It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 am 

Hi all,

I've been scouring the internet looking for answers to no avail....

I bought an HP Mediasmart Server ex495 at an estate sale, as is, with no software or passwords etc.

I cannot even find a download link to the original included software.

Each bay has a 1.5TB harddrive in it and it boots just fine.

How do i even begin to get into this thing or to reformat it so i can start fresh?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

You'll want to perform a Factory Reset on the server.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _and_EX495

The restore discs aren't available from HP or Microsoft unfortunately but they can be found. I'll shoot you a PM with some suggestions.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
msawyer91
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:14 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Alex for pointing zonksthehero in the right direction. That'll get them up and running.

zonksthehero -- that being said, if you are feeling more ambitious, there are other things you can do with your EX495. The original Windows Home Server (WHS) that runs on the EX4xx servers is no longer supported by Microsoft or HP, so if you're lucky enough to find downloadable images, you may not be able to get the latest updates. Also, since most hard disks available these days are Advanced Format (AF), you'll have to go through an involved process to get them working correctly with WHS. This is because WHS is based on the Windows XP/Server 2003 platform, and the way it partitions disks can cause issues with AF disks. If you have lots of old hard drives on hand, this is a non-issue. But if you're planning to use 2TB and larger disks, chances are they're AF disks.

So what can you do? I've got an EX487, EX490, and EX495, running Windows Server 2019 (yes, you read that right, 2019) on the EX487 and EX490, and Windows 10 on the EX495. Each is set up with a solid state disk (SSD) in the bottom bay (the system drive), with hard drives in the other bays. Each has 4GB of memory.

I have the debug cable attached to each of these servers, so they're no longer "headless" -- I can use a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. However, it is totally possible to install WHS 2011, Server 2012 R2, Server 2016, and Server 2019 in an unattended manner on a headless server, and then access it using Remote Desktop.

Let me know if you'd like to know more -- just wanted to give you some things to consider.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks