It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Windows 8 on ex495?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm having a difficult time installing and connecting to Windows 8 on my ex495. For some strange reason, when I try to install via a bootable USB (tried with 3 different sticks, on all USB ports, with only one formatted hdd in the lower slot) but the server does not seem to be capable of booting from my usb from some reason).

When I tried WHS2011, I used a workaround on my ex495, which was to install the OS on another PC and plug the hdd in the ex495 after the first reboot. I thought I'd try the same for Windows 8, so I installed the OS on another PC again, made sure the installation has completed, enable Remote Desktop incoming connections and removed the disk. The problem is that when I insert it on the ex495, the server seems to boot from the disk, but I am unable to connect to the ex495 using Remote Desktop. I can't even ping the server although I know it's DHCP assigned IP address by using a network scanner which detects the server just fine! The icing on the cake is that if I remove the drive from the ex495 and plug it on the PC I used to install the W8 originally, I am able to connect remotely via RDP. So what is the difference here? Ex495-specific drivers maybe that are needed via Windows update? I can't understand it...

Obviously I don't have a VGA board in order to log in locally, so any help would be greatly appreciated... If it helps, the aqua status lights on the server are steady on for power and network, flashing aqua for health.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8 on ex495?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I got it; it turns out when Windows detects a new network it does not automatically allow remote access. I installed the hdd back to the original PC I set it up, I disabled the firewall, and manually entered the IP configuration of the target ex495 network setup. I then inserted the disk on the HP server and lo and behold, Remote Desktop is now allowing me to connect. Re-enabled firewall and job is done! Just posting this to save someone else the headache.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cutter for this post
EricE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm 

This will help me hoping the windows server 2012 essentails install works similar to windows 8? but when you install it on another pc doesnt windows 8 install the drivers for the valid components it detects? Please let me know how is the performace of you're windows 8 install...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

universal9gsm wrote:
This will help me hoping the windows server 2012 essentails install works similar to windows 8? but when you install it on another pc doesnt windows 8 install the drivers for the valid components it detects? Please let me know how is the performace of you're windows 8 install...

It should work the same. The only difference between Windows7 and Windows8 seems to be the firewall automatically blocks with Win8 - I'd imagine that would carry over to any new server 2012 products as well. Disable the firewall as cutter outlined before you go to install the hard drive in your MediaSmart and you should be good to go.

Thanks