It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

475 I think, one of the earlier ones.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am 
Founder
Founder

Those models do not have the Sleep capability, it was introduced in the EX48x and EX49x models.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

thanks

was there a third party app that enables that?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:13 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Well it seems that the sleep cycle feature on my EX495 is indeed broken. Not sure how or why, but here are my observations. First let me point out that every indication in the console points to the server being in Power Savings Mode and the sleep/wake times are clearly in place. Cient back-ups are schedule to occur on or AFTER the sleep time. My initial setup was to put the server to sleep at 11:00 p.m. and wake it up at 5:30 a.m. for a back-up cycle that started at 6:00 a.m. The first time I set up any sleep cycle, all seems to be well. The MSS goes to to sleep and wakes up just fine. However, after it's first wake cycle, it forgets to put a PowerController command in place for a sleep cycle to occur the next day and the sleep cycle never reoccurs. Changing to a different time (sleep at 12:00 a.m., wake at 6:00 a.m) nets out with the same issue. I've taken a screen shot of the registry entries (see attached) so folks can compare and see if there is anything obvious missing.

I plan to call HP tomorrow to see what they say.

Attachments:
MSS Registry.JPG
MSS Registry.JPG [ 64.56 KiB | Viewed 12726 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:43 pm 

TechVet,

Please post any reply HP has. I have the exact same problem. Hard reboot and the sleep mode works as expected once. After that, it never wants to sleep again. Very annoying, since this feature was one of the reasons I upgraded. Never had good results with LightsOut.

Dan <><

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:19 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Boss Hog, Will do.

Everyone else who uses the built-in sleep.... I know this sounds silly, but have you folks confirmed that the Sleep Feature is indeed working past the first occurrence?? With two of us seeing this problem, I'm suspicious that this may be more than a singular issue. The only way to check is to look in the Application Event Log. When the MSS shuts down for a sleep cycle, you should see a PowerController Entry that corresponds to the shutdown time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm 

TechVet wrote:
Boss Hog, Will do.

Everyone else who uses the built-in sleep.... I know this sounds silly, but have you folks confirmed that the Sleep Feature is indeed working past the first occurrence?? With two of us seeing this problem, I'm suspicious that this may be more than a singular issue. The only way to check is to look in the Application Event Log. When the MSS shuts down for a sleep cycle, you should see a PowerController Entry that corresponds to the shutdown time.

Any update on this? I have the exact same issue with my 490. Set sleep, it works exactly once then never again until I touch the sleep settings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:27 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Okay... I just got off the phone with HP regarding this issue. It seems they might be aware that the Sleep function has a bug. At least the impression I got. He is what I covered with the tech I spoke with:

As has been reported, the initial set-up of a sleep time seems to work. It puts two or three entries in the Application Event Log that are PowerController entries. One sets the Daily Wake Time (i.e. Daily wake occurs daily at xx:xx:00 AM/PM) You may also see another related to Backup Wake Time. Backup wake occurs daily at xx:xx:00 AM/PM. This is typically 2 minutes BEFORE whatever it is you entered as the front end of the backup window time in the Console (ex. If you entered 6:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. for backups in the console, the event in the log would be 5:58 a.m.) The last PowerController entry sets the Sleep Date/Time. Note I said date/time - unlike the wakeup and backup times, this one is in specific date/time format.

Now when the Sleep Time arrives you'll see another PowerController entry indicating the MSS is going to sleep. And either at the wake time or if necessary 2 minutes before the scheduled backup time, the MSS will wake up and the first entry in the Application Log will be a MediaSmartService entry stating "PowerEvent handle successfully by the service."

After studying the log entries I wonder if the bug is tied to the Date/Time format of Sleep entry versus the 'daily' Time format of the wake times. In other words, the server gets a sleep time tied to a specific date. When seen by the software, it is a one time event, not a daily event.

A few of us have noticed this behavior, so why haven't others. A couple of reasons come to mind: 1) not everyone uses the Sleep functionality and 2) those that have are scheduling the MSS to 'sleep' at times when a) they are sleeping or b) when no one is present to see the behavior. And unless you dig around in the log or are hit with a bout of insomnia, you aren't likely to find that the MSS is not going to sleep.

HP has asked for my logs and I'm sending them in so that the development team can look them over. The tech I spoke with said that if indeed this is a bug, then the fix will likely involve a software patch. Stay tuned.

Last edited by TechVet on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

tivoboy wrote:
thanks

was there a third party app that enables that?

Lights out. http://www.whsplus.com/2009/06/26/lightsout/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:55 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm experiencing the exact same behaviour on my EX490. Sleep seems to function as expected after the first reboot but that's the only time it works (until the next reboot, that is.) Obviously, hitting the "sleep now" button manually works every time, but that's not the functionality we are looking for, is it? :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

TechVet wrote:
Well it seems that the sleep cycle feature on my EX495 is indeed broken. Not sure how or why, but here are my observations. First let me point out that every indication in the console points to the server being in Power Savings Mode and the sleep/wake times are clearly in place. Cient back-ups are schedule to occur on or AFTER the sleep time. My initial setup was to put the server to sleep at 11:00 p.m. and wake it up at 5:30 a.m. for a back-up cycle that started at 6:00 a.m. The first time I set up any sleep cycle, all seems to be well. The MSS goes to to sleep and wakes up just fine. However, after it's first wake cycle, it forgets to put a PowerController command in place for a sleep cycle to occur the next day and the sleep cycle never reoccurs. Changing to a different time (sleep at 12:00 a.m., wake at 6:00 a.m) nets out with the same issue. I've taken a screen shot of the registry entries (see attached) so folks can compare and see if there is anything obvious missing.

I plan to call HP tomorrow to see what they say.

Your screen shot at first might appear to be bad, as the DailySleep time is listed as 0 but in this case zero does not mean it is missing, only that it is set to 12:00 am. My unit was also failing to sleep after the first sleep cycle and then if I manually attempted to put it to sleep it would do nothing. So I did a factory reset yesterday. Right after doing the reset I can click on the sleep now button and it sleeps. Before the reset I could click and nothing would happen after an initial sleep. :(

I am attempting to find out just what software is creating this issue. (Also what is preventing me from editing the Group Policies remotely) So far I have ruled out WHS PHP Installer, MySql Installer for WHS, and Wordpress Installer for WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

As a thought being shot out in the dark here...

I take it that you have a DHCP router in your household correct? That device is assigning IP addresses to the rest of our house....

Based on the router, what I could see occuring here is that when the MSS goes into sleep mode that some how releasing it's known IP address which the clients are used to finding when they booted? If so that could be part of the problem and that it's having difficulties with the window period for sleep.

It could be related to the release window or other devices starting and stopping on the network during that time.

Again a shot out in the dark, but a partially logical thought to help your problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:14 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

iNexxFear wrote:
As a thought being shot out in the dark here...

I take it that you have a DHCP router in your household correct? That device is assigning IP addresses to the rest of our house....

Based on the router, what I could see occuring here is that when the MSS goes into sleep mode that some how releasing it's known IP address which the clients are used to finding when they booted? If so that could be part of the problem and that it's having difficulties with the window period for sleep.

It could be related to the release window or other devices starting and stopping on the network during that time.

Again a shot out in the dark, but a partially logical thought to help your problem.

My original problem had me thinking the same thing, but since then I updated the router frimware and the NIC driver in the MSS and that problem seems to have gone away. Now the issue is tha that the MSS only goes to sleep once after setting the parameters in the console or after a reboot.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have the same problem as does a friend of mine who also has a brand new EX495. It will go to sleep as scheduled once and then it will never go to sleep again. If I click the sleep button it will go to sleep and will wake up as scheduled. Is there any more insight on what causes this?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:29 pm 

I have the exact same issue of my EX490 not remembering to go to sleep. It must be very sleepy now :lol: .

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next