It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX490 and WHS 2011
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:21 am 

Hello folks,

I have been a happy user of a EX490 for about 2 years now with no problems. I use it for client PC backups, (2 desktops and 2 laptops), and as a file server. Up until recently I have had no issues. Then the other day I could not connect to it either through the console or RDC unless I did a hard reset on the server. At first I thought I was having an issue with my primary PC as I have other Vista issues that are not germane to this thread.

After reading here about some issues others are having with their MSS, I got mine up and running long enough to install the Home Server Smart add-in and look at the health of the disk. I have not added any more storage and this is the original disk that came with the MSS. I should really say I got a look at how sick my HDD was, over 50 bad sectors, over 50 almost bad, and many uncorrectable errors on the drive.

So I have a couple of WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB drives on order from Newegg and I will replace the drive in the MSS. I have redundant backup of my critical data and files, so all is not lost.

However, I was wondering if it would be worth the expense ($52.99 @ Newegg) for WHS 2011. I am not even sure if WHS 2011 is compatible with my EX490.

If this is something that is doable, are there any “gotchas” or considerations I need to take into account? My gut tells me that going to WHS 2011 would be a good thing, but my gut told me my first three marriages were going to last!

Any help will be most appreciated, and I am in no big rush to do this as will be at least a week, maybe 2 before I get to work on this project. I have no problem reading other threads that have the answers that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX490 and WHS 2011
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 pm 

Sorry, never mind, I have been out of the loop for while and have not kept up with the forum or the news here. It seems to make sense for me to stick with WHS 1 since it does everything I want it to do with no issues, (my only issue is the hard drive dying in the MSS) I think I will leave well enough alone. I have been a tech for almost 40 years at DG, DEC, and now EMC and I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks