It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

nippyjun wrote:
nippyjun wrote:
my ex495 does the same thing. Fist cycle sleeps, then not after that? Hopefully hp will put out an update for this soon. It' s wasting energy!

Does anyone with a ex490 or ex495 that uses the sleep function have it working properly where it consistently sleeps every time it's supposed to. Or does it just do it one time and that's it?

nippyjun wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post that their 490/5 sleeps consistently. If someone here does have a unit that sleeps every night can you post and let us know.

Mine has been working fine. I have it set to wake up at 7:45Am and go to sleep at 9:30 AM. Then I wake it up myself in the evening from the console and shut it down before I got to bed through the console.

But I was wondering if there is an add in that will allow me to schedule multiple sleep and wake times each day. If I had that capability I wouldn't need to manally wake my box up in the evening and have to shut it down each night.

I really like these MediaSonic enclosures since they will go to sleep and also wake up with the MSS. So they aren't always on like the Rosewill and Sans digital boxes are.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I guess the newest version of Lights Out(v1.0) will fit my needs. although the licensed version seems a little pricey.
I'll need to try it out this weekend.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:14 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've gone into the event logs and discovered an error message at the same time as the programmed wake time (9:00AM). It says something about the DHCP IP address having lost the lease time or expired or something like that.

I don't suppose this would have anything to do with the sleep problem :|

I too have also noticed that if you reset the time and reapply, the server goes through one successful sleep cycle again.

The problem with this sort of problem is that you have to wait an entire 24 hours between tests. And as most of us actually have a life to live rather than test this type of silly bug for HP......

And while they're at fixing this thing, why don't they let us have as many sleep times as we like. I could do with at least a couple of auto sleep times for each day of the week. Surely not too much to ask. Don't really want to install 3rd party software for such a simple task!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:17 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

crispyduck wrote:
I've gone into the event logs and discovered an error message at the same time as the programmed wake time (9:00AM). It says something about the DHCP IP address having lost the lease time or expired or something like that.

I don't suppose this would have anything to do with the sleep problem :|

I too have also noticed that if you reset the time and reapply, the server goes through one successful sleep cycle again.

The problem with this sort of problem is that you have to wait an entire 24 hours between tests. And as most of us actually have a life to live rather than test this type of silly bug for HP......

And while they're at fixing this thing, why don't they let us have as many sleep times as we like. I could do with at least a couple of auto sleep times for each day of the week. Surely not too much to ask. Don't really want to install 3rd party software for such a simple task!

I installed the Lights Out add in last night. That seems to work very weel. I'm able to set up multiple sleep and wake times for each day which is what I wanted to do.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I kind of have a problem with the sleep mode. In order for me to see my iTunes server after it wakers up i have to reboot the server, so what i ma doing is not putting the server to sleep. I wonder if the lights out add-in i will work? I will try when i get home tonight.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Try restarting the Bonjour service using remote desktop. Just say yes to restarting the firefly dependancy too. This instantly brings back the itunes service instaed of rebooting the server.

Not sure why the Bonjour service is failing. Gettin on my nerves!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ok i will try it see if it work

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:23 am 

Just to bump this up, I want to add myself to the list of folks that are having sleep problems. That is, it worked the first day (sleep at 1am, awake at 9am) but then when I woke up this morning at 7am, the server was awake. I have a month-old ex490 with no hardware modifications. The only add-ins I have installed are WHS Disk Management and GridJunction. I also have installed pyTivo on the server via remote desktop. Could there be any commonalities with respect to what's installed?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:27 am 

...I should also mention that I don't have any machines set for auto backup and I had previously installed (but currently have uninstalled) Lights Out (v 0.8.2) and TiVo Publisher (v 1.3).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

stonev wrote:
Just to bump this up, I want to add myself to the list of folks that are having sleep problems. That is, it worked the first day (sleep at 1am, awake at 9am) but then when I woke up this morning at 7am, the server was awake. I have a month-old ex490 with no hardware modifications. The only add-ins I have installed are WHS Disk Management and GridJunction. I also have installed pyTivo on the server via remote desktop. Could there be any commonalities with respect to what's installed?

I've just been using lights out and it works good so far to put my server to sleep at night and wake it in the am.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:37 pm 

I have an EX485 and I too have the sleep problem. If I reboot, it works once. I can manually set it asleep and it wakes at the set time. I was wondering if there was anyone that figured this out yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Might as well bump this as I'm having the same issue.

On a side note, does anyone have a way to sleep the WHS (EX490 in my case) without having to launch the console? Maybe a command that can be sent over the network?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'd like to add that I too have an EX495 with the sleep problem. I had assumed that it was working as advertised -- I had it set to shut off at midnight and wake up at 8:00 a.m. I recently changed my working hours due to a special project at work, and at the present time am getting home around 4:00 a.m. Each morning, I'm greeted by the soft glow of the front panel lights on my machine as it sits there, churning away all night long. FWIW, my issue is not an IP issue -- I have an IP reserved by MAC address for the MSS, and also specify a particular range that my router can use for DHCP, and am careful not to assign any IPs within that range. The 3.0 software has been out long enough that I'm surprised HP isn't doing/saying anything about this. Sleep mode is an advertised feature, and if it can't be provided, then HP has a potentially large issue on it's hands. Look at the uproar over the simple antenna issue on the iPhones that plagued Apple.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just started toying around with this feature on my EX495 and noticed it working spratically. What I did notice was that if I manually put the server to sleep, it would not follow sleep times again in the future until I rebooted. then it would function like normal after that.

is there a fix or solution for this? what is the quality of lights out as good or better then built in function? I dont want to do harm to my HDD's by using some gimmicky program. I know absolutely nothing about lights out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life.

I have recently bought a HP Data Vault X510 and I can confirm that I also have the same problem with the sleep schedule.

So I did my own investigation with the sleep function and to see if I can get it working again. I initially tried to use Task Scheduler to schedule server to sleep using the following command: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 by following the instructions from here. This command did put the server to sleep but the scheduled task that "waked" the server did not work. However, I was able to wake the server from LAN using WOL.

So I did more investigating in the Events log and noticed that every time the "HPMediaSmartService" service is restarted (either by rebooting the server or restarting the service in Windows) it will get "PowerController" to reschedule the sleep time/date, and also recreates the schedule task to wake the server during "daily wake" and "daily backup" time. Therefore what I have done is to Scheduled Task to run a .bat file to restart the "HPMediaSmartService" service before the next sleep time occurs

Quote:
@echo OFF
net stop HPMediaSmartService
net start HPMediaSmartService
exit

So my only question is will there be any problems with the server in the long run if I have "HPMediaSmartService" service restarted in this way.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next