It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:06 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hello everyone,

My HP EX490 MSS with 4GB of memory and C2Q Q9550 is still chugging along *knock on wood* but the media serving capabilities seem to be lacking these days.

Plex is fairly outdated on the HP MSS. The new Plex client cannot detect the MSS. Twonky never was my favorite to use.

Has anybody tried to install Kodi/XBMC on the HP MSS?

Any other options these days? Yes, I'm still running WHSv1 :crazy: :crazy:

Lasty, anybody with a Q9550s? If so, what does your CPU-Z detect? I supposedly purchased a Q9550s but CPU-Z only shows Q9550 :(

CoreTemp shows my current temps as:
C0 - 52c
C1 - 43c
C2 - 43c
C3 - 50c

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Kodi is my choice today but I install it on devices at each tv with a rasberryPI directly without turning on the streaming or dlna feature.

Never tried on the ex but it should work if installed and managed via remote desktop.

You want the windows32bit version.

As far as the cpu. I have the q9450s but it shows q9450.
If it is not the the S flavor I am sure it would have shut down on you due to overheating unless you have some super cooling options going on.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Q8200s CPU idle at 39c - 40c, peak temps 54c using prime 95 after 20 minutes.

This using two 7200 RPM WD Gold (one in slot 0, the other in slot 2, remaining drive sleds set with flaps up.. Rear fans running at full, rear back plate off and two 30mm fans wedged in front of the heatsink.

Planning to play around with this with a few other CPU's (including the q9550s) before too long.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

lioninstreet wrote:
Q8200s CPU idle at 39c - 40c, peak temps 54c using prime 95 after 20 minutes.

This using two 7200 RPM WD Gold (one in slot 0, the other in slot 2, remaining drive sleds set with flaps up.. Rear fans running at full, rear back plate off and two 30mm fans wedged in front of the heatsink.

Planning to play around with this with a few other CPU's (including the q9550s) before too long.

Out of content for this post but the 7200rpm drives do run hotter than say a wd red.
5400 rpm
I have tried the wd black and it gets very hot.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:22 pm 

I'm kinda with you guys on this..I bought a EX495 for $100, and popped in a Q9550s in it..and to my dismay find WHS extremely outdated
and limited..I have a 6TB Ironpro Wolf drive that I wanted to use, and get another but it doesn't play well with drive storage over 2TB...is there
a 64 bit WHS OS that sees the full drive space or what do you guys do anymore with these servers? I'm thinking of just selling it as I didn't see
this limitation coming

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

briansliman wrote:
I'm kinda with you guys on this..I bought a EX495 for $100, and popped in a Q9550s in it..and to my dismay find WHS extremely outdated
and limited..I have a 6TB Ironpro Wolf drive that I wanted to use, and get another but it doesn't play well with drive storage over 2TB...is there
a 64 bit WHS OS that sees the full drive space or what do you guys do anymore with these servers? I'm thinking of just selling it as I didn't see
this limitation coming

It sounds like the limitation you are describing is just the 32bit WHSv1 OS limitation. You've got a couple of simple ways to resolve.

Considering your CPU is a warmer running q9550s, if you want to stick with WHSv1 (which most of us prefer), sell off the 6tb iron wolf and use that money to buy 4 of something like the cold running 2tb wd reds. If 8tb is enough space for you, this solution will likely cost you nearly nada. When you outgrow 8tb, just get a external eSATA storage device, plug it in and keep adding 2tb drives to it...

Second would be to pickup a copy of WHS11 (64bit) for $40-$50, grab a 2tb drive to install it on (if I remember correctly WHS11 formats using MBR), Make sure you fully update it. Then initialize the larger 6tb Iron Wolf drive on another system with GPT. You can then just add it to the drive pool, adding in a second or third 6tb (or larger) drive as needed. The other option with this solution would be to install the OS on your 6tb drive and then use something like Parturition Magic or AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert from MBR to GPT so the OS will see the remaining space. Note that this solution will not work with WHSv1.

Hope that helps you get up and running. Good luck!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks