It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm 

So... my EX495 will boot... and I can RDP in just fine...

But at some random time usually within 15 minutes, the health light turns solid red.

When I grab the code it's 1 aqua, 4 red (server recovery failed)

Why is my server even entering recovery without my intervention?

The only thing that seems consistent is I get an error in the application log:

HPModuleService
RunnableTypes(ServerTourAddIn.dll)
Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException

thoughts? anyone run into this before? Do I *have* to do a restore? It's a pain in the ass to do, so I'd rather not.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 pm 

I installed the SMART add-in and the system drive is failing...

I have 2 extra data drives installed...

What's the process for re-installing WHS and recovering my data? I have folder duplication on everything important...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Just replace the system drive, and do a server recovery
Once done, you need to add your users and any other customisations you have done to the server (Add-Ins etc)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:44 pm 

I got the new drive in the mail today....

So pull old sys drive, install new one.

Do sys recovery.

Will this restore the data on the two additional drives as well?

It would suck to lose it :/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm 

@orb360 Doing a full recovery on my ex495 (with 1-1Tb system drive and 3 2-Tb drives).

Sure as heck hope there is data left....wish me luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am trying to do a Factory Reset of my EX-495 to prepare it for sale. I simply can't do it. I've read for HOURS on here and other forums and I can't get thru the drill. I never get anything but blue blinking led on the server and I cannot enter Recovery Mode, it just boots up.

To review,
cabled direct to a client pc
No AV installed on PC, Windows firewall turned OFF
start the recovery program from the disk, click thru to the green bar
try to get the server in recovery mode, can't do it
I do see an IP address for both the server and PC in the TFTP program and it fails on step 2 of 4
IPs are 169.37.37.37 and .38, as documented

I can't figure out the USB method, can't find the files.

Do I need to wipe the system drive in another computer, or start with a clean drive for this to work? I can't just start with the system drive and another in there that are working now and get thru this?

I tried pulling all the drives and booting the server as I'd read somewhere that this would automatically get it in recovery mode so I could witness the led sequence. I get nothing but a blinking blue led next to the reset hole, nothing else ever happens.

So, can someone point me to someplace that I might have missed for instructions in how to do this? I guess, seeing as I AM trying to start anew (I have a WHS2011 box up and running) in preperation for selling/giving away, I can just pull the system drive, wipe it and format it in another computer, and try again.

There's NO WAY this should be this hard, I literally spent 5 hours reading forums and trying and retrying. Sheesh.

Tom

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Replying to self mostly so future wayfarers searching for how to do a restore on an EX49x may see this.

The solution for me was a clean non-formated drive. AND, and here's the key for me, I have a GenII keyboard/mouse/video board on this EX495 and watching it boot and being able to monitor the progress helped me finally get thru this.

One thing for me, on my server, the blinking red/blue LED never happened, mine only blinked teal color (blue?). Paper clipping it right away, maybe after 3 or 4 blinks, got it started toward recovery mode. I got the Restore running on a client direct cabled to the server first, up to the green progress bar starting, then started and paperclipped the server while watching the server boot on its monitor. You can see the IPs get assigned on the client as this happens, and see that the TFTP is sending to the server. Being able to watch both boxes onscreen makes this much more understandable. Without a monitor on the server, I had no idea what was happening and it just failed with no explanation.

Now, I don't know if I'd tried this with the original, still working, hard drive, and not swapped in a wiped drive with no formatting or anything, would have worked or not and I'm not going to go back and try now that I have it done. I'm just going to sell this EX495 now anyway, so I got it, that's it.

So this can be done, but it's certainly not intuitive, even with all the excellent posts here and around the web on how to do it.

Just my experience!

So if anyone reading this is interested in an EX495, 1TB system drive, cleanly Factory Reset, with a GENIII debug board, all disks, box, setup sheet, a bunch of printed instructions for this reset thing (!), PM me, or email thosj at new dawt rr dawt com, with an offer! I may post it in the classifieds later after it gets all updated and has run for a few days to be sure it's all cool.
Tom

Thanks