It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am 

Hello Fellow Media and Server enthusiasts
I am very new to building computers and require some advice on what you would use to build my dream setup.
I am attempting to build fairly green but also fairly powerful. All of this at a reasonable price preferably under $700 US.

the requirements in order of priority are:
1 This rig will be used to store backups and Geneology files that are extremely important to protect. I would like to use a linux type OS to do a software raid1 backup across multiple 2 TB hdds.
--a Need case capable of holding 6x 3.5inch Hdds+1 CD/dvdplayer and keeping them sufficiently cool accessibility isn't required but might be nice.
--b Decent quality

Not required but nice to haves: (edited this line)
2 I would like this rig to stream media to other computers (all windows based 1 XP home, 2 XP pro, 1 XP MCE, 1 Vista,1 7) and several soon to be available media recievers one of which is the Roku HD media streamer(apps being developed).
a. Hardware must be able to transcode when ever needed for media streaming. Expected max connections are 3HD streams, but most likely 1HD once in a while.
b. Hardware must be able to allow software to check status/create backups for a max of 2 machines at once/ file handling/ unknown.
3 I would like to use the rig for doing scientific and research projects specifically Computaitonal fluid dynamics when not under heavy use. I DON'T expect my research to be so intensive that it needs 4 cores and thunderingly fast computation, but I wouldn't object if all this can be done for under $600. Might want to do this using virtual machines.

Have already:
-- I have the harddrives I plan on using minus a system drive possible or OS of this computer... might use a flash disk or something simple. 2x SATA HDs WD(enterprise green) 2TB. Will get other Hdds as needed.
-- CD/DVD rom
-- Home network

Ideas sofar include using:
--Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
--i7 or i5 processors sound nice but I'm new to this.
--Integrated video is sufficient for needs.
-- Needs 6 SATA ports on MoBo.
-- A few USB ports.
-- DDR3 would be nice.
-- Smaller case would be nice, but mid size is fine.
-- Not sure if intel Atom is strong enough for needs, but like that its lower power requirements.
Trying to make it Future resistant but not future proof.

So as you can see I need a little help on what people think is good these days!

Thank you all I love that this comunity is so experienced!

Last edited by curtthemartian on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

First i want to welcome you to the forum.

I kind of have an idea what you are looking for because i had to build a poerful enough computer to handle my wifes research for her PhD. If you want to do "Computaitonal fluid dynamics" without hiccups and some what fast you will need to build a system that is going to cost you over your $700 USD budget. Also i would suggest building a rig just for that and another one to act as your server. You dont what to do all that work in the same computer you are using to stream media because the performance is going to decrease a lot.

Quote:
ideas sofar include using:
--Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
--i7 or i5 processors sound nice but Im new to this.
--Integrated video is sufficient for needs.
-- needs 6 SATA ports on MoBo
-- few USB ports
-- DDR3 would be nice

From the above parts list only the case, the mobo, the processor (if using the i5 or i7) ,the DDR3 RAM and the PSU will account for a great part if not all of the $700.
I am sure you have a useable computer right now, so you can safe money by upgrading that one and building a server to handle files, remote access and media streaming.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:49 pm 

Thanks for the reply cubanblood.

Alright so maybe I need to make sure that it wont be streaming while its doing its research. I dont expect streaming to be a major function of this rig except maybe in 2 years as it gets to be a much more demanded service. I just want it to be able to do it to 2 comouters at once if needbe.

As for cost, there are tons of deals out there for boards and what not that I think I can reasonably get this sort of thing to be under $700. I'm just trying to get a baseline for what to look at. I do not want to use a RAID hardware option. I also dont expect this computer to be in use 24/7, this is why I think I can do a little science on it aswell.

I don't have to have the i5 or i7, I am just looking for suggestions on what I should use. I don't plan on having a modeling system that goes so hard core into computation that it will take months, but I do plan on havivng it take weeks if needed. My 5 year old laptop has been able to do CFD at a reasonable rate with a single core processor, so I expect that modern multi core prosessors will be able to do the job just fine. I am just looking to do some basic level research for some 2D aerodynamic simulations. 2D is much much simpler than 3D. Also I am not doing this research for a school or work, just to see if I can design a better wind generator. :mrgreen:

**So if you have a parts list of something reasonably comparable I'd like to hear what you used. I would like to hear what you used even if it was designed to stream to more people or even over built. I want to hear these because I want to do some account for the demand on the science.

**My rig needs to be able to reliably maintain backups from other computers and hold information for geneology that can be file served as needed.

I do have a computer available, but sofar it looks like I need to make a new rig to have these functions. The old rig is running windows XP MCE, and based on my family's needs it looks like I should not use it as a do all system. If I were to, it would lose too much functitonality as an everyday very lightly used computer or backup for when other computers break down.

Again thanks to all that read and responded!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:59 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The one i built for my wife has the following part:

Intel Core i7 (LGA1366)
Mobo: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP

Plus HDD that she uses for her thing, and the power supply and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

She uses AutoCad a lot so she needed the power and she wanted extra just in case.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 pm 

cubanblood how much did that all cost you?

and Other people are welcome to suggest what they would use:-) Pleaaseeee!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

well including the cd/dvd burners,video card, case, processor, RAM, PSU and a few other minor things around $1400 (not including the hard drives)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

It's like cars, if you can afford the premium gas get the V8...

Thanks