It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Acer H340 Problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi, i have got one of the Acer H340's Home servers, which im trying to get it working, but im stuggling with it to boot into the restore mode.

I get speradic boots into the restore mode, only after a bios reset and battery removeal i can get it to boot. I have also done the boot USB stick which doesnt work either, i have replaced RAM and HDD isnt an issue.

Im now thinking that i will offer this machine up for spares if there is the need for it?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Acer H340 Problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just bought a H341 refurbished. I tried use the server recovery CD, but get an error when the second part of the installation starts and can't finish the setup. I have tried 3 times, nothing to do still fails. I went ahead and tried to install WHS 2011 but still no luck, can't finish the setup. I got fed up and I finally used the method of starting the installation of WHS 2011 in my desktop and at the first reboot, I turned the computer off and put the HDD in my H341 to continue with installation. All went well and installed properly.

I wanted to setup WHS v1 this weekend in that H341 and it still failed 3 times. Changed RAM, HDD, and still failing. I decided to clear the CMOS, but no jumper (J3 according to service manual). I removed the battery, unplugged the power cord and let it sit for few minutes. I then plug the VGA adapter to have screen and keyboard (thanks Charles! from this site) and boot the server. I got a CMOS mismatch, entered the BIOS and load up setup default and exit the BIOS. Once I rebooted, it entered into recovery mode, so I knew recovery mode was working. Shut it off, removed the jumper for keyboard and mouse to let it install automatically. I just left the monitor connected to see how it was doing the recovery. I inserted the ServerRecovery CD into my desktop computer and started the recovery the usual way by pressing the reset button for a while after starting the server. It went into recovery and I was able to proceed until the end. Recovery was successful for the first time. I presume there was a wrong setting in the BOS preventing the server from a successful recovery. Since it was a refurbished unit, one might have done something wrong in the BIOS setting.

Claude

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:14 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the reply, i did see that in the Bios so i might give that a try, this server is a bit of a mess about as i couldnt get it to work i pruchased a EX490 to replace my EX470. This was going to be for my parents but with all the problems its not going anywhere... My old EX470 will be going to the parents instead...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Chris Sykes wrote:
i did see that in the Bios so i might give that a try

If you did see that, it means you have a monitor connected to the H340. Correct me if I'm wrong... Once you have reset the BIOS, remove the jumper and let it boot without any HDD. If it works properly, you should see it entering the recovery mode. These are fairly good servers. I already had a H340 at the office I bought brand new and installed WHS 2011 and it runs very well. The H341 I just bought was to replace an aging EX470 at home, which also served me very well for almost 4 years. I upgraded the memory to 4 GB in my new server for streaming purposes. Let us know how it turns out with your H340.

Claude

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yep i got a debug cable that came with the EX490 i brought... I will post on how i got on which will be tonight the testing...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Finally figured out my problem after all this time. Have been looking at upgrading my ex490 to server 2012 essentails but needed a server online for backups etc while running essentails. So dug out the old box weight of an acer.

Long story short I managed to turn it on. Run a restore to factory settings and reboot... Oh wait it stopped responding. Turned off got the debug cable hooked up and booted. Loaded windows and halts. Seems to lock up after a few minutes. Proceed to reboot a few times and one of the post fails with pci fail! I'm guessing that the board it buggered.

Is there any UK H34* users looking for spare parts as I'm going to offer out before eBay it out for spares?

Thanks