It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 am 

[???] EX490/495 new Bios?

is there any new bios for it? i am still using the original, and the fan speed is always loud with my Xeon, however, my other EX485 with the EX49x bios fan does not kick is as loud when using the same CPU... why is that?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 am 

To my knowledge HP never updated the BIOS for any of the MSS Servers. Because your running a different processor the BIOS maybe just ramping up the fans to keep the processor cool or the fans may need a serious cleaning and you would be amazed at what can get trapped between the fans, cage and plastic molding.

You can work with the fan speed settings in the BIOS but you need a DEBUG Cable and would have to set a jumper on the motherboard to access the BIOS and when changing the settings you need to set one other thing to so that the fan speed settings do not reset to their defaults when the server is rebooted. However changing these settings could damage your server if set improperly.

I would also be concerned with the Processor and its operating temperature. Not really sure how compatible that processor is with the server so I have no opinion on it but I would look closely at the temps just to make sure they are with operational range but my guess is the temp is elevated and the fan speed is elevated to compensate for the CPU temp but that's just speculation on my part.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:27 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What cpu are you using?
Once you get up past the E5800 and E6800 there are only a few cpu quad cores that will work, they are the LOW POWER versions.
Any other cpu will fry at some point, more so when summer comes and you fill all the drive bays, my guess is the fans will not be able to keep up and bad things will happen.
Not to mention the extra load on the power supply.

As for the Bios, these systems were not in service long enough to have bios updates. And if you do alter any settings in the bios I would document it so you will be able to return it to default should something happen unexpected.

Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:42 pm 

It sounds as though you are having similar issues to the ones I faced when upgrading to a xeon.

You could try updating the bios yourself... I give some details of the procedure in my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13760

Thanks