It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm 

Previously had drive failures, which resulted in my loosing all of my data on my stock EX495. Have recieved drive replacements and ready to setup server. However, do to loss of data, I will have to do a full system recovery. So here is my new crossroad: do I setup WHS version1 or the new 2011? If I setup as version1, I will keep the benefit of the automatic data (folder) duplication feature. But, I am still stuck with no way to backup the system drive in case of future failure. Also, Acronis Backup is not compatible with version1, so no great way to automate backups.

If I go to 2011, I loose data duplication of any kind. I also loose support from HP, but I think that has been dropped already anyways. But, if I understand correctly, I will gain a newer OS. And gain the ability to backup both the system drive and the data drives using an automated backup program.

Anyone have any suggestions if I should go for WHS 2011??

My system is a stock EX495 with (1) 1.5TB Caviar Black for System/OS, (2) 2.0TB Caviar Green for data, (1) 1.5TB Seagate for backup. Would I need to upgrade the RAM?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 am 
Founder
Founder

There's tons of discussion around the pros and cons of WHS 2011. You are currently posting in the WHS v1 forum, I suggest reading the discussions in the WHS 2011 forum. You don't need to upgrade your RAM, I ran it with stock memory in my guides that I published.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Brian C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Brian, this is a "religious debate" and there are some folks who will remain WHS v1 loyalists and others who were willing to forge ahead onto WHS 2011, with or without Drive Extender. As Alex pointed out, check out the WHS 2011 forums and check out the existing discussions and, if you have questions that aren't answered, put them out there and folks will be happy to field your questions. I've posted my own feelings as well as what I felt were pros and cons of each. Sure, when Microsoft said they were killing DE, many folks were outraged (including me), but there was also a group of folks that said good riddance. Me personally, I think DE should have been a role or feature that could be enabled through Server Manager, but I digress.

If automatic duplication is a requirement for you and RAID isn't your bag (not exactly an easy feat with an EX4xx server anyway), then you could make a strong argument staying with WHS v1. On the other hand, there are two tools that fill the role well...Drive Bender and StableBit DrivePool. I've tested them both, and now I've got Drive Bender running on my EX487 and EX490--the former is the dedicated backup and RA server; the latter is the dedicated media server for streaming. I favor the memory upgrade, though--I kicked both of mine up to 4 GB. Was this mandatory? Maybe, maybe not. If it makes you feel better, by all means go for it. It made me feel better, plus I was able to re-sell the 2 GB DDR2 for a decent price on eBay.

Bear in mind that WHS v1 will go end of life a lot sooner than WHS 2011. Also, fellow member Paul Carvajal did a 5-piece write-up here on installing and configuring Drive Bender. It's a good overview and step-by-step guide. If you're willing to give a third party pooling tool a try, this is an excellent write-up.

BitLocker Drive Encryption sealed the deal for me. WHS v1 provides no data security in terms of encryption, but WHS 2011 contains BitLocker, one of the dearest features of Windows Vista, 7, Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. Fellow forum member Gardian says "fear the cloud." My tagline is "Security - It's everyone's responsibility." There's no excuse for having an un-encrypted home server. :)

:D :D :D Security - It's EVERYONE'S responsibility!!! :D :D :D

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
Brian C