It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX490 upgrade specs help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

How many Dimms does the EX490 have? I'm guessing the max RAM it cold use is 4GB. What type of RAM is it? How can i test a CPU to see if a core has gone bad?

I am mainly going to use this server to watch movies, tv shows shows, stream music and pics and backup my docs to it. What CPU to you recommend that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Also should i get rid of the WHS that came stock in the EX490 for WHS2011? If so why?

Thanks for your help in advance

2GB RAM

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 am 

Hi cirrus,

The EX490 only has 1 slot for DDR2-800 RAM. You could install a 4GB Stick but will only be able to utilize like 3.2GB of the RAM.

As for your current CPU you may want to attempt an RMA since its only showing 1 core based on previous posts. I do not have processor to recommend to you but in the forums others have discussed this in great detail and have shared their experiences with different processors and so I do recommend you review whats already been written for a processor change.

As for WHS2011 vs WHS v1 on your EX490 this is really a personal choice. Again this topic is being discusses in the forums and I recommend you review what others have written about it. Personally I would build my own WHS2011 system rather than upgrade an existing MSS but if I were to upgrade an existing MSS I would opt to install a DEBUG Cable to provide full KVM Connectivity. I believe the MSS is best left to run WHS v1 but thats my belief and obviously not shared by others which is why I recommend you review what others have written because they have gone through the blind upgrade.

The one thing I will say about WHS2011 is that if your going to stream meida and do transcoding I would recommend a quad core processor and atleast 4 GB of RAM. While I installed 8 GB in my server it only utilizes about 2 GB of the 8.

Try using the Site Search to explore the questions you have and you will find answers more quickly and information written by those experiencing upgrades so you can learn from those people.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks