It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
jmztaylor wrote:
So a little update. Grabbed G Skill 4GB stick and the L3360 CPU. Plugged both in and worked perfectly without any fuss. Default fan profile seems to be working fine. Stress test acted normal.

Another note. mediaserverd for the LEDs. Anyone got it working right on EX495? It just turns on the leds and doesn't show hard drive activity or brightness controls dont work. Is there a binary running around here for ours or has nobody gone that far with it
Sounds like even though the L3360 and the Q9550s benchmark close to each other, the Xeon runs a ton cooler..

Could you clarify the LED issue. Your saying your drive lights don't go on but the three lower lights are OK fine blue? And all the lights work with the OE CPU?

I never heard of mediaserverd for LED. could that be a typo??

You had to flash the BIOS to try the L5430. I've never seen anyone with a copy of the OE ex49x BIOS, but did you happen to try flashing it back to see what would happen?

Im on stock BIOS. What I am talking about with the LEDs. Normally when you have linux installed on this or anything other than original OS, you have health light blinking and no hard drive lights. Using this on linux, https://github.com/merelin/mediasmartserverd I get the health light to stop blinking and the hard drive LEDs to light up. But no activity light on the drives. And cannot control the brightness. Obviously, this is because it was written for the 485 and the 490/495 uses a different controller I'm assuming. I'm completely fine with the activity not showing, just wish I could control the brightness a bit.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OK got it. Forgot you were running Linux.

I'm basically a noob with BIOS mods (other than flashing) so forgive a basic question. How did you get back to stock, do you have a copy of it and flash or?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
OK got it. Forgot you were running Linux.

I'm basically a noob with BIOS mods (other than flashing) so forgive a basic question. How did you get back to stock, do you have a copy of it and flash or?

I never flashed a modded BIOS. In theory should just be able to flash it. Not sure where to find the stock bios though

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:20 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Understood,

The BIOS flash OP talks about is to make the CPU temperature report correctly and so the fans don't run at 100%, not to make the MSS see the L5430.

You didn't get it to boot up with that chip so had no need to worry about the incorrect temp reporting or fans....

I actually have a L3360 but didn't run it thinking that since it has the same TDP as the q9950s it would run at a similar (hot) temp. Sounds like I should swap it in. Can you see with Linux what your idle temps & delta are with it?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
Understood,

The BIOS flash OP talks about is to make the CPU temperature report correctly and so the fans don't run at 100%, not to make the MSS see the L5430.

You didn't get it to boot up with that chip so had no need to worry about the incorrect temp reporting or fans....

I actually have a L3360 but didn't run it thinking that since it has the same TDP as the q9950s it would run at a similar (hot) temp. Sounds like I should swap it in. Can you see with Linux what your idle temps & delta are with it?

Sitting at 27C idle

Under stress test I can get it up to about 65C

Nothing scientific about what i am doing. Just very rarely will all 4 cores run at 100%. My transcodes don't usually take more than 30% load

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:32 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I installed mediasmartserver from the same Ubuntu link but I don't know how (Linux ignorance) and it started working even though it couldn't or can't patch from the older code branch. It constantly always fails the recompile but is actually working.

Here's the package install :-

Setting up mediasmartserver (0.5.6-1ubuntu1~raring) ...
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
dpkg: error processing package mediasmartserver (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
mediasmartserver

However my lights do work on a 490 series and it even shows patching status for both security and component updates (varying colours). My disk activity lights work as well.

RE: L3360 - I regard this as the best CPU to use on the EX490 range without a doubt, cool, relatively fast, Quad core and has an LGA 775 socket.

EX490, E8400 Ubuntu server 16.04
EX475 Athlon BE-2350 2.1GHz WHS v1

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:45 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ripstop wrote:
I installed mediasmartserver from the same Ubuntu link but I don't know how (Linux ignorance) and it started working even though it couldn't or can't patch from the older code branch. It constantly always fails the recompile but is actually working.

Here's the package install :-

Setting up mediasmartserver (0.5.6-1ubuntu1~raring) ...
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
dpkg: error processing package mediasmartserver (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
mediasmartserver

However my lights do work on a 490 series and it even shows patching status for both security and component updates (varying colours). My disk activity lights work as well.

RE: L3360 - I regard this as the best CPU to use on the EX490 range without a doubt, cool, relatively fast, Quad core and has an LGA 775 socket.

So you used the deb file in the repo? I was compiling from source.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:

So this is my limit of my knowledge and I can't remember what I did sorry, but I can tell you what I have done...

The mediasmartserverd.conf has this line in it
exec /usr/sbin/mediasmartserverd --activity --update-monitor

However I dont know how I made it run after every update run or at the start of the server boot. Its been a while :D If you want me to check some stuff happy to look for things.

I think I pretty much followed the guidance in here https://github.com/merelin/mediasmartserverd

Attachments:
LinuxLED.JPG
LinuxLED.JPG [ 121.26 KiB | Viewed 14473 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ripstop wrote:
Quote:

So this is my limit of my knowledge and I can't remember what I did sorry, but I can tell you what I have done...

The mediasmartserverd.conf has this line in it
exec /usr/sbin/mediasmartserverd --activity --update-monitor

However I dont know how I made it run after every update run or at the start of the server boot. Its been a while :D If you want me to check some stuff happy to look for things.

I think I pretty much followed the guidance in here https://github.com/merelin/mediasmartserverd

can you upload the /usr/sbin/mediasmartserverd file here? I wonder why im not getting anything like that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes I think so.... just remove the .txt extension for Linux I guess.

Attachments:
mediasmartserverd.txt [95.41 KiB]
Downloaded 652 times

Thanks