It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:43 am 

fulg wrote:
Bare metal restore is a feature of the WHS restore disc, not the target OS... I wonder why HP would say that?

It sounds to me like it's more a problem with the backup than the restore process; Windows 7 uses hardlinks for some of its files, which might not be properly backed up on the server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm 

I just got a tweet saying that PP3 will release on Nov 24. That's good news. I did end up putting PP3 beta on my server. Now I'm curious on the best way to get the release version. I suppose I'll uninstall the beta on the 23rd and wait for Windows Update to install the release version. One thing I'm not certain of though. Should I reinstall the connector on my various boxen after uninstalling the beta or should I wait until the release appears on the server then reinstall the connector.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 pm 

k4gdw wrote:
I just got a tweet saying that PP3 will release on Nov 24. That's good news. I did end up putting PP3 beta on my server. Now I'm curious on the best way to get the release version. I suppose I'll uninstall the beta on the 23rd and wait for Windows Update to install the release version. One thing I'm not certain of though. Should I reinstall the connector on my various boxen after uninstalling the beta or should I wait until the release appears on the server then reinstall the connector.

It will be installed via the Tuesday MS updates. It will be automatic if you have automatic updates enabled. Before installing PP3 RTM, PP3 Beta 1 must be removed manually. Here are the instructions for uninstalling PP3 Beta 1 from MS:

1. Access the Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop
2. Navigate to the Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Beta folder at Start > My Computer > D: > Shares > Software > Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Beta.
3. Run the Uninstall.cmd file to un-install Power Pack 3 Beta. After reboot, your Home Server will revert back to your previous version.
4. Re-install the updated Windows Home Server Connector software on your home computer.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 pm 

Texas-Hansen wrote:
4. Re-install the updated Windows Home Server Connector software on your home computer.

Do I reinstall the connector twice? Once after uninstalling PP3 Beta and again after the release is installed or just after the release is installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm 

k4gdw wrote:
Texas-Hansen wrote:

Do I reinstall the connector twice? Once after uninstalling PP3 Beta and again after the release is installed or just after the release is installed.

My guess is that when PP3 RTM is installed, it will install a new connector on the WHS. Your client PCs will detect the new connector software and display a balloon message coming from the WHS console icon in the system tray and prompt you that a new version is available and to click the balloon to install. That's just my guess from prior experience.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:27 pm 
Founder
Founder

WHS is often able to upgrade the client automatically, too. :whs:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:14 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

A bit of advice, folks...

One of my CLIENT RAID-1 (Mirror) drives for my C-Disk just failed today -- the one that did NOT fail a few months ago). I have an EX475, PP2 and W7 Ultimate. Given the success I have been having with the MSS I had been toying with the thought of doing away with the mirror and using a single drives. Figured I would turn off at least one fan and, in the near future, think about changing the 4x320 GB Raid-5 array to either a single drive (WD 1TB) or a striped RAID with fewer disks.

A bit less noise in the office would be nice, if performance isn't going to be significantly impacted.

Two questions:

(1) Does this make sense? What is your recommendation?

(2) Can I do a bare-metal restore with the current WHS PP2 and W7 or should I wait until next week?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of WHS users are NOT running RAID on their PCs, so your config is the exception. As to the Win7 restore, many people seem to have had no issues, and it can't hurt to try it unless you're planning on overwriting the current drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Actually I DO want to over-write the current drive as it is a 10,000 rpm model! But maybe I'll use an old 500GB temporarily. Or just procrastinate until next week...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2