It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I replaced my system drive on a ex490. Drive 0
Using smart I see drive 0 hits 48c and drive 1 hits 42c under load on a regular basis.
On idle drive 0 is 41c.
The original factory system drive was around 38c on idle.
The other two drives are like 35 and 36c. Always
The cpu temp is anywhere from 41 to 46c. I have a q9450s cpu.
The original cpu ran at about 38c.
At first I thought the lower fan died. But I popped the top cover off and see it is spinning.
The whs console reports they are about about the same speed.
1200+- 50 rpm.
Curious thing is I only see the fan speeds increase when the cpu temps are a little high. Not the drive temps.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Could it be that my lower fan is bad even thought it does run?

Or do i need to get the debug cable to figure this out.

FYI,
My new system drive is a WD black WD1002FAEX 1TB.
From what I found it is not a ADF drive so I did nothing special to align the drive.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

That doesn't sound all that hot to me, especially since it's sitting millimeters above a quad core CPU with passive cooling.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That you for the vote of confidence.
But the disparity of temps between drives had me at a concern.
Seems to me that the bottom fan is not performing as reported.
Or at least the bottom fan rpms should increase. By my thought process.
But without a debug cable I have no idea of what set point, triggers the change in rpm to the fans.
Using smart I know I can change the temp alert setting but not by drive bay.
And I also know the spec limit on the drive is 60c.
Also when I see the drive temp increasing and not dropping I have been shutting down the server to cool it off.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The WD black drives run warmer due to their design characteristics (7200RPM motor, no variable speed/intellispeed etc.). In winter mine was generally around 96° F, during the summer it ran around 108° F+. All the other drives (stock system drive and 2 EARS drives) run around 10+ degrees cooler with the exception of one of the drives installed next to the WD black, which ran 5-7° F warmer.

I recently pulled the WD black (750 GIG) out of my server partly due to the temps, and a new system build. I am waiting for prices to come down on HDD's so I can replace it with a 2TB 5400 RPM drive. I was not so worried about the temps of the WD, but I had planned on swapping it out for a "green drive" eventually.

If the temps bother you, remember that the WD black drives are designed for performance, not energy efficiency. You must take into consideration its performance as a system drive and the gains provided by using it as such. If that is important, then a slightly warmer drive should be a fair trade off.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yea, I figure since the temp has not exceeded the 60c spec for the drive then I am okay but am worried that it just may one day.

But one of my questions since I currently don't have access to the bios.

What level or temp device determines the fan speeds on the two fans behind the drives?
Is it the cpu temp or the drive temps?
The whs console always shows like 1200+- 50 rpm.
Even if the cpu pegs at say 49c or the two lower drives get warm.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

When I wrote the Home Server SMART add-in, I based my somewhat arbitrary temperature thresholds for Warm/Hot/Overheated/Critical based on how I've seen HD Sentinel behave. Mind you, the folks at HD Sentinel make one product for a living: HD Sentinel. It is by far the most rock solid disk monitoring program I've ever seen, and it can even monitor drives within several different RAID arrays, including the NVIDIA RAIDs common on Dell XPS computers and Intel RAIDs common on HP desktops, as well as hardware RAIDs on Dell PE2950 servers (I've done this personally).

For some models of disks, temperatures in the 40s don't even turn the temperature bar yellow; for others, temperatures in the low 50s will turn it red, and yet others have to hit 60 before they turn red. My guess is that the HD Sentinel folks have the specs for nearly every disk ever built and can fine tune their results accordingly. I don't have that luxury, as HSS is built by me as a hobby, whereas the HD Sentinel folks built HD Sentinel to bring home the bacon. ;)

That said, I made the temperature controls flexible and leave it up to the individual to decide. While it is true it's not controllable by drive bay, my belief was that folks would figure out what works best for them and configure things accordingly. People will get to "know" their disks and the ranges in which they operate. As long as your disks remain consistent in their behavior, you should be pretty safe. If you have disks popping into the 50s under load, but retreating back into the 40s, you should be pretty safe.

If you find disks running consistently in the mid-to-upper 50s, even when not under load, then you've probably got reason to be concerned. Disks running in the 60s for extended periods is a bad, bad thing. That's really toasty. In general, I don't like to see anything above 55 for longer than an hour or so, which is why I have a fan directed at my 5 x Seagate 2 TB GoFlex Desk external drives. They get pretty toasty, and when they do, I noticed that their "high fly writes" count goes up, indicating the read/write heads are not flying at the correct height, causing the drive to retry write operations. Excess heat can cause the high fly writes to go up.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I was not faulting the smart addin. Just stating that I don't have the ability to select temp thresholds per bay.
It is a great program.
And I will now have it always installed.

I am just trying to figure out the mentality on how the fans are controlled.
And If I am not happy with the process do I need to buy a debug cable to access the bios to change the settings..
As far as the smart addin. I would prefer to leave the default temp settings as they are.
But in my case I have two drives running a little warm. And I would rather bump the fan speeds than make a global change on the smart warning levels.

BTW,
Thank you for developing the add-in and also making it free.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 pm 
Founder
Founder

Fan speeds are controlled by the BIOS, I believe based on CPU temp. There are settings in the BIOS to change the speeds but I've not personally done so other than some brief initial experimentation.

Thanks