It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:31 pm 

I have cakalapati's debug board, which works like a charm. Installed the jumper. Went into BIOS/setup, set the USB CDROM I have attached to it to the top of the boot order, followed by the All USB CDROM item, removed the rest. Upon boot it complains that it found nothing bootable anywhere. Add back the SATA 1 HD below USB CDROM and it will boot off that. When I physically remove the SATA 1 HD it will boot off the CDROM.

What is going on with this thing? This is a computer, isn't it? Do I have to format the HD with WHS before this thing behaves like every other computer I have ever dealt with? Another post warned of horrible things that might happen if you slap a drive onto a computer that has WHS, so wiping the WHS drive might be problematic.

Unrelated, this motherboard has a "System type select jumper" which selects between "Aspire system (default)" and "Altos system". What is an Altos system?

It seems setting it to Altos allows me to boot off the USB CDROM, but the Windows Server 2003 install does not see the 2TB HD attached to it. I'll have to try another HD to see if sees it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:59 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you press "F12", I think that will bring up the boot menu. Try selecting some of the options there. I had to select "USB-ZIP" on my box to boot off a USB key. I did not mess with the BIOS boot disk order.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:46 am 

Well, the WinXP and Win Server installers do not report any hard drive, just the small built-in USB drive. I blame Microsoft for this. However, my friend was able to get Ubuntu 10 to install on the hard drive, and now I am sharing a folder. I created a TrueCrypt container at 42.5 MB/s (AES encryption; my tower was doing other things as well) over a gigabit switch, which doesn't seem bad. My friend thinks that FreeNAS can be installed on the small USB drive; I might give that a try.

Thanks