It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Server 2016 Essentials
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 pm 

Here we are again. EOL on WHS2011 and soon to be 2012R2. Has anyone tried to install Server 2016 on their HP home server? Is there an LGA 775 processor that supports server 2016 or is non ECC memory the nail in the coffin?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I did a bit of googling and found a MVP that says the install will "not force" ECC but it would be a un-supported system.
A supported system must have ECC.
This same MVP said that 2012 should have said the same thing. I have 2012E and I know it will work with non-ECC memory.

If they have an eval version, I would do a quick test before laying out the cash...

If you find out, please let us know, I won't be using it, but some may....

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I upgraded my EX487 to WSE 2016.
I loved it so much that after a month using the trial version I bought the full license.
I also upgraded the CPU to an Intel E5200 that I bought for something like $5.00. I thought the Celeron 440 would be too weak to handle WSE 2016.

You can read my journey and links to the changes I made to my system here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14403

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Glad to hear it is working for you, thanks for sharing your work, it may help others.

I have only read some about it, what I got was it seems like it has 3 different options for the installation:
1) nano which is bare bones and no GUI so you would really need to know what you are doing.
2) Full install but no desktop which would leave most of the Normal home server people out.
3) Full install with desktop which is kind of like windows 10.
Other then these things and some improvements for Hyper-v I don't know much about it, except I have already paid for Win2012E and don't feel the need to spend anymore.

I don't believe many will shell out the cash for it, but I could be wrong.
The original intent with WHS v1 was to make sever management/storage/networking easy for the novice home user and I think it did a pretty good job of that. It had a couple of bugs along the way but for the most part as long as you had the Smart addin and kept a backup of your priceless data outside the server it did an awesome job (in my case, still is) but I believe Microsoft got greedy and started down the "windows as a cloud service" and are slowing herding us that way.

I for one will not be herded, I will continue to use WHS v1 and Windows 7 for as long as I can (I'm 57 so how many more years do I have, Right) and I am looking at replacing most of my clients/family with Mac and/or Chrome books and let Microsoft go hang.
And I am sure they could care less.
But enough rant.
Thank you again for your info and if you find out any other cool things it does please let us know. Some will be interested I'm sure as many of the home server people are real server people. :-)

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks