It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All,

I've purchased e8400 for ex490 and 4gb memory and currently waiting on delivery.

I would like to know before hand if I need to do anything with the BIOS setup/settings or will simply rebooting the server recognize the new CPU (after CPU and memory has been installed that is :lol: )?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:23 am 
Founder
Founder

A search and this forum topic will turn up the answer. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5512

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
A search and this forum topic will turn up the answer. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5512

that thread is like 26 pages long :chicken:

I found my answer, although a bit vague in terms of which processor they tried, but feeling a lot more confident and would safely say no BIOS intervention would be required for e8400 CPU upgrade on the ex490...

Attachments:
File comment: thread comment
bioscomment.JPG
bioscomment.JPG [ 102.91 KiB | Viewed 16986 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 am 

Worked fine 4 me on my EX490 wo any BIOS-fiddling.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

CPU landed today - took roughly 30 minutes to install it - so much more resposiveness now... amazing how easy it was, just had to know to push on the clip while dragging the top of the mediaserver case cover, the rest was easy peezey... i can't beleive HP dropped this product???

Now just waiting for the memory to arrive...

:encore:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

JiboJones wrote:
CPU landed today - took roughly 30 minutes to install it - so much more resposiveness now... amazing how easy it was, just had to know to push on the clip while dragging the top of the mediaserver case cover, the rest was easy peezey... i can't beleive HP dropped this product???

yeah let me know if the ram works.. I upgraded mine and the damn thing doesnt boot up and the ram is NEW!... I might have to just take apart the whole thing again and toss in the old ram :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

elusion wrote:
JiboJones wrote:

yeah let me know if the ram works.. I upgraded mine and the damn thing doesnt boot up and the ram is NEW!... I might have to just take apart the whole thing again and toss in the old ram :(

bugga - thats tough! maybe dodgey ram, does it come back up if you place the original ram back?

Drive Bender is having a problem, though after the CPU replacement/upgrade - the license is associated with the CPU ID so need some sort of migrating license key - have logged a call with Drive Bender Control-M hopefully they won't take too long to reply with solution,...

Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

bugga - thats tough! maybe dodgey ram, does it come back up if you place the original ram back?

Drive Bender is having a problem, though after the CPU replacement/upgrade - the license is associated with the CPU ID so need some sort of migrating license key - have logged a call with Drive Bender Control-M hopefully they won't take too long to reply with solution,...

Jim[/quote]

yeah im back using the stock 2gb ram... now i could complain to patriot regarding the ram, which I will do.. but what if this repeats itself?. brand new ram unboxed and tossed in the server with red health light :(... I might have to throw more money in and buy a silly cable just to see the error message. Whats even sadder is that the hp proliants are under $200 and have a built in vga!!! pretty much makes me remorse every penny i ever dumped into this stupid ex490. well for now im just getting my data off the device and gonna wipe it and install some other os, to see if thats going to resolve my hate relationship with the stock whs os with driveless extender, Sorry if I sound pissed off and whiny. but Ive lost over 2tb of data due to drive extender not doing its "proposed job" corrupted files lol :(. sigh, whats drive bender? excuse my noobness

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I don't think you have lost any data (unless you've formatted the drives), you can simply connect your drive(s) to another PC and access the data from the other PC, you should be able to boot from the boot disk too from on another PC,..

Hope it turns out ok for you, I'm happy so far with the ex490, nice little device and noiseless, and probably more efficient than most PC's...

Drive Bender is sort of replacement Disk Extender, in WHS 2011, the Drive Extender was removed and Drive Bender is a 3rd party product that fills this gap. I feel relatively comfortable with Drive Bender, its very neat and balances the duplicated files across the drives,...

Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

elusion wrote:

yeah im back using the stock 2gb ram...

elusion,

My memory has just landed and installed it, works as expected... It has improved ocerall system performance by a huge amount...

I bought the ram from ebay:
4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHZ 240-PIN DESKTOP MEMORY RAM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220851885582

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:20 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

JiboJones wrote:
elusion wrote:

yeah im back using the stock 2gb ram...

elusion,

My memory has just landed and installed it, works as expected... It has improved ocerall system performance by a huge amount...

I bought the ram from ebay:
4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHZ 240-PIN DESKTOP MEMORY RAM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220851885582

That seems sort of a high price for no-name memory. I myself am looking for the 4gb stick and Patriot seems to be in the 75.xx mark.
have you performed memtest86+ to see how the memory is? if there are any errors?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am 

So I've upgraded the CPU of My ex490 to the E8400

A little worried, according to SiW, temperature ranging from 49c to 66c

Seems a little high. Any advice on how to get these lower? Do I need to try another CPU, too much thermal paste perhaps?

How much thermal paste did you folks put on the CPU out of curiosity and what temperatures are you getting?

Any help / comments greatly appreciated :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you used say arctic silver it is a vertical line and the instructions are at:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth ... e_v1.1.pdf

Then you need a breakin period meaning heat up and cool down cycles as noted n the instructions.
49c seems okay but a little high but not 66c. I would make sure all the fans are working.
other action would be to buy the debug board and play with the bios settings for fan speed.
But as far as I can tell the bios settings only impact the hd fans not the psu/cpu fans but it still helps draw more air across the heat sink.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks