It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 pm 

Hi,

I plan on building a big Norco-4220 server with 2TB, 1.5TB and 1TB hard drives. I currently use a Drobo 4 bay connected to a Apple TimeCapsule thru USB to share it for my Media Streamer (Popcorn Hour and a Media PC).

I know I want a Norco-4220 because it's the cheapest option for a 20 bay server. My question is, what Motherboard / CPU /SATA card to use in it !!! I'm open to Intel or AMD (prefer Intel a bit..). My real concern is Data security. Is there any RAID option with using the SuperMicro SAS card (the cheap one) ? I don't care if it's Software RAID if that allows me to change a busted drive without too much problem and not lost any DATA.

What's best ? Supermicro card x 2 (the one with SAS connector) to Backplane of Norco-4220. That setup will give me 16 drive suport for Data ? and Onboard SATA to backplane (with a SAS to 4xSATA cable) for the other 4 drives ?? Also, does those card are PCI, PCI-Express ?

What's the best motherboard for using thoses 2 card ?

I'm really lost at finding a good motherboard. I don't want that to cost me a leg and a arm...

I read a lot of post here on mss.met, but i'm seeking more feedback of people.

I will probably wait for VAIL if you guys tell me to do so (I'm not in a hury, my Drobo still have 1TB free)

Any suggestion for PSU, Motherboard, CPU ? Thank you !!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Here is one possible source of information to get you started. If you scroll down you will see a section on servers. I think the guide is a few months out of date and I don't think the updated link he shows has server info yet. I followed his guide several months ago and had great results on my Norco 4220 server.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 9786#Media Storage Sever

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:45 am 

Thank you. Excellent guide. I have to check the one from March for a system based on Norco, but that's ok. I do not plan to go multi-server case (like the guide of June). I'll probably go with the Gygabyte board of March guide (and all the parts of 20 HD II) but maybe i'll wait for the new Norco 4224 and VAIL final build. I know that i'll probably need to change something (or add a slower card) to manage the 4 supp. hard drive of the 4224 case...

Thanks