It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an EX490 which has been running mostly untouched since new. I have replaced the 0 drive which was a pain. I have 4x2Tb drives in the bays. I was having longevity issues with WDgreens but since changing to reds it seems to be going ok.
Recently the ex490 started to randomly drop connection every day or so. Did all the usual checks. SMART was not reporting any hot disks or disk issues. But it physically seems hotter than usual. I strapped a couple of usb fans to the back and it seems to have stabilised but the air coming from the lower (I assume PSU) area is still quite hot. I have never had it open so perhaps it is a dust issue.
As you would expect it is starting to chunk along a bit. I still like the format and the NAS's I have looked at don't seem to be as neat or have the same features.
There is plenty of history on the forum about upgrades but what is the latest? CPU's, and ram mainly, that is still available, somewhere? The 2Tb limit for WHS 2011 hasn't become a problem for me yet. I am still only 60% full. So maybe don't need to upgrade the OS?
Amazing there is so many out there still using them. Says something about good ideas and quality. Strange that HP dropped it like a hot potato.
edit-sorry, should have said, apart from Microsoft dropping WHS (good reason). I'm also a Mediacentre fan and still have that running. There is still nothing out there to replace that either. I am now very cautious of any new MS product, including OS's. If they don't get majority uptake they drop it, and don't support it soon after. Sucks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well smart will not report a bad fan for the cpu.
You have three fans 2 larger fans behind the drives that exhaust out the back and a small one on the motherboard area.
You already stated you have never cleaned them.
I would power down the unit.
Unplug all drives then boot it up and verify that all three fans are running.
It could be the motherboard fan which is a little work to get to to clean and verify.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:47 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would concur, a good annual cleaning with canned air and a cloth to wipe it down is always a good thing.
I have to ask, do you have smokers in the same area with the server, if you do I can guaranty that the fans and back screen will need some serious cleaning.
Back when I smoked and when I work on smokers pc's I have to use a toothbrush to clean the fans/screens/etc to get the dirt/dust off.

If non smoker, great, but a good blast with a can of air, even better if you can open it up (but be careful) when you unseat the backplane.
I would watch a youtube on how to Upgrade a 490, it will be helpful if your handy.
I have been building my own pc's for years so was easy for me.

As far as upgrading, I tried and still have a couple of copies of whs 2011, but didn't like the way it's console looked/worked but is still an option. I as you am still in my (4) 2tb drives so not worried about space.

I did build a DIY win 2012E server for down the road, but will put it off as long as I can still get WHS v1 to run.

I don't care for the Nas as you can't pull out a drive from the pool and read the info (if all else fails)

Hope this helps, good luck to you and yours.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks