It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:55 am 

hi all im new to this site so hello all im on here as i have just got a ex490 and i dont know anything about it the ex490 was got off a local site second hand it come with 3 cds 2 cables and the ex490 it had no hard drives in it so for now im puting in 3 1tb drives as i have them spare now thin thing is i dont know how to set it up at all and would like a bit of help so if any one can help than thank you

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 am 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the site. Did it come with any documentation? If so you should definitely start there, and if not HP has it online here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... r1002_usen

Basically you'll want to put your drives in the server (make sure they have nothing on them that you want to keep as they will be erased), and then follow the steps for a Factory Reset to lay down a clean OS. It walks you through the entire process.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:10 pm 

thank you i did the above but when it comes to connector setup it cant find server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:12 pm 

You will need to perfom a Server Recovery selecting a Factory Installation to install a fresh copy of WHS onto the server. I belive the EX490 requires you to directly connect the server to a PC aka Client to perform the installation. From there the connector software will be installed on the PC you used to install WHS on the EX490.

Once the installation is done then you will need to configure the server for your specific needs this will involve giving the server a name, setting a server password and a few other things. When the initial setup is complete you will be able to install the connector software on other computers which will provide them access to the server and to begin the process of allowing those computers to be backed up by the server. Other things that you will need to setup are user accounts and what they will have access to and to configure remote access which will make your server accessable via the internet.

These are just the basics which get you started. If you browse through the site you will find a wealth of information about your server and its many uses. As you will soon find having an MSS opens up a window of many possibilities some provided by HP and other provided by 3rd parties.

As you explore the site I do believe you will find many here who are willing to share their experiences, help when help is requested and as you explore the site you will find tons of uses for your server so explore the possibilities and enjoy because having a Home Server is a wonderful thing. Many like myself have started with an MSS and have built their own servers to accomodate their growning needs. While I continue to run HP EX470's I have also built my own servers to better handle things the EX470's could not do well but I have a fondness for the EX470 so I continue to run them both onsite and offsite.

If you should find yourself in need of help please do not hesitate to ask and I am certain someone will help you through your issues.

Good Luck and welcome to the site its good to have you onboard.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm 

still no luck got a new toy and cant play all i get now is 3 out of 4 error
i am useing windows 7 ultimate is there any way of instaling it it all on to hard drive from my comp as i have an alien ware area 51 pc and got easy swap drive bay on side

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

Lots of tips on getting server recovery to complete in this forum topic, it contains any tips we'd be able to give you: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6307

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 am 

could someone tell me what it means when health light flashes 2aqua the 3 red

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Founder
Founder

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... rror_Codes

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm 

got it all working after weeks of crap i ended up trying a 250 gig wd laptop hard drive i had spare and it worked first time with that now im getting that server connection update message

Thanks