It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:31 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I installed PP3 Beta last night and the install went great on my Win7 client. See screen shots below. However, I am having trouble getting the Media Connector Setup program runnning on my VMC client (which is where I record TV) and I very much want to test the Media Center functionality of this new Power Pack.

Alex, please let me know if I should not do it this way but I have submitted a bug report on MS Connect for the issue I am having. Below I am linking to the post I made on the MS Communities site. Please let me know if I should not report there and link to that site. Should I post here with the pertinent informaiton instead of linking to MS Communities?

Until Alex lets me know this is the wrong way to do it, please follow the link below for further details of my issue with the Media Center Setup program.

Link to my post on the MS Communities forum:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 8d542b68b3

Link to the Conect bug (475405) I submitted:
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHo ... kID=475405

Screenshot of error I am getting:
Attachment:
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 18 10.41.gif
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 18 10.41.gif [ 23.03 KiB | Viewed 19430 times ]

Anyone else seeing this same bug or am I just doing something incorrectly?
George

P.S. Further Attachments showing some of the feartures of the new PP3 Beta:

Well, I do seem to get anything but a black screen when trying to get screeshots of the Media Center interface using PP3. Sorry about promising and then not delivering. I a very interesting in testing some of the new Media Center functionality. It looks really neat! \:D/

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:44 pm 

A couple things I've noticed that help when you get this error, try rebooting the media center PC. If that doesn't run, try running the WHS Toolkit's Connector Troubleshooter in "advanced" mode ("-a" after the exe). There are a number of issues that will pop up here that prevent the MC setup to fail (like resolve server name failing). Also, make sure you're running the setup program with local admin credentials.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:02 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

drashna wrote:
A couple things I've noticed that help when you get this error, try rebooting the media center PC. If that doesn't run, try running the WHS Toolkit's Connector Troubleshooter in "advanced" mode ("-a" after the exe). There are a number of issues that will pop up here that prevent the MC setup to fail (like resolve server name failing). Also, make sure you're running the setup program with local admin credentials.

Thanks drashna, sounds like some good suggestions. I'll give them a try and report back.
George
P.S. Thanks for doing the X:\files MSS edition. Looking forward to it. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 am 
Founder
Founder

George, definitely make sure MS is aware of any issues you encounter, preferably via Connect bugs. These forums or the MS forums are fine for discussion, and you can link to any other sites you like. I'll make a sticky post with this info in the forums so people understand the intent of the PP3 forums, thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:10 pm 

One thing to try is just open a command prompt on your client PC and try pinging the WHS. Try pinging it first by its hostname (Windows network name) and then by IP (if you know it).

That should at least tell you if the VMC client is not even seeing the WHS on the network at all, which you will troubleshoot differently than if it's just the WHS client software that's not seeing the server.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

mostro wrote:
One thing to try is just open a command prompt on your client PC and try pinging the WHS. Try pinging it first by its hostname (Windows network name) and then by IP (if you know it).

That should at least tell you if the VMC client is not even seeing the WHS on the network at all, which you will troubleshoot differently than if it's just the WHS client software that's not seeing the server.

Thanks for your comments mostro and Welcome to the Forum!!. I'm glad you are here.

FYI, all normal backup, share file access, etc. is working fine so the client definitely knows the server is there and readily "sees" it. It is just a bug in the new PP3 Beta thats causing the problem. MS is working on it via my MS Connect bug.

Note to all: I have put all my PP3 Beta testing on hold for now. I am getting ready for a major (three month long) journey in the motor home, so we are down to doing only necessary things to get ready for this trip.

Thank you all for your support in with this issue. I am sure it will be resolved by the time PP3 and Win7 are released... currently scheduled for late October (22nd as per the present plan. :D )
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:40 pm 

Have a great trip, that sounds like a fun way to get away! :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm getting this error too and I don't have PP3 beta installed. I'll do some more trouble shooting once my Backup is done on the computer I'm running Media Center on. So far looking though the even log comes up dry. So far, I've noticed some... weirdness with Windows 7 not wanting to see my WHS all the time. I have to type it's name into the address bar manually if it doesn't want to show up under the network heading of explorer. I can see all my other PC's on the network just fine. Also twice now it has just dropped the connection to the server while I was copying a large amount of files. Perhaps these are the issues, MS is trying to address with PP3?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:59 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Sorry DustoMan. We are still traveling in our motor home. My server is tuned off for this long trip and I have not done any more testing with PP3. I hope others who have a server available to test with might give you some help. When we get back I will be doing more testing with PP3 but, frankly, that will still be a while yet.

BTW, for others who may be interested in a hour or so I will post in Off Topic where we are and what we are doing now.
George

DustoMan wrote:
I'm getting this error too and I don't have PP3 beta installed. I'll do some more trouble shooting once my Backup is done on the computer I'm running Media Center on. So far looking though the even log comes up dry. So far, I've noticed some... weirdness with Windows 7 not wanting to see my WHS all the time. I have to type it's name into the address bar manually if it doesn't want to show up under the network heading of explorer. I can see all my other PC's on the network just fine. Also twice now it has just dropped the connection to the server while I was copying a large amount of files. Perhaps these are the issues, MS is trying to address with PP3?

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]