It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:41 am 

Hi all,

I recently bought an HP MediaSmart EX490 for only 10 euro's.
When it arrived the previous owner has "modded" a VGA cable to the motherboard making it look quite bad but functioning perfectly.

I placed 3x a 2TB WD-Black drive in there and 1x a 60GB SSD.
On this I have deployed Debian11 and CasaOS giving it kind of the Synology experience and it is working smoothly.
Loved the experience here so made a small youtube video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhPvdYQfFs

However, I was wondering, have any of you had successful experience running TrueNas on this?
I'm trying to achieve a successful home cloud solution and I'm using TwinGate (free ZTNA solution) to easily and securily connect to it.
I'm currently running 2GB of memory, will upgrade this to 4GB (that's the max as I understood).

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
Daan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:10 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Crazy how these little servers keep on ticking.

Most of us here are using windows because the drivers and the backup solution is baked in. Did you try a search?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:34 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for sharing your video, I've been looking into CasaOS recently so it was fun to see it running on our beloved little server.

I looked into TrueNAS for my EX490 a little while ago, but decided the limit of 4GB non ECC ram would mean I wouldn't really be able to take advantage of many of its features. There are people who do run it on their MSS boxes, I found several posts on the TrueNAS forums from people who reported that it works for them, they were just using it as a basic file server if memory serves though. I subsequently bought a Gen7 MicroServer off eBay for cheap with the intention of using that to have a play with TrueNAS.

For my MSS box, I decided that when the time comes to finally move on from WHS, I probably will try UNRAID. I have created a USB stick and tested booting my 490, which it did and all the hardware was detected without issue. UNRAID is not free, but I think it's a better match for the limited resources of the MSS.

For now though, the quad core Xeon and 4Gb ram stick remain waiting in a drawer, WHS is still good enough for me.

Do please report back if you do go ahead with TrueNAS, would love to hear how you got on.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks