It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I was installing the VGA card and it was working great until I put my EX495 together and I had installed the front panel connector backwards, yes I saw that I actually cracked the connector since it's not supposed to go the wrong way. Anyway anyone have any suggestions if it's possible for me to revive it? It will not respond to the power on at all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Not sure what item you mean ,to be the front panel connector?
Are you are talking about the molex connector on the cable that plugs into the Mother board?
Or the Mother board itself?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The connector coming from the motherboard going into the front panel where the power lights and reset switch is located. The one that I plugged in backwards is the one on the front panel side.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

WOW.
First thing I would do is unplug the connector and look for bent pins.
I do recall ,could be wrong, there is a plug on one pin for orientation.
So if careful it could be a simple matter of some needle nose pliers to bend the pins back so they don't touch.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'll check when I get home but I was lacking a lot of sleep when I reassembled it and didn't bother looking at the pins to see if any of them are bent. I hope it's as simple as that. Thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 pm 

Sometimes when your tired its best to leave things for the next day but if your intent on completing something then its always best to check and then check again.

Also recheck all the other connections like the FANs and Hard Drive LED Board. I believe you can leave the LED Boards disconnected. Also check to make sure the PSU/Motherboard Assembly is properly seated since the power button is actually on the back of the motherboard so if its not fully seated the plastic button on the back panel my not be making contact to the power button on the motherboard. If this is the case then not harm was done but still recheck the connections to make certain not are backwards or offset by 1 pin.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:51 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I looked carefully and made sure everything was seated properly still no go. I didn't see any bent pins or anything like that. I think this media server is just toast, I can't test the power supply to see if it works since it is different from a regular pc. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm replacing it with an hp ML 110, i'm done with media server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm 

Sorry to hear your done with your EX495. Should you want to take a look at the PSU you can use the following link to address the PSU: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Supply

Should you want to purchase a direct replacement PSU check out the following link: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/02 ... t-servers/

Currently Overtek is shut down but will reopen soon.

If you want to sell your EX495 please feel free to post a For Sale Post.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you for the info! especially the link about PSU modification, now I know I can short pin 1+2 to check if the PSU is actually dead, if it is then i'll buy one :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm 

If you find you need a PSU you can get one from Overtek LTD who will resume selling PSU's around April 15th.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you for the responses. Looks like I'm in the market for a new PSU. I shorted pins 1+2 and nothing happened. I didn't think it was the PSU because I didn't see any grinding noise and it wasn't spitting out smoke. I had it working outside of the box and then unplugged the power then re-assembled it then power would not come back on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am 

Some failures occur without warning. Of course if the PSU Fan stopped working things would get quieter and the PSU would simply overheat and at some point in time fail but it would of giving you warnings like the server shutting down without any reason.

Some have taken their PSU's apart and troubleshot the issue and have found issues with voltage regulators or bad caps but bad caps. There is a PCB 5A Fuse in the PSU but having a blown fuse and replacing it without additional troubleshooting is a bit tricky since this fuse is soldered to the PCB.

I don't repair PSU's anymore my hands are not as steady as they use to be so any soldering work for me these days is more time consuming then it use to be and the small PSU's used in the MSS are tight. Being able to get a direct replacement is a better way to go. The PSU's Overtek sells are of better quality then what HP installed in the MSS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm 

Comp1962,

The problems Artah is having has me woindering if you could help me... Artah - I'm not trying to take over your post - perhaps any answers provided might help you too.

I have a 490 and it sounded like there was issues with the fan on the PSU. I took teh unit apart to try and see if there was an issue with it and get better access to clean it in the event that i might just be a dust build-up. Blasted teh dust from it and took the opportunity to celar the accumulated dust inside the case. I put the unit back together and when I plugged it back in there was a visilbe spark - where from I don't know - but definitely the bottom of the unit. The only thing directly above where the fan on the PSU is the network jack.

The unit would not turn on. Took it apart because I could smell a burnt smell. My best though / hope was that the PSU shorted out and not the motherboard. I jumpered pins 1 and 2 and the fan would run. Put the unit back together and the unit started but shut down in a couple seconds. Tried several times to get it to start but sometimes the unit would start but do nothing - the only way It wouild shut down was to pull the power out. Other times it would start and shut off right away. Sometimes the network lights would light up (back and front), sometimes not. The power light ont he front is the usual aqua but the health light was red. When it powers up for the longer amount of time, you can hear the drives going it that means anything.

Does it sound to you like the PSU or something more "final"? I don't really want to go thru the hassle and expense or ordering a new PSU if someone more "in the know" thinks it might be something else.

As far as getting a new PSU, I've been looking at ones that way they are compatible with the entire Mediasmart line but the cables look wrong. The 490 PSU has 3 connectors and these others have more and different ones. do you know which one is the "safest" bet?

Thanks for listening.
Grant

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm 

Wow that's a real bummer. Electrical components when then burn up give off an awful odor. Since you opened up the PSU you would of noticed how tightly pack it was and that there was probably some plastic insulation along the sides and that if not properly assembled you may have caused a short to occur with the PSU which could cause a malfunction with it. It could be a partial failure which appears to be the case or a full failure which does not appear to be the case.

I would carefully inspect the motherboard for physical signs of a burn and you will need a magnifying glass to examine the small surface mount components because if they burned up you will be able to tell but inspect both sides of the motherboard and take great care to discharge any static from your body when handling the motherboard.

I would also open up the PSU and inspect for burns there too and its my guess the issue would be the PSU. This puts you in a rock and a hard place because there is really only one company which sells a direct replacement PSU and that is Overtek LTD in the UK. Now there are others who do sell what they call direct replacement PSUs which have the correct wiring for the HP MSS but they also have all the other cables that simply make it difficult to install. The PSU's from Overtek have the extra cables removed and properly terminated so the PSU fits perfectly. You could also pic up a SFF Flex PSU and rewire and terminate the extra cables so that it will work but for a few dollars more you can get one from Overtek LTD that's done properly.

Like most MSS owners with only 1 server it puts you in a bad way because if you buy the PSU and it turns out to be the motherboard then your out the funds for the PSU but honestly most of the broken MSS units I have purchased have for the most part had failed PSU's. The other thing worth noting is that even though the fan spun up and lets say you even test the voltages and lets say they were proper this does not mean the PSU is 100% functional because the true test is when it gets put under a load and that's when the PSU will shut down or act funny.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I really wanted to fix my media server but I lost that battle. I am now running a GL110 HP server with ESXi server. I now run my media server windows 2011 as a virtual machine on a hardware RAID10 16GB Quad core Xeon processor box.

here is the story on my media server.
1. I bought a power supply from amazon.
2. Had to order tools to extract the molex pins to rearrange it.
3. Had to order tools to extract the molex pins to rearrange it because the first set I bought didn't fit.
4. I bought a DMM for 10 bucks to measure the voltage to make sure it is all good after I rearrange the pins.
5. Everything checks out, voltages and pin locations. I assemble the machine with the new PSU including the VGA card and I power the thing on. I hear the PSU working, it was a good sign, I see the front panel lights go on, everything seems to be working except no video. I power the thing off from with the power button and it wouldn't turn off. I unplug it and then plug it back in then power it on again. Exact same symptom. I unplug it again and connected the cord back, power it on then nothing happens, no PSU fan.

I'm thinking either the motherboard or the processor is fried and possibly fried the other parts including the old/new PSU. I'm a sad panda because I really wanted to rescue my media server but happy about the new ML110 G7 and running a few machines on the same host including CentOS/Windows 2011/Windows 2008. What sucks now is that my videos can't be played on iphone/android because of some silverlight software required and can't install on the handhelds. I am not sure but I think it worked on the media server using Twonka.

Maybe one day i'll buy another PSU and processor for my media server but that's when I get the urges to waste more cash just to get that chance to check if my processor was the culprit that started all this.

I hope you have much better luck with your media server.

I wanted to add that the last thing I did was I turned on the 2nd core setting in the BIOS when all this started. After the 2nd core was turned on I was never able to power the thing back on again.

Thanks