It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm 

I'm a little late to the party.

I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Hp Ex495. Install went very smoothly.
I downloaded the image and used rufus to make a bootable USB drive.
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1 Is the instructions I followed to create the bootable USB drive.

I then put that into the bottom usb slot on the back of the server and installed a hard drive into slot 2 powered the server up and followed the install instructions. (I built a VGA cable so I wasn't working blind)
Ubuntu 18.04 found the network card and hard drive controller with out any changes.
I didn't need to boot into the BIOS and make changes like I had see in other forum post.

The 18.04 version uses the same kernel for the desktop and server versions.

I had a few questions.
1. Is there a way to run Ubuntu from a jump/thumb drive allowing all hard drive slots to be used for data storage? I had saw that it was a trade off between the bottom usb and the bottom hard drive. But I saw some one mention that running FreeBSD they were able to leverage all data drives.
2. If this is possible do you just install Ubuntu from the bootable USB device to another usb stick using a 2nd computer and then insert it into the server?

Last edited by Media-Tomb on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Media-Tomb wrote:
I'm a little late to the party.

These little servers have been rock solid for me over the last 10 years, save for the PSU in my first 47x. But I guess PSU failure isn't unique to just the MSS... So better late to the party than never.

I'm answering with somewhat of a guess as I use that lower USB port for another purpose.

Other users have successfully setup to boot with a thumb drive using the Synology OS DSM with the help of the Xpenology USB bootloader. Meaning, you should be good to go.

I just checked BIOS and on a ex49x, the boot order will default to the USB port having primary boot priority if BIOS senses you have a thumb drive plugged into the port. When nothing is there, selecting to boot from USB isn't even shown as an option in BIOS Device Priority.

Interestingly enough, the same behavior happens in BIOS when a thumb drive is plugged into the center rear USB slot. So there's no telling if you could actually boot from that center port as well...

Myself, I'm running WHS v1 on a ex49x and I've been keeping that lower USB clear in order to use it to bypass the "updated" ex49x PXE boot and paperclip dance required by HP to get into reset mode.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks