It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

I just bought a X510 which obviously is the same as the EX495.. I tossed in a E8600 processor and a Video Cable Mod on it.. Powered it up and all worked, but forgot to toss on the Jumper to be able to get into the bios. So I pulled it all back apart.. Put the Jumper and reassembled.. And Nothing.. No power..
So I decided to put it back to stock and pulled everything but the video cable and now when I plug in the power cord it immediately turns on the fans in the back and the power light goes Solid Blue.. But nothing else happens.

I've tried pulling the Bios Batter, Same thing... Removed the jumpers and removed the video cable and all the same end result.

Did I brick this somehow? Or anyone else experience the same? I've tried all the troubleshooting I could think of at the moment, so wanted to jump on a thread and crowdsource ideas on how to get this back up and running. Thanks for any input.
Justin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well it could be simply that something is not seated correctly.
Not just the boards but in the back see if there is is mis alignment on the power button usb esata ports.
But the big item is when you remove the backplane. Since it pops off abruptly
You could have knocked off a component on the board. Which is very hard to visually see.
Plus very hard to repair.

Another possibility is the video cable is bad or whatever. Since we don't know where you got the cable.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:59 pm 

Video Cable off ebay - It did work before.. But I have tried powering on without the video cable..Right now the overall scenario is Solid Blue light and all fans going.. Press the button or hold it in and it won't power off.. No matter how long you hold it in. It just powers on immediately when plugging in the power. I've tried the small power button reset but nothing there..

I have removed the motherboard assembly and hooked that up individually to see if anything trying to eliminate the backplane etc.. But same results.. (Also eliminates the mis-alignment issue.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If the power button does not function if held in then either the button is bad or possibly if there is a cable from the switch to the board it is off or broken. I don't remember if the switch has a cable or is soldered to the board.
Only way to really test it is with a ohm meter to check for continuity when depressed.

BTW, the small hole in the front is just for setting the server in recovery mode and diagnostics. it does not power down the unit.
Proper operation of the power button in the rear .

Another question is when it does power up, do the fans run at full speed and never slow down.
By default when the server boots the fans are at full speed then after post the bios controls the fan speeds and they slow down unless it is extremely hot.
touch once =power on
touch once again= normal shutdown
touch and hold= shut down immediately

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:34 am 

Same problem here. Found an EX490 in the market the other day and i tried to do my own cable. Eventually it didn't worked and now i am in the same situation. The only light on is the power led, fans on full blast and no network. Can't power it down without
Unplugging the power cable. Can someone please help me to do a bios reset or something cause it still is a nice piece of hardware.
Thanks,
Gabriel

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Quote:
i tried to do my own cable. Eventually it didn't worked

Do these two have anything to do with each other, like did you or do you have vga and play with the bios or did the cable not work and maybe you fried the board?

Anyway, I would mark the drives so you know where they came out of and pull them all, then power up the server and see what happens.
Let us know and we can maybe work from there.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm 

The cable didn't worked at all and it might fried the board. With the cable connected it would not power on, and whithout the cable it powered on with the fans on full blast. The only light is the power. It is only one 2Tb drive installed in the bottom bay. Just swapped the ram and is the same

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I still stand by the not seated correctly. Or component damaged with removal and reinsertion.
One Item I have noticed after opening the unit is the psu does not seat correctly where the usb shield and the power button are out of alignment with the case. Causing the powerswitch not to work and usb ports to be blocked by the shielding or does not work.
Also the backplane may have been damaged or not seated correctly.
Also your cable mod may not be correct.
Also your fan connectors may be reversed.
They did have factory marks with colored tape. which have probably fallen off by now.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks