It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 am 

Hi guys,

First post and wanted to know if anyone has experienced this behavior before and know of a fix. Whenever I plug in an external drive via USB or eSata, my EX490 will reboot. The event viewer doesn't show anything that I can see that is indicative of the root cause. I have used multiple different external drives/flash devices and all do the same. I didn't have a problem with this before until about a month ago. Everything is stock from the factory and has not been upgraded. Please advise

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Even though hot swap should work.
Personally I refrain from such use .
But anyway I would suspect the usual (bad drive) somewhere.
Or a corrupted OS.
Could be your boot drive.
My 2 cents.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hi slickman welcome to the forums.

What you describe is not normal. Could you make a Remote Desktop Connection so you can see the Servers Desktop. Then connect a USB or eSATA device while monitoring the desktop to see if the server posts a message like loading drivers and I am curious if the driver load requires a reboot for them to take affect.

The other thing is if the device is left connected during the reboot what happens? Does the server reboot again and again or does it boot and allow access to the connected device?

Some external devices like drives which have a partition with a backup utility could be causing a conflict with the server but this would not be for all devices. I know some WD External Drives when left connected will cause issues because of the embedded software but not a reboot.

The other thing is if you connect them to a client what messages appear on the client if any?

Last thing to help me better understand this issue can you list the devices your having difficulty with. Please include the Device Make, Model, Capacity and connectivity options? Also please note some external drives require 2 USB Connections one for data the other for power if they do not have their own power connection. I would be curious about the power consumption of the devices but if the issue occurs with USB Flash Drives then that's another issue. If you were connected to the Console and were looking at the health monitor you may be able to see changes in the voltage status before the reboot occurred.

These are all the things I would be looking at and which first come to mind. You also mention that this issue first started a month ago and I am curious what changes, updates, ADD-INs might of been installed that you might recall. Even the smallest of details is helpful.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm 

Thanks for the reply Comp1962. Please see my replies in red

Comp1962 wrote:
Hi slickman welcome to the forums.

What you describe is not normal. Could you make a Remote Desktop Connection so you can see the Servers Desktop. Then connect a USB or eSATA device while monitoring the desktop to see if the server posts a message like loading drivers and I am curious if the driver load requires a reboot for them to take affect.

I can RDP to the server desktop fine. While connected and plugging in an external device, I can see the new drive show up under "My Computer" however that is as far as it gets as the session will lock up while the server reboots. No message shows on the screen

The other thing is if the device is left connected during the reboot what happens? Does the server reboot again and again or does it boot and allow access to the connected device?

If the device is left connected, it will not boot up at all. The server just blinks red on the server indicator light. Once the device is unplugged, it will boot up fine.

Some external devices like drives which have a partition with a backup utility could be causing a conflict with the server but this would not be for all devices. I know some WD External Drives when left connected will cause issues because of the embedded software but not a reboot.

All drives have been completed formatted so no third party application are installed on the devices

The other thing is if you connect them to a client what messages appear on the client if any?

Connecting the external devices to any client devices show up just fine, no failures occur

Last thing to help me better understand this issue can you list the devices your having difficulty with. Please include the Device Make, Model, Capacity and connectivity options? Also please note some external drives require 2 USB Connections one for data the other for power if they do not have their own power connection. I would be curious about the power consumption of the devices but if the issue occurs with USB Flash Drives then that's another issue. If you were connected to the Console and were looking at the health monitor you may be able to see changes in the voltage status before the reboot occurred.

The drives I have connected have been the following:
1. Centon USB Waterproof flash drive - 2GB - USB 2.0
2. Sandisk Slide USB drive - 32GB - USB 2.0
3. Western Digital My Passport external drive - 750GB - USB 3.0
4. Crucial M4 SSD 2.5" - 128GB - USB 2.0
5. Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - 250GB 3.5" drive - connected via dock USB and eSata
6. Western Digital Green 1TB 3.5" drive - connected via dock USB and eSata

Tried all USB ports (one front port and 3 back ports) with the same results. The WD and Crucial M4 external drives are attached a single USB cable, they are not the split style that requires extra power. The desktop drives connected via dock have their own power supply

These are all the things I would be looking at and which first come to mind. You also mention that this issue first started a month ago and I am curious what changes, updates, ADD-INs might of been installed that you might recall. Even the smallest of details is helpful.

No other add-ins have been installed recently. The only add-ins are the ones I initially installed which was about 1.5 years ago and since than it has been running without issue. No hardware upgrades have been performed and has all stock parts from the factory since day one. Only Microsoft updates have been installed on the server to date.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm 

The health light blinking red offers a clue. If you can replicate this condition then press the Status/Recovery Button with a small paper clip then you will get a blink code:

2 Aqua White - 1 Red: BIOS is corrupted

2 Aqua White - 2 Red: Memory Failure

2 Aqua White - 3 Red: BIOS Recovery Source Not Present

If you can check this out I am curious if your Memory is the issue. I would think if the BIOS were the issue you would be posting something different but the memory makes sense to me.

Good Luck and let me know what you find.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:00 pm 

One other thing is that there could also be an issue with your PSU which may not be able to provide enough power to the server but lets rule out the memory issue first.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks