It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been running my EX490 for about a year with pretty much no issues. I had updated the server to 4GB of RAM and WHS 2011 with DrivePool.

I bought an E8600 from eBay recently and finally got around to installing it last night. The installation was a breeze but upon first boot I received an alert from DrivePool that my 2nd disk was missing. Disk Management showed the drive present but as RAW instead of NTFS. Moving the drive to slot 4 allowed the disk to be recognized as formatted with NTFS. Putting a new disk into slot 2 and formatting it worked fine so I'm not sure what that was all about but I decided to just leave the system with the faster proc.

Being paranoid about temperature, I left the server running with RDP open and Core Temp open. I came back to the server about an hour later and noticed that my eSATA enclosure had only 1 drive light on (which usually indicates some issue with the host system). Checking the RDP session I had open, I discovered that the whole system locked up and the only thing I could do was power the server off and turn it back on again. At the time the system froze, Core Temp showed the temperatures for both cores to be around 64 degrees C which I believe is OK.

After rebooting the server worked fine for a little while then locked up twice more before I decided to put the stock Celeron back in. After putting the Celeron back the server has been stable and I am able to put the drive back to slot 2 without issue.

I checked the server Event Log but I didn't see anything that would indicate what the issue could be. Do you guys have any thoughts/pointers?

Thanks!

Core 2 Duo E8600 (Wolfdale)
4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am 

While I am not certain of how compatible the E8600 is with the EX49x, what I do know is that with any CPU Upgrade you should always stick with what is known to work well with the server model you own. Now thanks to many early adopters willing to try various CPU's and report their findings there are plenty of posts about which CPU's work well with each server model and if there are multiple versions of a particular CPU which versions work best and which do not.

Recently I upgraded an EX490 to an E5800, the processor actually ran cooler then the Stock Celeron and the performance is quite good. There are some Quad Core Processors which are reported to work well but are hard to find and very expensive. Of course I opted to give this a try because Gardian was reporting very good results with them in his servers

You could go with the E5200 which was used with the EX485 but the E5800 will run circles around it and also run cooler which is good for your server.

So the next time you see a processor your interested in I recommend you perform a site search for it to see if anyone has posted about it to see if its viable or not. Also pay close attention to any S-Spec listing so you do not purchase the wrong processor.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the reply but I did do research before purchasing the E8600 and I did see that there were other users running it in their EX490 without issues.

I am thinking heat is the main culprit as even before I touched the processor I ran Core Temp for a bit and saw the average temperature hover around 70 degrees C. Right now the stock Celeron at almost idle is running at 66 degrees C which is a bit toasty. I may need to see if there is any way of improving the cooling.

4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am 

I would look more at the HP Health listing for the actual CPU temperature to get the correct CPU temp which should be somewhere around 50c not the temps your reporting so the software your using may be looking at a different sensor on the motherboard.

Here is the temp of the E5800 running on my EX490.

Attachment:
EX490_E5800_CPU_Temp.JPG
EX490_E5800_CPU_Temp.JPG [ 131.81 KiB | Viewed 11967 times ]

If I may ask what are you using your server for besides Client Backups and Central File Storage?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:39 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I would look more at the HP Health listing for the actual CPU temperature to get the correct CPU temp which should be somewhere around 50c not the temps your reporting so the software your using may be looking at a different sensor on the motherboard.

Here is the temp of the E5800 running on my EX490.

Attachment:
EX490_E5800_CPU_Temp.JPG

If I may ask what are you using your server for besides Client Backups and Central File Storage?

None of the HP software would work since I'm not running WHSv1 but WHS 2011. I've used both Core Temp and HWMonitor to check the temperature and they both report the same data. They are querying the thermal diode on the processor itself which should be far more accurate than the external diode the HP application queries.

The primary use of the server is media storage/streaming locally as well as FTP for sharing files with my family and friends. I also run the Subsonic music streamer so I can listen to my music library when away from home.

I wanted to get a better/faster processor because I was going to try doing some transcoding of video for streaming purposes as well.

I don't use the server for client backups at all.

4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would shudder if my cpu was at or above 60C.
Since you had to disassemble the unit to install the cpu.
I would be looking at the fans to verify they are working.
the processor is rated for max 72c
Then I would inspect and reseat the backplane for drive connection issues.
Which I see you probably did when you reinstalled the stock cpu.
so maybe you resolved the drive issue not by the stock cpu but just by reseating the backplane when you put it back together the second time.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
smapdi
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:54 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I would shudder if my cpu was at or above 60C.
Since you had to disassemble the unit to install the cpu.
I would be looking at the fans to verify they are working.
the processor is rated for max 72c
Then I would inspect and reseat the backplane for drive connection issues.
Which I see you probably did when you reinstalled the stock cpu.
so maybe you resolved the drive issue not by the stock cpu but just by reseating the backplane when you put it back together the second time.

Yeah, I think I will have to double-check the fans and clean everything thoroughly. I'll re-apply AS Ceramique on the Celeron and hopefully see better temps. If they go down to the 40 range, I'll try the E8600 again.

4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Last edited by smapdi on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:32 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

remember that when using the paste on the cpu.
because the new one is 65w it will be hotter.
but most manufactures recommend power cycling the cpu.
Artic silver is what I use and they state to get full benefit that it should warm up to operating temp.
then be turned off to cool down several times.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
remember that when using the paste on the cpu.
because the new one is 65w it will be hotter.
but most manufactures recommend power cycling the cpu.
Artic silver is what I use and they state to get full benefit that it should warm up to operating temp.
then be turned off to cool down several times.

I'm using Arctic Silver Ceramique which is about 2% less efficient than AC5 but just happens to be what I have on hand. I'll have to remember to cycle the CPU but even without cycling the initial thermals should be somewhere in the 40's not the 60's like I've seen.

4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Quick update. I had some free time last night to re-try the upgrade. I checked that the fans all worked and were dust free.

This time I spent a lot more time using isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the heatsink and processor. I then applied AS Ceramique using the center line method. The server booted up with the temps around 60 but they quickly fell to the low 50's and by the time I went to bed they were at 37. Right now the thermals are hovering around 44 per core which is significantly better than the mid-to-high 60's they were before. I'm hoping that as the thermal grease cures, they'll even out around the low 40's.

I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about this upgrade. I've not experienced freezing (yet) nor have I had a single issue with the drives and the temps seem to be stabilizing.

Thanks for all your help Ruben.

4GB RAM

Past:
EX470
WHSv1
LE-1640 CPU
2GB RAM

Thanks