It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:43 pm 

Recently I ordered and received my debug board from Charles. Very nice work btw. Upon booting up I went right away into the bios to view all the settings and to see if I could find a way to set the fan speeds. I love the original add-in for v1 so much with my EX470. I would like the same level of control on my EX495 from HP and would like to know what to set in the bios to increase the ramp or whatever it will take to keep the fans spinning faster and therefore keep my hdd cooler.

Looking at these pictures left me more confused honestly. I am use to a setting in my desktop pc called pwm but in that I set a temperate and a percentage of each fan. But with this I am totally lost. The only part I understood was the hp tab where the start up fan setting is establish.
Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It has been a very long time since I did mine but I recall the changes did not save when you reboot, it just goes back to the default settings.
So there is another setting you need to change first.
You need to turn off the override fan speed first(I think that is it.)
Then it should give you more options to pick from in the fan setting.
The initial duty cycle should be left alone. This just gives it a starting point till the pid program kicks in.

Then just play with the settings. I think it is the temp 3 range which you have 20c(68f) now so that is when the fans run at 100%
it is a scale of how many degrees to go from the initial 50% to 100 %
If you lower it to much say 50F then the fans will ramp to 100% at 50f.
Which becomes very loud
I played with mine till I was running about 200rpm faster.
It is cooler now but still a little warm but I did not want to much noise either.

If you are still stuck I can connect back to my server and verify.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 am 

Thanks for your response. Here is what I have fiddled with and have so far.

Under (PWM 1 MODE SETTING) = (AUTO - PECI) I have changed the value to manual mode. There was one for full speed fan as well which is about 3000rpm

When I did that an new menu option came up call pwm just below the (MIN PWM 1 DUTY CYCLE) I can't remember it's default but it was low from what I recall. I moved it to 255 the max and it did in fact max out the fan as well. After that I dialed it back to 150 and the fans slowed to about 2000rpm which for me and where the server is was fine. Noisier than default but nothing I can't live with. I did the same exact thing for PWM 2 because I assumed one was top fan and the other was a bottom fan.

I noticed that the fan changes do not take affect until you get past the bio and start the os booting phase. SO any change I made in the bios was not applicable till that windows loading screen we used to see when booting up vista or windows 7. I wish the changes were quicker and made in the bios immediately. Having to boot to the os each time kinda sucks when trying to make small changes and test them. Time sink lol.

My other regret is there is no way to monitor the fan speed in the os. I tried using hwmonitor and when that didn't work I tried speedfan. It also was not able to detect fan speed. At least none of those worked on default settings. So at this point I am not sure what would monitor the rpm and that would be helpful if anyone knows a program that will.

I can monitor drive temps and cpu temps though which is really what I was after.

Take care.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I used the console to see the rpm and temps.
But I still had to reboot to make changes.

Just to recap it uses a pid algorithm.
Proportional-Integral- Derivative
Using a rise and slope. For Proportional and integral.
The 50% speed is considered a bias.(starting point)

Also
PWM stands for pulse width modulation.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks