It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: CPU Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:53 pm 

Hello

Am investigating the options of upgrading my CPU in my EX490.

Currently looking at

Intel® Celeron® Processor E3400 (1M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) which is £34 or the
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5400 (2M Cache, 2.70 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) which is £54

Having put the specs side by side on the Intel website, all that appears to be different is the 1M Cache and .10 Ghz. Is the E5400 worth the extra £20. I do not do video editting or anything like that. Simply have the server as a server but with 2 1TB disks in it, at the moment the system has periods of sluggishness and also high temps.

Would it also be worth adding a case fan behind the front grill and running the power from the CPU Fan Power on the motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Paul

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: CPU Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 pm 

Hi shippingenthusiast welcome to the forums good to have you here! \:D/

Some have added a case fan in the front of thier MSS and powered it from a fan header in the front corner of the motherboard on the earlier units. I do not know if there is still a fan header there or not on the newer units but if your about to change out the processor then you will see if the header is there or not. There is not alot of room in the front of the MSS to mount a fan but a 60mm should fit nicely without having to cut open the grill as others have done because they chose not to use a low profile fan. If you have a PSU available you could test how the fan would work before trying to retro fit it into your unit to determine what if any bennifit it might provide.

In the mean time you could also just place a small 4" (100mm) household fan in front of the server to inject air in to help keep the temp down until you find a more attractive solution. I tend to keep these types of fans near my servers and enclosures for times when they start to run hot or if the central AC system in the house starts having issues and in the Southeastern part of the US thats a big time to worry about heat issues.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

shippingenthusiast wrote:
Hello

Am investigating the options of upgrading my CPU in my EX490.

Currently looking at

Intel® Celeron® Processor E3400 (1M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) which is £34 or the
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5400 (2M Cache, 2.70 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) which is £54

Having put the specs side by side on the Intel website, all that appears to be different is the 1M Cache and .10 Ghz. Is the E5400 worth the extra £20. I do not do video editting or anything like that. Simply have the server as a server but with 2 1TB disks in it, at the moment the system has periods of sluggishness and also high temps.

Would it also be worth adding a case fan behind the front grill and running the power from the CPU Fan Power on the motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Paul

I'm rock-in the Celeron E3400 and it compares nicley to the Pentium.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.60GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.70GHz

No real did to add any extra fans as the CPU temp stays within range even when video encoding.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 pm 

Just as an update, server has been back up and running now for over half an hour after popping in a E3400.

Why HP did not ship the system with this I have no idea, the system is so much more responsive. Best £34 spent.

Had to reboot the system once in order for both cores to show up.

Thanks for the advice and also thanks to the step-by-step guide for taking the server to bits.

Paul

Thanks