It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:55 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a W2012E license to upgrade my EX49* server. W2012E is the better choice for me as this is an OS I work with and I think I will benefit from using it over WHS 2011.

My 49* has a Intel E6320 installed with 4GB of Muskin ram with a debug board, however I am wandering if a CPU upgrade is best for W2012E? I have a Q9550 spare but reading into this is can run hot, but my media centre has a E8500 which maybe more suitable. Is it advised to upgrade the CPU for W2012E?

I have a few other questions regarding the move over;
Data transfer- Is it best backing up the folders from the WHS option to a non pool drive or copy the data to a spare in another PC or if I have the ability use a NAS/Spare WHS server?
PC backups- Are these transferable at all? Its not the end of the world if not as I deleted these a few weeks ago due to the increasing System data usage by BDBB add in.

Many thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:13 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I believe your hardware will run win2012E. As far as the backups, they will be gone. and to move the data, I would back it up to other drives or server and the copy back.
I have installed win2012E on that hardware and it was fine. Depend on what you load it up with..
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I saw your post thanks for the confirmation, I may try it with the current HW set up and look at CPU upgrade later on if it runs slow.
I'm wanting to use 2012 Essentials over WHS 2011 as this is more relevant to my work (IT service desk).
I was tempted to run Virtual servers but thinking this maybe over kill as I don't plan on using anything other than Essentials. Tempting to have it set up in case though.
I have been reading a little into the Windows Home edition backups and the domain side of things, supposedly they backup all OK? Im not bothered about them joining a domain...

Thanks