this. I'm sure this is a lot easier than dealing with say an HP HDX Dragon notebooks internals, but still.. it's totally something I have no experience or much of any knowledge in. Thanks for posting this though, looks like it would work. Apparently has.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 pm 

Fellas, I'm afraid I need your help!

I've got an EX490 and I want to upgrade the CPU as much as possible but I'm worried about the heat.

My EX490 has the stock 1TB system disk and 3 2TB disks in it. It sits underneath a table in my livingroom where it's normally pretty warm and ventilation is not great. The idle temp of the Celeron CPU is around 50C which I understand from this thread is pretty high. Now, I'd like to throw an E8500 in it but I'm worried that I won't be able to keep it cool.

What do you think? Should I go for the E8500 and hope for the best, or should I take it down to an E7500, an E6500 or even an E5500? My biggest concern is really that from all the posts here it doesn't seem that there's a big difference in the heat between the CPU versions. If anything, it seems a bit random.

Please help me MSS.net - you're my only hope!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

to be safe and make it last longer i would say the E6600 or E6700. if your a risk taker the E7500 is pushing it but if its used at no more than 20-50% this would be fine. its really when you get 100% CPU function that the heat shoots up. like decoding movies or compress files. could you not move it to a cooler area. Most here would tell you for a server the E6000 series CPU is good for everything and not really a need for anything faster.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mksE55 for this post
JohanDK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just want to say thank you to everyone, on this thread, for all the help upgrading my EX490's cpu. It was a breeze!

WD TV Live Plus

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" ~John Wooden

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next