It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 am 
Offline
1TB storage
1TB storage

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts
Thanks for the help!!


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:46 pm 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
So I know resurrecting an old thread but had a question. Grabbed the L5430 processor, used the mod, and cut the tabs but my machine just won't boot with it installed. Put the old CPU in and it's perfectly fine. Any ideas?


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:03 am 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 300
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 27 times in 25 posts
Ripstop is still active on the forum. PM him and ask if he will post a suggestion on this thread. I wouldn't mind giving this a shot myself.

_________________
Hi All, Thanks to everyone for your continued effort to keep the MSS & WHS alive. Haven't registered yet? Please do so the moderators know your here!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:39 am 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 am
Posts: 88
Thanks: 4
Thanked: 15 times in 13 posts
Hiya,

Got your PM. So I have done these Xeon upgrades many times now and have only failed on a few things. The most obvious one I had was that when I cut the tabs in the socket on the motherboard I hadn't trimmed quite enough material and although it looked as though it was seated properly it wasn't obviously quite enough to push all the pins to make contact. All I did was go back and cut some more material off and it worked. This is where I didn't even get a BIOS posting so very similar to your experience. You can also file a groove in the CPU die if you are feeling brave with the same result. Personally I think this is your likely issue here.

The second possibility is a duff or misplaced sticker mod but in reality I have never had an issue with these as long as they are placed correctly and I have re-seated these converted CPU's many times in several of my EX49x's without a problem.

Finally the only other thing is that the code tables pushed into the BIOS may not be correct. The little HP's only have room for about 4 families of CPU intel microcodes and you need to make sure you have the right one for the 5400 series of Xeons which should be the 067A ones. Even if you do pick the wrong ones the machine should still attempt to boot although the fans go wild :) Details further up the thread.

Finally though I discovered another gem of a processor which is quite rare but works a treat and that's the LGA 775 socketed L3360 which runs faster than the L5430 and doesn't need the mod. Its a little more expensive but I have tried almost all CPU's that can work in the Ex49x's and after ensuring the microcode tables were correct all have worked with standard passive cooling.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Rip

_________________
X510, Xeon Quad L3360 2.86GHz Server 2019 + Essentials 2016,SANS DIGITAL TR5M
EX490, E8400 Server 2019
EX490, E8600 WHS 2011
EX490, E8400 Ubuntu server 16.04
EX475 Athlon BE-2350 2.1GHz WHS v1


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Ripstop wrote:
Hiya,

Got your PM. So I have done these Xeon upgrades many times now and have only failed on a few things. The most obvious one I had was that when I cut the tabs in the socket on the motherboard I hadn't trimmed quite enough material and although it looked as though it was seated properly it wasn't obviously quite enough to push all the pins to make contact. All I did was go back and cut some more material off and it worked. This is where I didn't even get a BIOS posting so very similar to your experience. You can also file a groove in the CPU die if you are feeling brave with the same result. Personally I think this is your likely issue here.

The second possibility is a duff or misplaced sticker mod but in reality I have never had an issue with these as long as they are placed correctly and I have re-seated these converted CPU's many times in several of my EX49x's without a problem.

Finally the only other thing is that the code tables pushed into the BIOS may not be correct. The little HP's only have room for about 4 families of CPU intel microcodes and you need to make sure you have the right one for the 5400 series of Xeons which should be the 067A ones. Even if you do pick the wrong ones the machine should still attempt to boot although the fans go wild :) Details further up the thread.

Finally though I discovered another gem of a processor which is quite rare but works a treat and that's the LGA 775 socketed L3360 which runs faster than the L5430 and doesn't need the mod. Its a little more expensive but I have tried almost all CPU's that can work in the Ex49x's and after ensuring the microcode tables were correct all have worked with standard passive cooling.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Rip


Thanks for the input. I'm going to assume it's a bad CPU. I went as far as even grinding down the CPU notches on the actual CPU and all I get is health light and power. No activity whatsoever. I'm just going to break down and grab a 9550s and call it quits. Thanks for the info though


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 am
Posts: 88
Thanks: 4
Thanked: 15 times in 13 posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm going to assume it's a bad CPU. I went as far as even grinding down the CPU notches on the actual CPU and all I get is health light and power. No activity whatsoever. I'm just going to break down and grab a 9550s and call it quits. Thanks for the info though

Thats a shame as I havent had a bad CPU yet.. usually Xeons are pretty robust by their very nature. Let me know how you get on. You should also check that L3360 out which looks almost identical to the Q9550s. In fact I am not sure what the difference is :)

Rip.

_________________
X510, Xeon Quad L3360 2.86GHz Server 2019 + Essentials 2016,SANS DIGITAL TR5M
EX490, E8400 Server 2019
EX490, E8600 WHS 2011
EX490, E8400 Ubuntu server 16.04
EX475 Athlon BE-2350 2.1GHz WHS v1


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Ripstop wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm going to assume it's a bad CPU. I went as far as even grinding down the CPU notches on the actual CPU and all I get is health light and power. No activity whatsoever. I'm just going to break down and grab a 9550s and call it quits. Thanks for the info though

Thats a shame as I havent had a bad CPU yet.. usually Xeons are pretty robust by their very nature. Let me know how you get on. You should also check that L3360 out which looks almost identical to the Q9550s. In fact I am not sure what the difference is :)

Rip.


Yeah I don't know the difference either. The 9550 has 200 points more on passmark. But won't matter I'm my case. Both are about the same on eBay in price. The 9550s is mostly all out of China. Got a good lead on a 9550s cheap here in the states. So if that falls through will prolly go after the 3360.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:26 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 300
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 27 times in 25 posts
If you end up running the 65w q9550s, make sure you set your fans to run at full. When I was running one I'd have random temp shutdowns using the default fan slope and backed down to the Q8200s because I got tired of the fan noise.

I was kinda hoping to see how that 50w L5430 would get on...

_________________
Hi All, Thanks to everyone for your continued effort to keep the MSS & WHS alive. Haven't registered yet? Please do so the moderators know your here!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
lioninstreet wrote:
If you end up running the 65w q9550s, make sure you set your fans to run at full. When I was running one I'd have random temp shutdowns using the default fan slope and backed down to the Q8200s because I got tired of the fan noise.

I was kinda hoping to see how that 50w L5430 would get on...


Yeah I've already thrown in better fans so that shouldn't be an issue. Adjusted the fan curve with some software. Don't take my failure as the end. Many people have gotten it working with little to no trouble. I'm 90% sure I have a bad CPU. Might stop by free geek and pick up a 771 board and see if it works tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 300
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 27 times in 25 posts
jmztaylor wrote:
Adjusted the fan curve with some software.


Do tell... the AM BIOS is pretty cryptic on fan slopes.

_________________
Hi All, Thanks to everyone for your continued effort to keep the MSS & WHS alive. Haven't registered yet? Please do so the moderators know your here!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 pm 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
lioninstreet wrote:
jmztaylor wrote:
Adjusted the fan curve with some software.


Do tell... the AM BIOS is pretty cryptic on fan slopes.


Basically just followed this

https://askubuntu.com/a/46135

Another side note. Does anyone have a part number for a 4G stick of RAM that works? I've tried 3 now and all duds


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 am 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 300
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 27 times in 25 posts
jmztaylor wrote:
Basically just followed this
https://askubuntu.com/a/46135
Your running Ubuntu then? I'm still running WHSv1. If so thanks, for the link but I don't think I could do much with it. I did try speedfan a while back but it doesn't play nice with the AM BIOS.

jmztaylor wrote:
Another side note. Does anyone have a part number for a 4G stick of RAM that works? I've tried 3 now and all duds
Basically, with a memory upgrade if you follow the below your chances of success should improve:

(edit with reference 11.25.19) G33 Chipset memory supports (per Intel whitepaper pg8): https://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/316971.pdf

Supported⎯ Raw Card C - Single Sided x16 un-buffered non-ECC 1Rx16
Supported⎯ Raw Card D - Single Sided x8 un-buffered non-ECC 1Rx8
Supported⎯ Raw Card E - Double Sided x8 un-buffered non-ECC 2Rx8
Unsupported⎯ Raw Card H - Double Sided x16 un-buffered non-ECC 2Rx16

My primary box runs a 4gb G.Skill F2-6400 CL5S-4GBPQ but you can also get the same stick in cl6 as a G.Skill F2-6400CL6S-4GBMQ. I've also personally had success with:

Hynix 4gb 2Rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12 (HMP351U6AFR8C-S6). The S6 is 800 6-6-6, the S5 is 800 5-5-5, avoid the Y5 since it's 667.
Samsung 4gb 2Rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12 e3 (M378T5263AZ3-CF7 0908). This got a bit weird because when you Google the Samsung M number, some of the photos that come up show a 2Rx16 stick that only works on AMD boards. The working stick I have is double sided 2Rx8 configuration.
Patriot 4gb pc2-6400 cl6 PSD28G800K (PS000657). No issue, it just works, but I think this number may possibly have been for the 2 stick kit.

Others have posted on this site having success with:

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 991762
Crucial CT51264AA667
Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G
. Note that Kingston was kind enough to make a production change on this stick without changing the PN#. So if you end up with the 2Rx16 stick that has 16 chips per side, it wont work. You must use the 2Rx8 stick with 8 chips per side.

These days, any of the above 3 brand sticks as well as the Patriot & both of the G.Skill are going to be a challenge to find new. And even when found used, they typically command a premium. Worse is trying to find any 4gb cl5 DDR2. I think there's a seller on Amazon (KomputerBay) still selling new unbranded sticks of cl5 800Mhz 6400 PC2 for $50-$60, which is almost tolerable. Even the used, name brand sticks can regularly go for more than that.

On the other hand, the Hynix & Samsung sticks came to me new from Chinese vendors for around $20 delivered. They're both cl6 800hz. For maybe the 1% extra speed the cl5 gives, I'll settle for the $20 stick.

jmztaylor wrote:
Grabbed the L5430 processor, used the mod, and cut the tabs. But my machine just won't boot with it installed. Put the old CPU in and it's perfectly fine. Any ideas?
Since your still fighting that boot problem, I should also mention that the Wistron board in the MSS seems somewhat sensitive to BIOS battery voltage. Meaning if your BIOS battery is weak, the board wont boot. I ran into this problem a while back while testing some PSU's and memory. No amount of swapping parts would make this working board boot. Two of the MSS lights would flash for sec., but no boot & no video signal.

Frustrated and at my wits end, I tested the battery's voltage and it was a bit low compared to a new one, so I changed it. And what do you know? All those bad PSU's and memory sticks started working again.... (might not need to be said, but the positive side should be facing the cpu).

I know you posted that you can boot ok fine with a different CPU, but I thought I'd mention the battery thing anyways. Both the CR2025 & the CR2032 fit and if you've never changed it, considering it's something like 10 years old you prolly should.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with trying that L5430 on another board.

_________________
Hi All, Thanks to everyone for your continued effort to keep the MSS & WHS alive. Haven't registered yet? Please do so the moderators know your here!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod


Last edited by lioninstreet on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:09 pm 
Offline
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 am
Posts: 88
Thanks: 4
Thanked: 15 times in 13 posts
Interesting information...

All of my boxes do not push the fans hard at all even with the 65W E8600 and the only reason they did was because the Microcode tables weren't correct or they needed to be rebooted a few times. I did look at the settings in the BIOS when I reflashed them but decided to leave well alone :)

I have also changed the battery on ALL of my boxes now as they wouldn't keep the date and I had some low voltage batteries. They are almost 10 years old after all. I also re did the heat compound on each CPU as some had dried out. I have also polished the heat sink bases a little to aid contact with the CPU die's.

My RAM sticks are:-
Micron 4GB CL5 333Mhz Module Part Number: 16HTF51264AZ-667C1
Patriot 4GB CL6 400Mhz Module Part Number: PSD24G8002

Current temps:-
L3360 shows CPU at 34C with fans running very quiet - Win 2019 << Very impressed with this CPU
E8400 shows CPU at 45C with fans on medium - Win 2019
E8600 shows CPU at 42C with fans on medium - WHS2011
E8400 shows CPU at 46C with fans on low to medium - Ubuntu 16.04

_________________
X510, Xeon Quad L3360 2.86GHz Server 2019 + Essentials 2016,SANS DIGITAL TR5M
EX490, E8400 Server 2019
EX490, E8600 WHS 2011
EX490, E8400 Ubuntu server 16.04
EX475 Athlon BE-2350 2.1GHz WHS v1


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:58 am 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
So a little update. Grabbed G Skill 4GB stick and the L3360 CPU. Plugged both in and worked perfectly without any fuss. Default fan profile seems to be working fine. Stress test acted normal.

Another note. mediaserverd for the LEDs. Anyone got it working right on EX495? It just turns on the leds and doesn't show hard drive activity or brightness controls dont work. Is there a binary running around here for ours or has nobody gone that far with it


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:29 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 300
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 27 times in 25 posts
jmztaylor wrote:
So a little update. Grabbed G Skill 4GB stick and the L3360 CPU. Plugged both in and worked perfectly without any fuss. Default fan profile seems to be working fine. Stress test acted normal.

Another note. mediaserverd for the LEDs. Anyone got it working right on EX495? It just turns on the leds and doesn't show hard drive activity or brightness controls dont work. Is there a binary running around here for ours or has nobody gone that far with it
Sounds like even though the L3360 and the Q9550s benchmark close to each other, the Xeon runs a ton cooler..

Could you clarify the LED issue. Your saying your drive lights don't go on but the three lower lights are OK fine blue? And all the lights work with the OE CPU?

I never heard of mediaserverd for LED. could that be a typo??

You had to flash the BIOS to try the L5430. I've never seen anyone with a copy of the OE ex49x BIOS, but did you happen to try flashing it back to see what would happen?

_________________
Hi All, Thanks to everyone for your continued effort to keep the MSS & WHS alive. Haven't registered yet? Please do so the moderators know your here!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group