It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: remove hpmss from ex490?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is it possible to use ex 490 without the Hp software? That is only running windos and using it as external disk. any ideas how to do?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

It's a computer, not an attached storage device, so no, you can't use it just as an external disk. It is possible to install another operating system if that's what you would like to do.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have concidered also to instal linux, but tought to find out if there is some aesier ways. The reason for this Idea was that I noticed that the backup software takes about 50% of the processor power and the processor runs almost on full power all the time. This happened when I was copying large amount of data on a user folder in ex490. The speed was about 7MB/s with 1Gb network. I assumed the processor was the limiting factor. Same data was copied from Vista machine to iMac with 70MB/s. I use Ex490 only for backup.
So basicly all I need is to be able to copy files to ex490. So I am hoping to get some tips which parts of the Sw can be removed without destroying the whole system.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

That doesn't sound like normal behavior. Sounds more like you have a problem with your server, possibly due to advanced format drives or a failing drive. I'd install the Home Server SMART Add-In to check drive health, and review this article on Advanced Format drives.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12 ... me-server/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank's, for your help. The SMART add-in is great. The disks are OK, and all four are of 512kb type. After running some file copy tests and noting the speed of network adapter to stay 100Mbit/s, I followed the cables and found that The WHS was connected to the modem and not to the 8 port Giga switch. Correcting this error gave me a copy speed about 20MB/s. I am using folder duplication.

ps.
After some more reading (mostly on this forum) I decided to stop the hpmssservice. The file copy speed raised to acceptable level of 50MB/s when copying from the Vista computer to WHS. The processor is now running 0-16% when there is no activity on WHS (used to be 70-100%).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm 
Founder
Founder

Have you reviewed this? http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03 ... 0-patch-2/

Thanks