It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:33 pm 

Hello, I'm still relatively new to these forums. I am starting a DIY WHS server build in conjunction with a new Desktop(gaming/photo+video editing) build.

I posted a thread about the Synology DS1511+ (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9816). At the time I was still debating on going with a Mediasmart setup. With the concerns of vail and the announcements from the end of 2010 I have decided to go the DIY route. I am going to build it with the intention of WHS but will leave open other operating systems.

I will be using parts from my current desktop pc for the server. I am upgrading to sandy bridge when it is released next week.

I have a couple questions. What is the most sensible way to migrate data from a WHS setup to linux or something else most likely raid or unraid? It will probably be very troublesome to move 10tb+ of data to a new system then reinstall everything new on the same hardware so Im looking for any tips.

I am also looking for opinions of the Hardware I will still need to purchase as I am starting that today.

This setup is for streaming media to a couple of HTPC's (wmc+mediabrowser) and an xbox. Itll also host pictures to some frames. Store data for backups and .raw photo backups. I am going to start at around 10tb+ worth of new 2tb drives (wish I could go 3tb). If i stick with WHS ill also be using a bunch of 1/1.5 tb drives that I already have. I need plan on 20tb (all 2tb drives) for this year and expandable for next year.

Hardware being re-used from current PC:

CPU: Intel i7-920 @ 2.66 (currently 3.3 or so with air oc--- going back to stock) (also WHS will just run this in 32bit right?)
[Noctua HSF with some quiet fans]
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (usb 3.0, 1 ESATA backport capable of connecting to 5 drives)
MEM: 3x2gb of Corsair xms 1600 ( i know whs only supports up to 4gb)
Case: Currently Coolermaster stacker (switching to a Norco or similar case most likely ---> just need to figure out room for a rack in my office)
OS Drive: (random 7200rpm sata 2 drive I have lying around, I am just putting a SSD in my desktop now so I need think I want one for my server).

Hardware to be purchased for Server build:

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX (I currently have the same one in this desktop and notice other people on this site using it and I love it. First PSU in a while that caused me no grief.
Case: Norco 4224 (this isn't set in stone yet)
FDD: I'll be harvesting an the Floppy out of my desktop for the install I suppose
ODD: I will get a slim one of these if I go with something like the norco.
GPU: Not sure yet. Since I am starting with WHS Im not sure how the drivers are with something that has HDMI. Either way something cheap.
Controller Cards: NO IDEA! I see a lot of you using Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 type cards.
Cables: Will decide when I pick the case/sata cards

So I have a couple of big questions to ask myself. One is the case which will most likely be a Norco.

The other question is which Controller card will give me the least grief. I need to consider that I may end up using Raid/Unraid in the future and possibly needing linux drivers. This is what I need the most help with. I will obviously look at the cables afterwards.

As for storage I wish I could just get a bunch of the 3tb drives coming out on the market, but with the whole Advanced format thing and WHS support I need to wait on that. I guess Ill save money on that anyway. Like I mentioned above I will just be using 2tb drives.

Ill be looking at ordering the case Soon. And I hope to be able to pick up the SATA cards sooner then later. Hopefully before I build my sandy system and start ocing that.

Any help is appreciated with any of the new Hardware choices. Especially the storage cards. Also opinions on how best to migrate to a different OS if I need to.

Thanks again,
Sol

Last edited by Solipsism on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Solipsism for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:39 pm 

As for the HDD Controller right now i am looking at the areca ARC-1222 PCIe x8 SATA / SAS ($460+ on newegg) as it has support for JBOD and Raid which would mean futureproofing myself for a different OS yet works with WHS. I know its roughly double the cost of 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8's. But I think it would serve the same purpose as 2 of those and run me roughly double. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Just read more and I am not sure the Areca card will support the drives I need it to through the backplanes. Or I am not understanding the backplanes correctly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I have been using Areca ARC-1300IX-16 for over a year now very nice.
Only issue I'v had was unsigned drivers in Server 2008 and win7 but easy enough to overcome.
Performance is good I can stream 5 hd movies at once without stutter.
And I just added a new 3TB drive so under 2008/win7 no problem with advanced format drives.
FYI no good HDMI support under WHS.

Thanks