It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:04 pm 

HI everyone on mss.net.

I am planning on building my first WHS. This build will be targeting the V2 release of WHS as I see no point setting up a V1 server so close to launch of V2. I am Currently playing with the V2 (vail) beta in a virtual box & i like what i see so far.
This is to replace my current NAS device, a synology ds106j, which has ran out of storage space.

I am looking to build a low power server that will store all my media and documents in a central location. Also like the network backup functionality.

Here is the spec I am thinking about, any comments etc are most welcome.

Case:
Lian Li PC-Q08A
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... s_index=64

MB + CPU
Gigabyte GA-D525TUD with embedded dual core athlon 1.8ghz
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/pro ... id=3549#sp

Storage Drives
2 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2TB-Sams ... -89-ms-NCQ
One for shared folders and the other for folder duplication.

Boot Drive
I believe it is a good idea to have a seperate drive for the OS & was thinking about a PATA 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive.
I also beleive it needs to be at least 160gb when formatted or the OS will not install

Optical Drive
I have a spare dvdrw that i could have on the ide channel alonfg with the boot drive although I cant really see any need for it.

RAM
at least 2GB, possibly 4 GB of
Kingston KVR1066D3N7/2G ValueRam 2GB PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL7 240pin DIMM
http://www.saverstore.com/product/20035 ... 40pin-DIMM

PSU
Still havent decided on this, initial thoughts are a Corsair CX400W
http://www.corsair.com/products/cx/default.aspx

This build would allow for further expansion of up to 4 more HDD's (case Limit) which i am sure will be more than enough for me as i dont have a lot of video items, mostly mp3's and photos.

I will also be looking to stream the media to PS3, xbox360, ipod touch & i also have media centre PC, although i dont use it as my main source of recorded tv (may change though).

All my PC's, netbooks etc are win 7

Thanks
Graham.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 pm 

If you build that server do not rely on it to store your data or you could lose it. Play with it but do not be quick to relplace your NAS. While Vail looks pretty its just a preview and one that came with a 16 page document listing all the known issues with it so its not ready for prime time just yet.

As for your system drive I would not use that particular drive. I would look to instal something faster for the system drive. While I have never used a Solid State Drive the prices of them are comming down quickly so much so that I am not contemplating using one for my current server and for other applications as well. You can go with a smaller drive if you like but the 160 GB would be more then sufficient for just the Vail OS. Seagate as a 2.5" Momentous XT Drive out thats a hybrid drive which uses SSD technology and I have been tempted to trying one out but Seagate is not on my happy list anymore so I have to come to terms with that. I know many use Seagate drives and are happy with them I am just had to many failures for my comfort level but that Momentous XT Drive has me wanting to give them another try but the issue here is with me and I am not out to bash Seagate just wish abit reluctant is all.

I think the Samsung Drives are good. I have a couple of them running in my server now for a the past few months and they seem to run well. I do like the Hitachi and WD Green EADS Drives as well.

As far as planning your storage capacity I would give this some additional thought. I remember when 1-2 TB's was all that I would ever need and now I have like 20 TB of installed capacity. Today you say you do not have many movies but if you get the movie bug you will need drives and drives you shall use and if not then you should be fine but please take the time to determine what your full needs are so your server can grow with you. Now if you fill up your enclosure you can continue to expand your storage capacity outside your box but it will begin to get expensive over time for the additional enclosures but if your needs are limited and you know them best then you should be fine with your planned enclosure.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am 

Thanks for taking the time to comment Comp1962, appreciate it.

I have no plans to replace my NAS straight away, I do plan on just playing with the beta of V2 until it is released. I am only really planning this just now as I have suffered an achilles tendon injury and am pretty much housebound. This will take my mind off it a bit.

I have had a look at those seagate drives you mentioned and while they do look very nice I am looking for a Pata drive so that i can keep the 4 sata ports on the MB for storage drives.
But I assume that getting a 7200 rpm drive would be worth it? If so i may go the route of a 3.5" hdd and put it in the cd drive bay as i can hardly fine any 7200rpm 2.5" pata drives.
One of the reasons i was thinking of putting the 4gb of ram in was to cut down on paging file use on a slow drive.

As for the storage capacity, I curently use lovefilm (movie rental) which also has an on demand service so i cant legally keep digital copies of movies. Dont get me wrong there are the odd few of my favourites that i will purchase and rip to mp4 or similar for watching again but not many.
My current plan would allow for a further 4 Hdds internally 8TB (or 4TB with folder duplication) giving me 12TB (6TB wih duplication). In relation to my NAS which has 0.5TB this is a massive leap which i feel will last me for many years to come.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:59 pm 

While Vail is available for download and its nice to play with it I can not tell you enough not to rely on it for anything because its not really ready and it is a beta with known issues which you should review. I am not trying to discourage you from it just want to make certain you understand there are issues with.

Obviously I do run Windows Home Server v1 on 4 servers and I built a test unit just to run Vail but mostly just to play with it and see what it had to offer and it does do some nice things but I am much more happier with WHS v1. In time I know Vail will be released but there are some things I have to be concerned with and so I have to get back on the Microsoft Connect Site to see whats happening with Vail to confirm if what others have to say about it is true.

Anyway I do urge you to read as much as you can about Vail and I do encourage you to play with and and learn from it but understand it does have know issues that may or may not pop up on you so read everything you can so you will understand what your getting into and understand how to work around issues as they arise.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 am 

thanks again and let me reasure you that i will not be relying on it for anything & in fact may try v1 first just for the sake of it.

I have begun ordering the componenst & they should start arriving next week. :)
I havent ordered a boot drive yet as i have found an ide to sata converter that may allow me to use one of those hybrid drives you mentioned. will need to check it fits in the case ok.
http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-c ... -5D3P.html
looks like a usefull device although it does have it's limitations.

Thanks