It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

First off, Yah! :chicken: You got it. That has to be the most stubborn one I have heard of.
Anyway, now that your server is loaded, if it was the os drive you were going to keep, it would be time to get it on the lan and let it go out and update. Microsoft updates and more impotently the HP updates.
But when you get your new drive and get it loaded, then get it on the network and go out and keep getting the updates till there are not anymore.
At some point, when you have a reboot during the updates the server will come back and say the connector has a version mismatch.
That is when you un-install the connector and pull it from the web address which should get you the newer 64 bit version of the software on your client if that is what it needs.
Sometimes I have had this happen twice.

http://servername:55000

Sounds like you are getting a newer drive and will be doing the reset again, then you will need to do all the updates. That is the next thing I do, go in repeatedly and get all the updates before starting to add clients and backing up. Then you can start adding clients using the web address above.

Then for sure go get the Free Add-in SMART, it will alert you long before the server would when a drive is starting to go bad in the future.
Good Luck and enjoy you earned it :-)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hey Gardian,

Hoping it's downhill from here too. As you alluded to, there will come a time when even these new enterprise hard drives degrade and I would rather deal with learning the recovery process now instead of after this forum is closed...

So what you are suggesting is to setup the final OS drive, use the factory 49x software installation disk to setup the WHS connector on the first x64 terminal, and run the OS and HP updates from the HP terminal interface. Then when the system flags me about the connector version, remove the HP software from the client, then remote into the server for the updated connector. Yes?

From there I am also a bit unclear about your guidance:

Gardian wrote:
At some point, when you have a reboot during the updates the server will come back and say the connector has a version mismatch.
That is when you un-install the connector and pull it from the web address which should get you the newer 64 bit version of the software on your client if that is what it needs.
Sometimes I have had this happen twice.

http://servername:55000

Where should I look on the server to find the 64 bit connector when I remote into it using the URL? And your suggesting once I've located it to put it on a thumb drive and then drop it onto the first client and reload it?

By the way, I'm super grateful for everyone who has helped me get this far and hope the detail will help others with similar issue.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:02 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I did ramble a bit on that last one: sorry.
Lets call the server the server and the clients the clients so we are on the same page.

When you get your final OS drive loaded and it has rebooted (I think Twice) and comes back with the "pulsing" light that is when you switch to the software disc and install the connector on the client.

When the server reboots, that is when I connect the server to the network so it will have internet access when it comes up.
Then fire up the connector/console on the client and go to settings and you will find the updates tab, it has windows updates and HP updates so keep running those "in the connector" till the server has gotten all of them.

You really don't need to remote into the server except to do a diskcleanup and defrag on Just the C drive. Almost everything should be done with the console.

But, yes, after one or two of the HP updates you will come up with a software mismatch and that is when you uninstall the connector from the client and then fire up internet explorer and type in the web address for your server in the last post and hit enter. That will go to the server and pull which software you need for the client.

If for some reason it doesn't, the software for the client 32 bit and 64 bit is in the software folder on the server.
But, pulling it with the web address should work.

Then you should be good to go, add users and more clients, start the backups.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

As much grief this has been, I think I'll give it a shot with the currently loaded OS. I can always clear the connector off of the client when starting fresh again.

As far as working inside the server environment, What are your thoughts on installing a decent antivirus, speedfan, and other typical server utilities?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I do not run anti-virus on the server because I run it on the clients.
I do run serviio which is my media streamer and I have to do that with a remote desktop connection.
I also run CCleaner , diskclean, defrag and clear the event viewer regularly on the c drive to get rid of the junk files so the os drive does not fill up.

I have installed speedfan and other types of programs on the desktop of the server. Some worked fine, some didn't but anytime you start playing with the desktop of the server your taking a chance of messing something up.
I keep a sync'ed backup of all my data on another server, so I don't worry about it, I can wipe it , reload and copy back in about 8 hours.

Good Luck and enjoy.

P.S. Installing the Free Smart addin is a must have to keep an eye on those drives in the future.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Understood, on we go...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great, glad you were able to master the elusive recovery/reset :-)
Great servers, great OS, to bad microsoft bailed on us.
But I will run it till it won't go no more. \:D/

Backups are the key, you can do anything, as long as you have a good backup.
I have 2 good backups, just to be sure. But I also have 30 years worth of data that I can't lose. :-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Actually found a few forum articles on server backups and will post comments on them moving forward.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks