It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Gardian wrote:
I have sent a request to Sharkoon to find out where I can buy one.
I have to have this thing.
If/when I get it I will take it apart and get whatever numbers I can find after I confirm it will see all 8 drives via esata on whsv1 pooled, I will also remove a few and then try to add them back to the pool.

The 4tb red drives I tried to use as non-pooled drives with whs v1 worked until the data on them exceeded 2 tb, then they would hang the server and go raw.
This happened on two 4tb reds, now to be fair, the first came up defective with WD tools, but the second one just went raw but was still usable, I got WD to replace it anyway and now I use them in my win2012E box and went back to 2 tb reds for non-pooled drives.

I will shout back when I find where I can buy this thing. I have to know :-)

Hi I can confirm that it’s still all working great, you can remove the drives in the usual way through the WHS and add it again to the pool, I will also let you know I put a 3tb in and formatted it (took some time to format) then added it to the pool and again WHS recognized the drive

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:20 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Does it see 2.78TB or 1.89TB ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Diehard wrote:

Hi it seen 2.78TB, I took it back out the server as it is getting used as part of a backup for the server in another unit

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

serverlad wrote:
Diehard wrote:

Hi it seen 2.78TB, I took it back out the server as it is getting used as part of a backup for the server in another unit

Well then that means that it is not a pool drive but a backup drive.
So a 3tb drive works in the server as well.
Nothing special about this item.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Pics of the Sharkoon 8-Bay RAID-Station beside the WHS

Attachments:
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG [ 5.51 MiB | Viewed 10391 times ]
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG [ 6.97 MiB | Viewed 10391 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:41 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Pics of the backplane and board inside the unit

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 404.64 KiB | Viewed 10388 times ]
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 721.85 KiB | Viewed 10388 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

No I added it as a pool drive to see if it worked and it did, then took it out

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:54 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
You could be right on that but I believe he mentioned he added them to his pool and if that's the case he would be seeing tons of Alerts on his server not to mention the Red Health Light, No Client Backups and would be going nuts. Heck it only takes as you know one drive to go missing and WHSv1 pinches a major fit. So I just sit here scratching my head over it and one part of me questions this and the other part hopes it to be true that it does see all 8 drives but no word back from serverlad to further confirm its working properly or with pics to show the 8 drives in the console. Unless the USB Cable is still attached along with the eSATA then that would be interesting.

Hi, if you look at the manual it states that you can use either USB or eSata but not at the same time, all you do is shut down the unit and change the cables over, I used the USB first because I was a bit wary about the unit and when I added all the drives to the pool with the USB cable I shut down then swapped over to eSata and everything is fine, I have files on all but one drive

Last edited by serverlad on Tue May 13, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:05 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

@ Comp1962

Hi, the boards do have CIF on them, I hope that helps

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:09 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

What's important to know is what was the 3TB free space when it was a pooled drive. Because when you add a drive larger than 2TB through the Console, it will be formatted MBR which means a maximum size of 2TB. The balance will be unusable.

However if you preformat the drive GPT then it will have the full 2.78TB free space. The you add it as a non pooled backup drive without formatting through the Console or else it will be formatted MBR with the 2TB limit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:52 pm 

Thanks for the info and the backplane part number indicates its a CFI Unit as I expected but with a revised backplane both in the part number and BIOS.

Kindly let us know if you experience any drive drop outs where one or more go missing from your pool. I am still amazed your seeing all 8 drives with just the eSATA Connection and not the USB3 Connection. Did you add the drives to your WHSv1 Storage Pool through the console or are you looking at the drives with any provided software that was provided since that would be two different things?

I don't mean to bug you I just like clarity as I am certain others do too.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
serverlad
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:00 pm 

Oh man I just saw the pictures and I greatly appreciate them and that CFI Board Number is very helpful to determine the Host Board they are using. The BIOS you pictured is from the backplane so its definitely and indicator that there must be a backplane board revision quite possibly to address drop out issues but then its just guess work on my part.

Also I appreciate the picture of the cable connections to confirm only the eSATA Cable is at play and not the USB Cable.

Very nice. Now if the Good Folks at Sans Digital will get back to me with my inquiry that would be totally awesome.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
serverlad
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Oh man I just saw the pictures and I greatly appreciate them and that CFI Board Number is very helpful to determine the Host Board they are using. The BIOS you pictured is from the backplane so its definitely and indicator that there must be a backplane board revision quite possibly to address drop out issues but then its just guess work on my part.

Also I appreciate the picture of the cable connections to confirm only the eSATA Cable is at play and not the USB Cable.

Very nice. Now if the Good Folks at Sans Digital will get back to me with my inquiry that would be totally awesome.

Hi, I was just wondering if you wanted to see inside the unit a bit more

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 457.71 KiB | Viewed 10321 times ]
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 416.2 KiB | Viewed 10321 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:49 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Diehard wrote:
What's important to know is what was the 3TB free space when it was a pooled drive. Because when you add a drive larger than 2TB through the Console, it will be formatted MBR which means a maximum size of 2TB. The balance will be unusable.

However if you preformat the drive GPT then it will have the full 2.78TB free space. The you add it as a non pooled backup drive without formatting through the Console or else it will be formatted MBR with the 2TB limit.

Hi, yes I formatted it by remote desktop connection into the WHS then formatted it that way, as I said it took ages and it did format to GPT

I just wanted to see what would happen with a larger drive

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

serverlad wrote:
Diehard wrote:

Hi, yes I formatted it by remote desktop connection into the WHS then formatted it that way, as I said it took ages and it did format to GPT

I just wanted to see what would happen with a larger drive

Thanks

You can format a 3tb all day with the PC.
But when you elect to add it to the storage pool you have no choice to not format it again.
As soon as you add the drive to the storage pool not as a backup drive WHS will reformat the drive.
Bam, MBR format and you don't get the full drive capacity of a 3TB.
So I see some smoke and mirrors on this statement.

Nice to see some images but for this item I would like to see some screen shots of the drive installed using the server storage TAB of the console.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next