Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:47 pm 

So, here's the story...

HP MediaSmart Server EX495, with drive setup as:
Drive1: 2TB WD Caviar Black drive for System
Drive2: 2TB WD Caviar Green drives for Data
Drive3: 2TB WD Caviar Green drives for Data
Drive4: Seagate 1.5TB for backups.

Appearantly, the OS drive failed (drive1). Recieved a new replacement for Drive1 from WD. Installed new drive & attempted to do a system recovery, which said all was OK. When I finally get to login to the server, I find that the OS was now installed onto the data drive2. And drives 2 & 3 are now automatically added as storage drives! What the heck!

So, If I understand correctly, in one quick fail swoop, I have now lost not only the securely duplicated folders I had on drives 2 & 3, but now the OS install idiotically added the backup drive as a storage drive and most likely wiping it out as well! Am I missing something? I am an IT director and software engineer. I repaired the system using the exact instructions provided in the HP user manual. Why in the heck would the repair of an OS automatically wipeout the data on other drives and add them automatically without even a prompt or request from the user? This would have to be the most poorly thought out approach, if that is indeed what it did.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to proceed from here?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't think it is possible to install the os in other than bay 1.
Look a little closer at the details for each drive.
I had recently replaced the cpu and two drives on my ex-490.
And the list in the whs console is out of order now but the listed drive bay is correct.
It used to be in order starting with bay 1 system drive,bay 2,bay3,etc
Meaning starting from the top line now I have.
storage bay 3
storage bay 4
system bay 1
storage bay 2

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Brian C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:33 pm 

Ruben,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I understand what has happened...

I installled the new drive to replace the bad system drive in bay 1. Only the new replacement drive was also defective. (I did not know it) So when I did a system recovery, it installed it onto one of my data drives in bay 2. (I did not know it would do this.) Since this was a data drive and now automatically converted to a system drive, the OS must have thought it was a new system. So it decided to reformat all the other drives as data drives and start over.

What sucks is that this means I have lost ALL of my data, including the drive I used for my backups, since it too has now been added as a data drive.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard an OS do. Why would it assume that you would want to automatically delete data and convert drives? All it had to do was to give the user the option of what to do with the drives. Not too hard. All in all, this sucks!

Anyone else have any brillant ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay that kinda starts to make sense.
So if it were me.
I would yank each drive out and connect it to my desktop one at a time and see if you have any data to recover.
You may need to enable view hidden files.
Also that means you will need a space to copy them to.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Brian C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

To my knowledge it is not possible for the system to install the OS on a drive other than the one in the bottom slot. At this point I think your best bet is to try and recover as much of your data as you can, here's a guide: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w ... 573697777f

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Brian C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 pm 

I have had the exact same problem with my Ex495.

It would seem that the WD 2TB Black drives are now being shipped with Advanced Format technology - which means that (without various work arounds) they will not work with the older operating system (as is used in WHS v.1).

On my recovery the drive in the second bay has been used for the OS (A 1TB Samsung). So, clearly WHS will load onto the drive sitting in the second bay.

The WD 2TB Black Drive was not recognised at all. To use this as a pool drive, I have put a jumper on pins 7 and 8.

I keep my date not only on the WHS, but also on an old school network drive and a cloud drive. As such, this has not proved to be the end of the world.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Glovner for this post
Brian C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

:shock: Talk about timing... I am very literally about a week away from trying this exact thing with my 495 (system drive is throwing SMART errors) and a new WD Black 2TB is precisely what I was planning on using for it. Are the new WD Black "Advanced Format" drives jumper-able like the green drives, or are they basically unusable with WHS v1?

What happens if one removes the 2nd disk (I only have 2), then does the a recovery, then puts the 2nd drive back in afterwards? Would that get one safely back to where they were before, while protecting from this scenario, or would that reset everything?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

If you do the recovery without the data drive(s) in they wont be rebuilt into the pool. Your data will be intact but you would need to copy them back to the server. You need the disks in when you do the recovery, just be sure to jumper the drives as per the instructions ( believe the post above is correct and it is 7 and 8 for the blacks)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 pm 

So the saga continues...
I now have a new Caviar Black 1.5TB to replace the previous bad replacement sent from WD. The advanced teir tech was insistant that NONE of the Caviar black drives are Advanced Format. He said the greens and blues are, but the blacks have never been. Who knows who is correct at this point.

Bottom line is that I am going to have to resetup the server one way or another. So here is my new crossroad: do I setup WHS version1 or the new 2011? If I setup as version1, I will keep the benifit of the automatic data (folder) duplication feature. But, I am still stuck with no way to backup the system drive in case of future failure. Also, Acronis Backup is not compatible with version1, so no great way to automate backups.

If I go to 2011, I loose data duplication of any kind. I also loose support from HP, but I think that has been dropped already anyways. But, if I understand correctly, I will gain a newer OS. And gain the ability to backup both the system drive and the data drives using an automated backup program.

Anyone have any suggestions if I should go for WHS 2011??

My system is a stock EX495 with (1) 1.5TB Caviar Black, (2) 2.0TB Caviar Green, (1) 1.5TB Seagate. Would I need to upgrade the RAM?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Go WHS 2011 and pick either drive pool or drive bender.

Install on a new system drive. Easiest way is to do it in your desktop PC - put the drive in as the only drive, boot the WHS 2011 DVD, and install it. Leave the network cable unplugged. When it asks if you want to do updates decline them. Do 'em later. Always do 'em later - no matter the MS Operating System. Decline to activate WHS too. Once WHS is fully up and it boots clean on your desktop, shut it down and put the system drive in your EX490 and it should boot just fine. RDP into it, verify it's up and then activate it and let it update. It will probably take a few restarts.

Once it's up, set up a new drive pool. I used Drive Extender. Set the pool up with a drive not related to your WHS 1 install - the D: partition on your new system drive would be perfect. Once the pool is set up, *migrate* one of your WHS 1 drives into it. From there it's just a matter of moving files out of the WHS v1 drive extender folders into your server folders. If you use one of the DE replacements, it's literally moving the files - not copying them. Migrate your WHS 1 drives into the pool one by one until you have all your drives online and your files consolidated. That's it!

I've posted in detail for how I did my WHS 2011 install and recently about my Drive Extender experience. It's really not that bad and WHS, especially free of the proprietary HP crap, is much much nicer than WHS v1. I'm very happy with it - all but the server backup. Among other things the server backup in WHS 2011 does not back up partitions over 2TB so my 3TB drives are out - no loss, the WHS 2011 server backup has so many other limitations I back up my files with other methods.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank EricE for this post
Brian C