It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:50 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Factory Recovery I guess means Factory Reset, Comp???????
There are only two options.
Server Recovery and Factory Reset.

There is no such thing as Factory Recovery for a ex49x.

Even though you reference it in multiple posts.

Don't want to confuse the masses.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 pm 

Yes but what I mean is your recovering the factory image same thing factory reset, factory recovery its all the same or you could call it a bare metal restore.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm liking the idea of WHS 2011. Interstingly, I bought a new CPU for this server - Core 2 Duo E8500, so logical to also upgrade the OS.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be the retrieve the files in my present situation if installed WHS 2011. Would it work like this?

Drives:
Drive 0 - Failing 1TB System/Data HD presently in server
Drive 1 - Healthy 1TB Pool drive presently in server (mainly duplicates of Drive 0 data)
Drive 2 - Failed 2TB Pool drive
Drive 3 - Helathy 2TB Pool drive - presently in server
Drive 4 - New 1TB system drive
Drive 5 - New 2TB pool drive

1. Install new WHS 2011 OS to new 1TB WD Black Drive in server (Drive 4)
2. Install new 2TB Pool drive to server (Drive 5) + add to pool (woudl I jumper 7+8 to bypass AF, or does 2011 cope with AF?)
3. Open failing OS/Data 1TB drive on client PC (Drive 0)
4. Through windows on client, copy and paste all files in hidden Data folder to the pool on server.
5. Insert Healthy server 1TB drive (Drive 1) into client PC
6. Open and check no additional files to those already on server/off drive 0
7. Format Drive 1 + add to Server
8. Open Drive 3 on client PC + copy over files to server pool
9. Format Drive 3 + add to server.
10. Open Drive 2 on client PC + check no additional files compared to Drive 3
11. If any additional - copy to server.

Lastly, because I added drive 5 to the server and rmeoval of bad ddrive completed partially, Drive 5 has some data on - should i just format drive 5 before adding as in process above?

Your help appreciated + man! Is this thing a B ache or what?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 pm 

:offtopic:

If you really wan to go down that road and continue discussing it then I would recommend starting a new Topic within one of the Windows Home Server 2011 forum areas.

Now that you have a Dock you can connect them to another computer set to be able to read Hidden FIles and Folders.

Now would be a great time to pickup a 2TB or Larger Drive and basically copy all your data to the drive and mark it as your backup drive. This will become very useful if you do opt to install WHS2011 on your server.

Things you need to know about migrating to WHS2011 on any MSS:

(1) Its not a simple install like performing a Recovery in WHS using the HP Provided Server Recovery Disk because the server has no video port

- Get a DEBUG Board or follow one of the many Blind installation guids but the Debug Board will make it easier to install

(2) The LED's on the Server Will not function correctly and the health light will constantly blink Blue

- This part is correctable with some software and installing the INTEL RST DRIVER

(3) WHS2011 recoveries are different then WHSv1

- Setup a backup drive be it internal or external so you can recover the OS from the backup

(4) WHS2011 lacks the DE Technology that WHSv1 has

- Install 3rd party Drive Pool Software like Drive Bender or Stablebit Drive Pool

(5) WHS2011 lacks the number of ADD-INs that WHSv1 has

- If you run a lot of ADD-INs you may want to keep WHSv1 running on your EX49x and just build a WHS2011 Box or not move over to WHS2011

(6) There is not clean way to upgrade from WHSv1 to WHS2011 so the install will be a clean installation and you will need to physically copy your data to the new WHS2011 setup.

(7) Take sometime to review what others have written about their experiences with migrating from WHSv1 on an MSS to WHS2011. Some chose to go back to WHSv1 others opted to go further by installing WS2012E and then there are those who installed other Server Operating Systems. Reading these types of posts should help you to decide is changing he OS is really in your best interest or not. So again Backup your data and read as much as you can to see which is the best solution for you.

(8) With WHS2011 and a Drive Pooling software solution you can use larger then 2TB Drives which is a big plus for a small form factor system but your storage needs at this point are small as you only have 1.1 TB of Data on your server but if your storage needs do grow then WHS2011 may prove to be a good fit for you but if they basically remain the same then WHSv1 maybe the perfect solution for you but you really need to put some thought into it.

EDIT: WHS2011 has no issues with AF Drives they are all plug and play as AF drives are 100% compatible with WHS2011.

:ontopic:

I highly recommend you backup your data and while doing that or continuing to working on your drive removal issue or possibly opting to perform a Recovery you could think about upgrading to WHS2011.

If you want to continue working on your current server setup then I will be more then happy to continue working with you. :sanjuan:

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:05 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks Comp.

I've gotta say, I really am growing to hate this bloody box.

Gonna skip WHS 2011.

Going for the server recovery option now with the other disks installed - recovery onto the new system drive.

I remember having problems with this before. No matter what I do, continually saying "Failed step 4 of 4" - read around load on it. Have:

- Deleted PXE folder
- Turned off anti virus and windows firewall (+ advanced)
- Formatted the system drive NTFS
- Turned off wireless.

Nothing I do seem to work. I think I'm gonna throw this heap of junk out of the window and vow never to buy anything from HP ever again. I should have known from all the bloatware they install with printers.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 pm 

I do know how frustrating thing can be and I have worked closely with many people who like yourself were about the throw their unit out the window, or take it to the driveway and run over it. I personally know what its like to have your only server down, maybe that's why I have multiple servers today but I have always told people if your willing to try I am willing to stick with you and see if we can sort things out. Many did and resolved their issues. Very few gave up and some had issues that we just could not work around but if your willing to keep at it I am willing to hang in there with you.

No one hates recoveries more then me and I have done my fair share of them not so much because they were required but because I was there helping people sort through things and sometimes I just needed to refresh my memory on certain aspects of the recovery process as not all the HP Models recovery the same way or display the same color LED Blink Codes or Sequences. I personally do not like the TFTP Recovery Mode used by the LX19x, EX49x, X310 and X510 and I actually have 1 unit that has frustrated me enough to want to join you with throwing the unit out the window but while I do not need to have this unit working I have a bigger desire not to let a unit defeat me. So for me the unit is off to the side until I can dedicate a bit more time to it.

Now because I do not like the TFTP Method of putting the server into its recovery mode I am going to create a Bootable USB Flash Drive and configure it to place the server into its recovery mode using the WINPE Method used by the EX7x and EX48x models because its an easier recovery method and it can be used with the server connected to the network so I do not need to directly connect a server to a client although one could still do that to rule out network connectivity issues but the choice would be mine to make and last thing worth noting is this type of recovery allows me to also use other network devices you can not use with your EX490.

Sometimes the issues getting a recovery going is the actual hard drive your using new or used and sometimes it requires a Partition Removal without a format other times a Partition Removal with a Single Partition Format.

So if your willing to continue working on this then again I am willing to help you sort through and resolve your issue.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What I do is delete the volume on the system drive so it appears as a virgin unused disk.
if the first recovery attempt fails then again connect it to your pc and delete the volume again.
Because it has two partition's already the second attempt fails trying to recreate them.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Found the missing jigsaw piece. Did in Safe Mode and recovery succeeded. Now, I had already formatted the new drive before this, so hoping that won't hurt it. NTFS + "Auto" (assuming this would have gone to 512 as non-AF drive)

Now the server's sat there with the right hand light flashing blue. Think I remember this from last time - and just leaving it for now. Especially as doing recovery with the original 3 other drives in (including the failing/failed pool drive).

Did have a scoot round all the disks + see what y'all meant now - Got music/videos/User splashed all over the disks!!!

This folder duplication thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Surely just a straight darive to drive backup would make more sense? E.g. Pool drive 2 get copied to Pool Drive 3?? The if 2 fails - just straight copy back from Drive 3!

Anywhoos - gonna leave it overnight to wait for the "breathing white lights" - that always makes me laugh. Makes it sound like it's alive. If it was I'd kill it. Slowly and painfully!!!! :evil:

Cheers chaps

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:33 pm 

Placing the client into safe mode with networking helps out a lot because it disables a lot of things that tend to get in the way.

As for file and folder duplication I don't think we can explain it any simpler then we already have you just need to know that if you lose a drive and have file and folder duplication turned on that your files will exist on one of your other storage pool drives provided WHS had already duplicated the files that existed on the failed drive.

Understand this much and its very important. WHS does a really good job protecting your data but it only provides file redundancy within the server we call duplication. This is not a replacement for a good Backup. Files which are most important to you should exist in another location than the server to provide you with the best protection you can ask for. Some people have multiple drives they often rotate when they create their backups, others use optical media and then there is the cloud but you can chose any means you desire to protect your data. So the server provides redundancy but you must provide your own backup for additional protection.

As for the breathing or blinking blue light that will continue to occur until the point where you configure the server then you will see the drive lights turn on and if all goes well the health light will turn solid blue. You will at some point of course need to connect the server to your network to download all the updates. You will also need to reinstall all your ADD-INS and be sure to install HomeServerSMART Classic as it will keep a close eye on your hard drives and hopefully prevent you from going through this rather frustrating task again. Better to deal with a drive when its first acting up then having to deal with it when it really messes up. Its a real life saver for sure.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK... so absolute panic mode...

Server started "breathing." So did the next bit and tried to install the home server connector software on the laptop did install from. Did via direct ethernet wire - got to various stages in process before returning an error (another great unuseful HP error message - unspecified or whatever).

Tried various things - couldn't get this to complete. Anywho's put server back on my network and RDP'd in - successfully got through login, only to find the below:

None of my share folders have anything in!! Arrrgghhhh!!!!

However - looking at the disks - they still have what looks like the right amount of data on (implying the files are still on there)

So two things:

1) How am I gonna get the connector software installed?

2) How the hell am I gonna ensure my data doesn't go for a burton?? (I would love to have the money to buy another disk, but just not possible at the moment!)
I'm wondering whether I should pull the pool drives from the machine and transfer files via client > server??

Awful process this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:32 pm 

Now I am confused. If you could not install the connector to reconfigure the server how could you do an RDP Connection?

The other thing is please confirm the type of Recovery you performed was it a Factory Recovery or a Server Recovery and confirm if the storage pool drives were connected to the server.

I just need you to confirm what you do so I can better answer your question but I am confused. I know that during the initial recovery process WHS is wide open and you can see this if you have a debug board but from a client you can't and typically if you attempt an RDP Connection you will still need to logon and without having configured the server you that one has me confused. Also if the server has not been configured the storage pool would not of been rebuilt and your drive lights should be breathing and not be solid blue which is something you have not yet indicated.

If you deviate from the normal recovery process things can go wrong and while I know your anxious to get your server back the thing is to help you I need to know what you did to get to the point where you are now and the client software that can be installed off the client CD.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Did a Server Recovery with pool drives attached.

The connector software got so far - asked me for a server name + also admin password - I used the same one as I did before. It produced the error around this point. Then whenever I try the connector software again, it produces the error straight away, before downloading from server.

Weird thing is I can launch the console from the RDP. I got similar errors on launching it from here as I did pages before. Which is really weird, because this should be a fresh install of the OS, right?

I've clicked on auto update and now the consoles locked out.

Gonna have to put this one to bed soon. Ta for help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you forced a update it can take a long time and make the cpu very busy slowing down all other processes.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm 

yes if the server is doing its update thing its going to be very busy for quite some time there are a ton of updates the server will have to download and install and in some cases reboot and continue the process.

On top of that your server will also have to rebuild its storage pool and that means DE will be very active. DE can be processor intensive often pegging the processor so the response from the server will be greatly reduced.

Just let your server do its business and it will eventually settle down where you can use it again. Once you are able to get on to the console they you can finish configuring the server and a good indication that the storage pool is rebuilt would be the Hard Drive Light Bars being solid Blue.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks.

Returned from work today after leaving essentially 20 hours. RDP'd into server - message on console - Updated successfully - restart now.

So, restarted now. Now server been sat there for half hour with blue flashing health light and no drive lights. Can't RDP in or anything.

Beggars belief, this.

OK, back up after a long wait. However, now can't get into the console via RDP (can get into RDP):

The errors on trying to boot:

any ideas? These are same errors I was getting before - weird because surely this would have been re-installed as part of recovery process??

EDIT2: Right. Scrap all this crap. I'm going to follow my gut instinct on this one. Going to do factory reset onto new system drive with all other drives removed. Than gonna add new 2TB drive to pool once up and running. Then gonna plug each of the four original drives into a client PC and copy the files over (+ insert them back into server as pool once needed/files off them have been transferred). How does this sound??

I will never buy HP again. :(

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next