It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:13 pm 

Hey folks. I found the MSS.net forums a few months ago while poring through Damian's excellent guide to using BluRip. I've been lurking since and thought that I'd post up.

Desiring to go mostly discless (reduce clutter), improve system usability for the family, and feed my inner geek, I began researching ripping and streaming media. I built an AMD quadcore PC to encode video (storage may be cheap these days but it still ain't free) and bought a Dune Base 3.0. I streamed videos off the PC using Zappiti for a few months and life was good, but I knew all along that I was headed for a real server.

Already having most of the necessary hardware, I ordered WHS and a larger case from the Egg and built TREADSTONE. A couple of photos are attached. In the 2nd photo you can see the four storage drives with a meager 7TB of storage with the small system drive above. Pretty lame by some of the standards here but I guess we all have to start somewhere. The server is ripping Master And Commander as I type this, and I can use my desktop for other tasks. Pretty sweet.

So that's my story. I'm looking forward to sticking around and learning a lot more! :cheers:

Attachments:
Front.JPG
Front.JPG [ 235.78 KiB | Viewed 8420 times ]
Side_1.JPG
Side_1.JPG [ 283.71 KiB | Viewed 8420 times ]

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Sheldon J Plankton for this post
dbone1026

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 am 

First off, welcome to the gang here :mss:

Nice build, where did the name come from, Bourne Identity?

I am telling you, this hobby is more addicting then crack (not that I know first hand :-k )

So everything is working smooth streaming from Treadstone to your Dune w/ Zappiti?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Listen to him, about the addiction thing.
Just like Duece Bigalow I'm a man hoe for my system.
Not that my girlfriend complains, she calls the system my mistress. :rofl:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 am 
Founder
Founder

Sheldon J Plankton wrote:
The server is ripping Master And Commander as I type this, and I can use my desktop for other tasks. Pretty sweet.

Welcome! The opening ship battle scene is one of my favorites for surround sound, when you are underneath the deck with the cannons and people are running on the deck above, I always involuntarily look up at my ceiling thinking that people are running around in my house. :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm 

dbone1026 wrote:
Nice build, where did the name come from, Bourne Identity?

Yep, that's it.

dbone1026 wrote:
So everything is working smooth streaming from Treadstone to your Dune w/ Zappiti?

Yes it is.......now. Since you ask, I spent a good two days getting it to work. :oops: The problem was that I had Zappiti installed on the same machine as my video collection. When I would browse to set the sharepath, the location would default to E:\ etc., etc. I tried spoofing it by manually typing the network path, but Windows (or Zappiti) didn't like that presumably because the files were actually on the same PC. And I couldn't figure out how to use the drive letter in the folder and rewrite absolute paths. I tried everything that I could think of, including using a dune_txt. folder to give the drive a name. Nothing worked. I ended up moving Zappiti to another PC on the network so that I could use your example as a template. It worked on the first try. #-o

Chasrobin wrote:
Not that my girlfriend complains, she calls the system my mistress.

Similar situation here. I don't play golf (though I live in central FL), I don't have a boat, and I don't mind watching sports though I certainly don't enjoy betting on them. I enjoy wrenching on my truck, camping with the family, my import beers, and my electronics. So my wife is pretty tolerant. It's a good thing, too. You should see my NewEgg account since October!

yakuza wrote:
..The opening ship battle scene is one of my favorites for surround sound..

Hey that IS a good one! I hadn't seen the movie since it first came out on DVD and had forgotten about that scene. I always rip using unencoded audio. YIKES!

Thanks for the welcome guys. Much appreciated!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm 

Hey Sheldon J Plankton Welcome to the forums.

We all have New Egg Accounts around here. I think our banks now own stock in New Egg just to profit more from our purchases. I do not know who has the biggest purchase history here but my wallet is feeling if for sure.

dbone1026 has a point about addiction and its very addictive and soon I worry if the DEA or FDA or some other Federal Agency will start regulating our additions. Who knows what all these things do especially when you look at cell phones the other addiction in life but we can simply turn those off or ignore them while turning our servers off is out of the question.

You know things are getting out of control when your servers make more noise then your dogs.

Now you have one advantage that very few have and that your stuff is wife friendly. (Looking around the room) nope no wife here.

So welcome to the site and enjoy the ride.....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Not sure exactly what yer after, but.
for making local paths appear as drive letters you can use the SUBST command.
at a command prompt type subst /?

You can also mount physical drives as folders within other drives using mount points.
I have wondered if a mointpoint could be used within WHSv1 to add GPT volumes to the storage pool without actually doing so.
Might be a way to fool WHS to use raid sets.

Thanks