It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an ex490 upgraded to a E6300 2.8 dual core processor currently running WHSv1 with 2gb of RAM. It's only backing up one computer (Windows 7) but also functions as my media server, with Plex running as a service on it. The only drive in there is the 1tb system drive (I know.. not smart).

As I want to upgrade my main computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I guess it's time to upgrade from v1. Also, although Plex currently runs fine on v1, I've had to run it in classic mode, which does not have as much security as current versions of Plex server.

So, as a relative newbie, I'm wondering what my choices are. I assume I can upgrade to newer versions of WHS (which one?) but also see posts about people putting Windows 8 or even Windows 10 on there. Would my unit run either of those and what would be the advantages of putting one of those on there rather than a newer version of WHS?

Ultimately, I guess I'm looking for the most simple and least painless upgrade path that will allow me to back up my Windows 10 files (manually is fine) and also run my Plex media server. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It's my understanding that WHS v1 will backup a win 10 client without doing anything.
I plan on running whs v1 as long as I can. I am not going to upgrade to win 10 on any of my 10 clients so that will help.
As far a Plex, I have not used it, I use serviio so can't offer anything on that.

But you know that a 2 tb drive is pretty cheap these days to add to your pool and turn on Duplication on your shares.
I mostly use the 2 tb Red WD drives, they are plug in and go as far as I have known.

The hardware will support other OS'es but getting the video cable will help and finding drivers might not be fun.
We know the WHS 2011 and win2012E and win 2012E R2 will work, I believe I have heard of people putting win 10 on, but then what do you backup with?

Whs V1 is hard to beat unless it is not doing something you need it to do.

Hope this helps, Good luck...

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yes whsv1 will backup a win 10 desktop,but there are issues on restore.
Due to the extra hidden partitions, If using the pc restore cd.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The problem with backing up a PC or laptop running Windows 10 to WHSv1 is if the PC/laptop hardware uses UEFI. Then the server won't be able to restore that boot partition. But if you just upgraded your OS to 8.1 or 10, then your OK.

Else you would need WHS2011 with the UEFI hotfix.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Diehard wrote:
The problem with backing up a PC or laptop running Windows 10 to WHSv1 is if the PC/laptop hardware uses UEFI. Then the server won't be able to restore that boot partition. But if you just upgraded your OS to 8.1 or 10, then your OK.

That is not 100% correct it will backup the hidden partitions. Restore is the pain because you need to use the advanced option to redirect the partitions so they don't create a logical drive. And you can't really use the pc restore cd unless you figure out how to boot from it and use a NIC driver that works.
But you it can be done.
I find it easier to just restore the pc from the factory disks and use the server to restore just data.Or just the active os drive partition.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ruben Rocha wrote:
Diehard wrote:

That is not 100% correct it will backup the hidden partitions.

I'm not sure which part is not 100% correct ? As I wrote, restoring the UEFI boot partition is the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you can find the nic drivers to work with the pc restore cd then you can restore the uefi partition using the advanced option.
That is of course you figured out how to turn off safe mode to boot without uefi and can get a usb port to work.
I have several win 10 machines now and the bitch is the nic drivers.
Especially since they are now self extracting based on the os so It is hard to find a standalone driver..
64 bit it is almost non existent.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks