It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 pm
Posts: 170
Location: ontario Canada
Thanks: 20
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
Hey everybody, I have two quick questions about my ex490. I have taken it apart today following the guide and I accidently didn't notice that the two fan connectors(toward the top of the case) have labels on them. I didn't note down if #1 went to the left or #2 went to the left...they both seem to be able to plug in without any issues. Does anybody know if connector number #1 should be on the left or right side?

Also, yesterday I hooked up my ex490 to the internet, downloaded the 28 updates that it had and shut it down. Today, after installing my Patriot 4GB memory stick, I connected via RDP and noticed that under SYSTEM it detects 3.99GB memory...was this some sort of fix? since WHS is a 32bit os, I am guessing Microsoft modified it to allow it to read the full 4gb of memory?

About the two screws that hold the motherboard/tray to the housing(silver looking screws), one of mine I have seemed to stripped lightly. They seem to look like standard hard drive screws, has anybody ran into this user fault like myself?

thanks guys!

_________________
EX 490 with 4GB of memory, E8400 and 8TB of drives.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:10 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 pm
Posts: 123
Thanks: 12
Thanked: 8 times in 8 posts
Looking from the front of the case, fan connector 2 is on the left (closest to the side of the case) and 1 on the right (closest to the LED connector). The first time I disassembled my EX495, I used a sharpie marker and put dots on the mating backplane connectors so I wouldn't get mixed up.

_________________
Follow Me On Twitter: ThatGeekGuy
Tech News, Great Buys, Reviews & More....


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mikemcm1956 for this post
mr.rhtuner
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
Max Contributor
Max Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 am
Posts: 1316
Thanks: 5
Thanked: 170 times in 168 posts
Also if you did not clip off the tywraps on the wiring you will notice that one lead is a little longer.
Looking from the front of the case. so the shorter one is on the left and the longer one is on the right.

_________________
EX-490
WHS v1
VGA/PS2 Keyboard/PS2 Mouse/Serial debug board
Q9450s CPU
Stock Ram
ESATA Sansdigital Towerraid TR5M-B
Popcorn C-200
Popcorn A-200
Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
mr.rhtuner
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:33 am
Posts: 195
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts
mr.rhtuner wrote:
Also, yesterday I hooked up my ex490 to the internet, downloaded the 28 updates that it had and shut it down. Today, after installing my Patriot 4GB memory stick, I connected via RDP and noticed that under SYSTEM it detects 3.99GB memory...was this some sort of fix? since WHS is a 32bit os, I am guessing Microsoft modified it to allow it to read the full 4gb of memory?


The 32bit server editions of Windows do not have the same limitations with memory as the desktop versions of Windows. While subtle, the kernels are different.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank EricE for this post
mr.rhtuner
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 am 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 pm
Posts: 170
Location: ontario Canada
Thanks: 20
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
EricE wrote:
mr.rhtuner wrote:
Also, yesterday I hooked up my ex490 to the internet, downloaded the 28 updates that it had and shut it down. Today, after installing my Patriot 4GB memory stick, I connected via RDP and noticed that under SYSTEM it detects 3.99GB memory...was this some sort of fix? since WHS is a 32bit os, I am guessing Microsoft modified it to allow it to read the full 4gb of memory?


The 32bit server editions of Windows do not have the same limitations with memory as the desktop versions of Windows. While subtle, the kernels are different.



Thank you everybody for the response's.

I will fix the fan cables later. I used a spare HDD screw to replace the stripped screw that I have on my case. I'm glad that the server 32bit version does not have the memory limitation as opposed to the desktop versions of Windows. Good to hear!

_________________
EX 490 with 4GB of memory, E8400 and 8TB of drives.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:33 am
Posts: 195
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts
mr.rhtuner wrote:
I'm glad that the server 32bit version does not have the memory limitation as opposed to the desktop versions of Windows. Good to hear!


Your welcome and yes, it's a nice feature. I looked for this last night but had better luck tonight - a very hand reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 78(v=vs.85).aspx


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group